Author Topic: New Years Traditions?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
New Years Traditions?
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »
Anyone got any out of the ordinary New Year's traditions?

When I was a kid and played sports pretty much year-round, I used to get a bunch of coupons for free Happy Meals at McDonald's, free Wendy's Frosties, free Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets, etc.  Anyway, all those coupons expired on December 31 of that year, so my mom and I would go around and redeem all our coupons for the worst conglomeration of food ever.  But we had a blast!!!!

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
Re: New Years Traditions?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Sparkling grape juice while listening to New Year's Day as the clock strikes. 8)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:20:29 AM »
OK please don't laugh at me now because I am going to sound OLD!  Years ago when the clock stuck midnight, all the people on our street would come out banging pots and pans to make lots of noise. I am not sure if this was a thing we did in the city or I just had crazy neighbors  :D!  It is not done anymore but it was fun.

An old Italian tradition was to get the entire family together to watch the ball drop and eat sausage and peppers. 25 of my first cousins would crowd my Grandmother's very small apartment and have the time of our lives.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:29:14 AM »
SG-- we did the pots and pans thing too!  The noise is supposed to drive away evil spirits.

I was raised by my grandparents who came from "The Old Country" and were more than a little religious and superstitious so New Year's was a pretty big deal-- more so than Christmas.

In the Jewish faith you prepare for Rosh Hashanah by making sure your house is in order-- pantry stocked, bills paid, and most importantly you begin the time of self reflection where you forgive those who have trespassed against you and ask their forgiveness in return (this does not have to be done in person-- it can be something you just do internally). The idea being that however you leave the previous year, is how you will spend the next one. So I carry the same traditions over to the calendar year. It really does work. Some quirky things my family has always done:

Make sure you have some cash in your wallet (must be cash, even if it is a few singles)-- this ensures you have money for the upcoming year.

Eat 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight NYE for luck

Eat round food New Years day-- donuts, citrus fruit-- it symbolizes unity and luck

Eat pork-- because the pig is low to the ground it is considered a steady animal and lucky

Eat greens or cabbage-- they symbolize wealth

Have a good looking dark haired man be your first visitor in the new year -- this also assures luck- we had a neighbor who fit the bill and would go to everyone's house new year's day.

Put coins under your doormat so wealth comes to your home in the new year.

Always wear new clothes on New Year's Day

Do not eat chicken-- it is considered unlucky since chickens "scratch" backwards. To eat chicken on New Year's day is to move back, not forward. Chick Fil Et on New Year's Eve, however, is OK ;)

The oddest tradition my family has comes from my grandmother and I don't know where this comes from. But every year on New Year's Day she would go to the store and buy all new underwear-- everything. Then she would go home and throw out all her existing unmentionables. I always found this odd since she is a woman who recycles tea bags at least 4 times. But this was her tradition. Sad to say I have adapted it and cannot seem to break the habit.

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 05:32:29 AM »
We also eat beans every year.  Usually we have 12 Bean Soup.  I forget why, but my grandfather always calls to make sure that we will eat our beans!  :D

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 05:33:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We also eat beans every year.  Usually we have 12 Bean Soup.  I forget why, but my grandfather always calls to make sure that we will eat our beans!  :D

I forgot that one-- in the south it is Black Eyes Peas!

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:23:39 AM »
Last year, and this really isn't a tradition really, my family volunteered to serve the homeless. It was fun because they were all so grateful and it was nice to see that they were getting fed. It made me realize how blessed I was to have food every night.

Offline theocean

• Deep In the Heart
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
Beli I love those traditions, the jewish faith is so cool. So many neat old carried down
from generation to generation. I even will try a few of them. I think the coins under
my door, a few bucks in my wallet. The dark haired man, hmm I will have to find one.
That would be Edge wouldnt it??? :D

We used to go to my grandmothers as a child. She was widowed so she lived in a tiny
tiny apartment, but all 20 of us would crowd in for New Years Day dinner and seriously the
livingroom was the size of a large bathroom, but the guys watched football, the women talked
in the kitchen and us kids six of us would play in her bathroom, the only place for kids privacy.
Once we all hid behind the shower curtain and someone came in to use the bathroom. We didnt
know what to do but started laughing and got kicked out. :D

Today with my family we usually watch the ball drop from NYC and have snacks around.
Tomorrow a nice dinner and football games or movies.

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
We eat black eyed peas.
And now I have a new tradition.... My hubs and I got married on New Years Day 2005, so we also celebrate our wedding anniversary on New Years Day.

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
In addition to eating blackeyed peas and greens, I bury a dollar to bring money.

On New Year's Eve you bury a dollar while saying, "I'm burying my poverty." Then on the first you dig it up saying, "I'm digging up my wealth."  Then you put the dollar away somewhere because you can't ever spend it.

Now, you can do this with any bill but remember you can't ever spend it so don't go burying 100s. And it doesn't have to be in the ground either, just in dirt. Potted plants work quite well. Just be sure to mark the location of the bill because you don't want to have to dig up your whole yard!

Offline theocean

• Deep In the Heart
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In addition to eating blackeyed peas and greens, I bury a dollar to bring money.

On New Year's Eve you bury a dollar while saying, "I'm burying my poverty." Then on the first you dig it up saying, "I'm digging up my wealth."  Then you put the dollar away somewhere because you can't ever spend it.

Now, you can do this with any bill but remember you can't ever spend it so don't go burying 100s. And it doesn't have to be in the ground either, just in dirt. Potted plants work quite well. Just be sure to mark the location of the bill because you don't want to have to dig up your whole yard!

That sounds like Beli's putting the coins under the doormat. I am doing a few of these, I need more financial peace. ;)

Offline Sir MoFo

• Elevated
  • Vorsprung durch technik
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 06:32:42 PM »
Get wasted.

I don't do it though...

And of course, the 12 grapes thing, and drink wine, etc.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love has come again!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 08:21:29 PM »
we watch a u2 concert! and drink champagne and count down with d**k Clark.

tonight's Zoo Tv!

I'M READY FOR WHAT'S NEXT!!!

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »
I wish my family would watch Zoo TV on New Year's Eve with me.  :(  It's okay, we're watching House Hunters.  :D

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
I WAS watching Boston Elevation, but my mom and dad flipped out on me for watching too much U2. :(