Author Topic: New song first listens  (Read 1455 times)

Offline jralex12

• Refugee
  • just because i rock doesnt mean im made of stone
New song first listens
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:34:15 AM »
im 22 so ive been a U2 fan since i heard my day play pride in the car when i was 5 or 6  and actung baby was new but i really didnt start paying attention to first songs from the new albums until discotheque came out

so my question is which song did you like most in your opinion on the first listen from the first song of the next album?

discotheque from pop
beautiful day from atyclb
vertigo from htdaab
get on your boots nloth
or other

discuss!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:49:19 AM by jralex12 »

Offline u2009

• Wanderer
Re: New song first listens
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:37:17 AM »
get on your boots, hands down.

The others u mentioned are def not my favorite tunes.

The Fly was great as well.

Offline ChoriU2

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »
In order...

1.- Vertigo
2.- Beautiful Day
3.- Get On Your Boots
4.- Discotheque

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:55:43 AM »
1-Beautiful Day   (just cause if so affirming and can pick me up no matter how down i get)
2- Boots

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:01:27 AM »
Desire was the first single that was a big deal for me. I remember my Dad and I seeing and being blown away by U2 at Live Aid but my first album wasn't until Joshua Tree came out. I wore out the tape several times. U2 was instantly my favorite band. I got Under a Blood Red Sky on VHS and watched it almost daily. Then I heard about Rattle and Hum, and it was the first time I sat around all day listening to the radio for the debut. I taped it on the portable cassette deck and listened it to it over and over. I also remember seeing Rattle and Hum at the theater, still the only film I've been to where they were selling t-shirts and programs outside. I still have both. 

That was my first single experience but my favorite is "The Fly" hands down. I was 15 years old and obsessed with music especially U2. The wait between Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby seemed like forever, and the only thing in between was the "Night and Day" cover, which I also loved. I can remember hearing "The Fly" for the first time and loving it, most of my friends who also loved U2 hated it. It was so new and exciting. It sounded nothing like U2 or anything else I'd ever heard. I also watched the debut of the video on MuchMusic and it blew my mind. I taped it and watched it over and over again. Things were so different back then, no internet, no easy access to bootlegs, so when something new came out it was an event. I can also remember the local rock station playing cuts from AB the entire weekend before, and I sat by the radio all day taping each song as it came on. I also remember the unveiling of Zoo TV, again no internet so it was all about finding newspaper and magazine articles, or short clips on Much Music or MTV.

Numb was a similar experience for me, and again almost everyone I knew hated it. I loved it and the entire Zooropa album. Pop began the internet era. Does anyone remember the studio cam for POP or the 30 second clips of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man, they were worse than AM radio quality but were so exciting.

The internet is amazing for music, and I wouldn't trade the instant access to both new music and the live stuff for anything but it has ruined some of the excitement and build up for new stuff.  Today is the exception, the combination of the live performance earlier and the fact that I hadn't heard the song before, it was very exciting to be on this board when it when live on U2.com. I'm listening to it over and over again, and discussing it with other fans. Pretty cool indeed.

Offline GYPSY Girl

• Elevated
  • Soul Of A Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:06:04 AM »
my list of first time listens and loved

1-With or Without You
2-Vertigo
3-Get On Your Boots
4-Desire
5-One

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 03:26:23 AM »
1 With or Without You
2 Beautiful Day
3 Pride
4 Boots
5 Vertigo
6 The Fly
7 Discotheque

Sorry but don't think WOWU can be topped but Yer Boots is one of the strongest first singles better than Vertigo for sure.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 03:28:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1 With or Without You
2 Beautiful Day
3 Pride
4 Boots
5 Vertigo
6 The Fly
7 Discotheque

Sorry but don't think WOWU can be topped but Yer Boots is one of the strongest first singles better than Vertigo for sure.

Doh ! forgot Desire  ....we can call it tie between Yer Boots and Desire for fourth.........