Poll

Are The Beatles Overated?

Yes (They Suck!)
6 (17.1%)
No (They Were Ahead Of Their Time)
29 (82.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: December 29, 2009, 12:05:18 PM

Author Topic: Are The Beatles Overated?  (Read 12984 times)

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
Re: Are The Beatles Overated?
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »
In a word:  no.

Offline Thehorsefly [whinny!]

• Desert Rose
  • Nobody gonna feel no pain,Nobody gonna cry someday
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »
 The Beatles most certainly do not suck. I'm a fan of the Beatles personally, and I think that even if you aren't a fan of the Beatles, you should at least recognize and appreciate the tremendous impact that they made. That's undeniable. However, I personally get just a little annoyed when people say that the Beatles are and always will be the best. They certainly are one of the best, but to say that they take the # 1 spot for the rest of eternity is...not really fair. I think that is overratting them.

In short, The Beatles deserve to be recognized as one of the best bands, but I don't think they are the absolute greatest band of all time. They were brilliant, but ultimately, this as all just opinion anyway. My 2 cents.  ;D  Rambling over.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
I just can't seem to stop listening to The Beatles lately and they are without doubt the greatest band in the history of popular music.  They are still not my favourite band or even second favourites, but the diverse body of work that they created over only an 8 year period means that it is impossible to overrate them.

Offline hartroc

• Numb
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
This option should be added to this Poll:

• Yes (They Suck!)
• Slightly (But They're Still Good)
• No (They Were Ahead of Their Time)

-------------------------------------------------

The Beatles changed music forever. The amount of great material they released in their short career is stunning, and personally I love their music. That said, I think they are a bit overrated. I mean, people cite them as the best band ever even if they've never listened to them, simply because everyone else says they are. Their early work was quite mediocre really (Love Me Do, anyone?), and while their lyrics are mostly good, very few have stricken me as particularly poetic or deep. Surprisingly average, considering the hype.

But it wasn't necessarily their songs that gave/give them their reputation; technically, plenty of better songs have been written. It was their experimentation, their innovation, and the overall attitude that they brought to the world of music that made them legends. This makes them a great band, one of the best...But not necessarily great musicians.

I don't think any band should be handed the title of "the greatest" without having the decision thought through, and people tend to simply go with the crowd when it comes to the Beatles.

Anyway, I'm not voting in this poll simply because neither of the options accurately represents my viewpoint.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
I would have answered slightly as well, but they had a right to be.  They were one of the greatest (I think absolutes are too limiting) bands ever, and the key is band.  U2 really aren’t all that different, and I know you’ll find many people that will make similar arguments for or against them. 

Seeing that this is an old thread, that I don’t remember reading before (or I would have probably responded earlier), I find the arguments about Pop vs. Rock and the Beatles vs. Rolling Stones, etc to be humorous.

Pop and Rock are not mutually exclusive genres.  Many pop songs are also rock and many rock songs are also pop.  Part of what made the Beatles (even U2, the Stones, the Who, etc) famous were the fact that they were rock groups who wrote some pop songs that were extremely popular.  Just look at how many hits various rockers have had.  It is usually because their songs are popular.  It isn’t a bad thing.

The Beatles were so successful because they wrote so many popular songs, and that is what often puts them at the top of many lists of the greatest ever.  It also follows that writing so many popular songs (and having three accomplished song writers in your band), there are going to be those that are influenced by you.  And when you are the first to do what the Beatles did, that is automatically going to give you a lead on almost everyone that follows. 

Now the reason I think they are slightly over-rated is I don’t think they were necessarily the best in many aspects of what they did, but then I am not sure what bands are at least when looking at the whole package.   

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
I love love love the Beatles, but yes, they are a little overrated.

any band besides U2 that is called the greatest band of all time is overrated anyways.  ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I find the arguments about Pop vs. Rock and the Beatles vs. Rolling Stones, etc to be humorous.

I found that quite funny too; in particular, the defensiveness that some people have to The Beatles being labelled a pop band rather than a rock band, as though there is an assumption that pop music is in some way inferior to rock music.

And when you are the first to do what the Beatles did, that is automatically going to give you a lead on almost everyone that follows.  

The Beatles are in no way regarded as the best single band in the history of popular music because they did it first.  Other artists have had 40 years to better their body of work and yet, no single artist has ever done so.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:47:45 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »

Their early work was quite mediocre really (Love Me Do, anyone?)

I certainly don't think their debut album Please Please Me is mediocre.

But it wasn't necessarily their songs that gave/give them their reputation; technically, plenty of better songs have been written. It was their experimentation, their innovation, and the overall attitude that they brought to the world of music that made them legends.

No other single artist has ever written technically, plenty of better songs.  The Beatles musical experimentation was always bang up-to-date with the developments in recording technology, that made it possible.

Anyway, I'm not voting in this poll simply because neither of the options accurately represents my viewpoint.

This is just as well because voting closed on December 29 2009. :D

Offline hartroc

• Numb
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2011, 11:56:39 PM »

Their early work was quite mediocre really (Love Me Do, anyone?)

I certainly don't think their debut album Please Please Me is mediocre.

But it wasn't necessarily their songs that gave/give them their reputation; technically, plenty of better songs have been written. It was their experimentation, their innovation, and the overall attitude that they brought to the world of music that made them legends.

No other single artist has ever written technically, plenty of better songs.  The Beatles musical experimentation was always bang up-to-date with the developments in recording technology, that made it possible.

This is just as well because voting closed on December 29 2009. :D

Well, Please Please Me was comparatively mediocre. It didn't represent the band they would become, and much better albums have been made by others (PLEASE don't disagree with this!  :P ). As for the better songs thing...the Beatles' experimentation is what made them, I think I already said that. In my mind, a truly good song sounds fantastic even when stripped down to just an acoustic guitar or piano and vocals. As I said, most of their lyrics never struck me as particularly great (though there are a fair number of exceptions), though their melodies were for the most part, brilliant (once agian, with exceptions  :-\) It was their use of the studio as an instrument and their innovation that made them.

Then again, I really shouldn't be arguing against them, since I can't name a "better" band, per say. I can name plenty I prefer to listen to, but I recognize that that's not the same thing.

;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:58:17 PM by hartroc »

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
12 albums in 6 years, all of them great, all of them innovative, all of them different - overrated? GTFO

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »
12 albums in 6 years, all of them great, all of them innovative, all of them different - overrated? GTFO

And never before or since has an artist experimented with their sound alongside just-in-time developments in the recording technology that made the experimentation possible. 8)

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:20 AM »

I agree. Rubber Soul, White Album, Help, Revolver and Abbey Road are fantastic.