Author Topic: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Appreciation Thread!  (Read 12977 times)

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Appreciation Thread!
« on: January 16, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »
Basically, just tell which hard rock/heavy metal bands you like, why you like them etc.

Some of my favorites are: Bon Jovi, Metallica, Guns 'n' Roses, and AC/DC.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
It's not really my cup of tea.  My brother was into this kind of music in a big way in the 80's.  He says that Grunge killed it off.

I used to quite like The Scorpions.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »
Newer School: The Answer, Mastodon, Volbeat, Tool, WolfMother, Opeth

hurricane hugo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's not really my cup of tea.  My brother was into this kind of music in a big way in the 80's.  He says that Grunge killed it off.

I used to quite like The Scorpions.
your bro should start listening again. I walked away from it for about 8 years myself, but the '00s have brought some incredible songwriting to the fore. Indeed, some of the best - and certainly the most fearless - songwriting is to be found among bands that have come into their own this decade. Bands like:

Nightwish
Opeth
Mastodon
Meshuggah
Tarot
Sonata Arctica
Violator

are bringing the metal arguably better than anyone in the genre's past ever did. That's just a few of thethe bands changing metal for the better these days.

#@!

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »
I'm definitely a fan of the more hardcore stuff... Linkin Park and System Of A Down are among my favorite bands. I'm also pretty big fan of gothic metal (Evanescence, Within Temptation, Nightwish) and Nine Inch Nails. A few of my guilty pleasures are also mainstream radio-metal bands (Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin).

Offline VoodooDolly

• Refugee
  • Scream without raising your voice...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:38:53 PM »
Ooooh I love gothic metal, especially with female vocals. Nightwish is one of my all-time favorites. And I must admit, I love a lot of 80s hair metal bands as well. :D

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:50:33 AM »
I'm definitely a fan of the more hardcore stuff... Linkin Park and System Of A Down are among my favorite bands. I'm also pretty big fan of gothic metal (Evanescence, Within Temptation, Nightwish) and Nine Inch Nails. A few of my guilty pleasures are also mainstream radio-metal bands (Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin).

Linkin Park and Evanescence are both really cool. In the End and Bring Me To Life are some of my favorite songs.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »

Linkin Park and Evanescence are both really cool. In the End and Bring Me To Life are some of my favorite songs.

These aren't really hard rock or heavy metal though. Linkin Park are nu metal and Evanescence are pre-Emo to put a label on them!

hurricane hugo

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
can't believe I left Amon Amarth and Kreator off my 1st list. no matter - there will be more. :)

anyway, here's some Viking death metal courtesy of AA - one of their most popular tunes, Runes To My Memory: 

*headbangs*

#@!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:27:11 PM by hurricane hugo »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
Children of Bodom

These guys are just incredible at what they do, my #1 metal band.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »

These aren't really hard rock or heavy metal though. Linkin Park are nu metal and Evanescence are pre-Emo to put a label on them!

Sure, but I still like them.

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »

Sure, but I still like them.

Evanescence is Pre-emo? Are you joking? This is same problem everybody seems to have nowadays... thinking the goth and emo are the same thing. Emo=annoying people shrieking and moaning lyrics about how their life sucks. Goth=dignified, vaguely menacing people who actually have fashion sense and play good music. And even if they were pre-emo, I still would hesitate to call them such, since Amy Lee is such an amazing singer and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the word "emo".

hurricane hugo

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »
Emo started out as "emotional hardcore", exemplified best by this band:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

the lead singer would sing himself to tears every night, hence the name. he went on to co-found Fugazi.

back to your regularly scheduled thread.

#@!

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
I wouldn't really class Bon Jovi as hard rock or heavy metal!  :D

Anyway, I've been partial to a little hard rock over the years, but I'm more a fan of alternative rock myself. Placebo, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, that sort of stuff. I am a pretty big fan of Marilyn Manson as well, have been since Mechanical Animals came out. I know he's kind of frowned upon in heavy metal circles but I love the guy. Nothing they've done has been as good as MA but I still like a few of the album tracks and singles. Mechanical Animals is just sublime from start to finish. Quality album.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:00:03 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:31 PM »
Metallica
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Linkin Park
Queens of the Stone Age
Van Halen
are among my faves
 *btw I'm a black 30 something year old woman living in the Caribbean* lol, yes we like rock too