Author Topic: New Years Traditions?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
Re: New Years Traditions?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »
*HUGS* for JTree.  :(

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
I can't watch a U2 DVD after they come home from work anyomore. :-[

And I can't watch them earlier because my little brother and sister have power over the TV during the earlier parts of the day. >:(

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
It has been a while but I thought I would revive the thread, given the date.

A new tradition I have adapted is wearing red on NYD-- this is supposed to bring good luck.

Also-- do not wash clothes or dishes NYD as this is washing people and things out of your life for the upcoming year. You are also not supposed to take anything out of the house, including trash as this symbolizes a year of losing things. If you plan to go out for the day, leave money in your car (if you can) overnight so it will be there for you if you go out and not be "removed" from your home.

Any other traditions?

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »
We always eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. My personal tradition, starting in 2011, was to listen to the U2 song New Year's Day. ;) Also, there was one tradition that my dad upheld where the first-footer on New Year's (the first person to cross the threshold to your home on New Year's) received a sip of Scotch, presumably for good luck. I don't know if that's an actual tradition- I just remember it because my sisters and I were the first people to come to his apartment one year, and the Scotch tasted disgusting. :D (In my underage drinking opinion, though. I'm sure it was good Scotch.)

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It has been a while but I thought I would revive the thread, given the date.

A new tradition I have adapted is wearing red on NYD-- this is supposed to bring good luck.

Also-- do not wash clothes or dishes NYD as this is washing people and things out of your life for the upcoming year. You are also not supposed to take anything out of the house, including trash as this symbolizes a year of losing things. If you plan to go out for the day, leave money in your car (if you can) overnight so it will be there for you if you go out and not be "removed" from your home.

Any other traditions?

I'll be doing the coins around the door again as usual....and a few others you have wrote back in 09 Bels.
Happy New Year ( I almost wrote Happy New York).. :D :D :D

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
We stay home and eat steamed shrimp.  It is a common food where I live.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
^ We ate barbecued shrimp! But I certainly don't want to make a tradition out of the peeling and deveining those suckers! One bummer of a tradition is putting away the Christmas decorations...

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »

This was also our tradition for years, w/ Old Bay of course. Then...something happened and I don't care nearly as much for steamed shrimp. So, no steamed shrimp this year.

The kids and I watch the New Year's eve shows and they all go crazy for their favorite performers. Dh comes up from his man cave right before midnight to watch the ball drop and make fun of us.  :P
On New Year's Day, hubby makes a big pot of chili, we veg out, watch movies, play board games and we used to all watch the Rose Bowl Parade. Now everyone is still sleeping even at 11am!  :o
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:22:27 AM by mdmomof7 »

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »

This was also our tradition for years, w/ Old Bay of course. Then...something happened and I don't care nearly as much for steamed shrimp. So, no steamed shrimp this year.

The kids and I watch the New Year's eve shows and they all go crazy for their favorite performers. Dh comes up from his man cave right before midnight to watch the ball drop and make fun of us.  :P
On New Year's Day, hubby makes a big pot of chili, we veg out, watch movies, play board games and we used to all watch the Rose Bowl Parade. Now everyone is still sleeping even at 11am!  :o

Yes!  The only proper way to steam shrimp.