Author Topic: Best Stage & Light Design  (Read 10120 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Best Stage & Light Design
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 06:02:15 AM »
Yup, gotta agree with Popmart. So much to look at.

How can you go past this?

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Or this

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Or even Giant Adam

Offline Bono Mob

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
I see a lot of very good responses. But the question is Best Stage and Light Design. "Best" is subjective to me as each person can define it differently.

Zoo TV - Lets face it the stage design at the time was tremendous. It was (at the time) never done before where you had 150 things to look at all at once. That could be a contender. But I don't think lighting played a big part. Beyond spot lights, full house lights (think Streets) and a few other changes, it was all about the stage. This was the best "Stage".

PopMart - This was also at the time a breakthrough technology. Thousands of LED lights that made up a 50 yard wide screen. Amazing. You could see that sucker from 3 miles away. Throw in the arch, the olive and the lemon and you had an unbelievable stage. The lights were amazing as the arch changed color and the screen itself was the main backdrop. To me this was the best "Lights" design.

360 - The claw is an amazing structure. To me the real technology breakthrough is the 360 screen. Never before has this technology been used, let alone work so well. The expansion, lowering, etc mixed with awesome camera work was amazing. When the entire claw would change colors combined with the added lights around the stadiums it would match the song. Throw in the moving stairwells, rotating drum kit and the sound it generated, I am not sure that could be topped. To me that captures both stage and light design.

The Promenade

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »
The claw is probably the ugliest stage set I've ever seen. Not only that but it has no visual concept behind it. Unlike ZOOTV and POPMART that were glorious. The Unforgettable Fire had a neat visual feel to it. I loved the Elevatio heart too. But then they got lazy trying to copy it on Vertigo. The last 7 years have been a sorry time for the band...

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The last 7 years have been a AWESOME time for the band...

I agree

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
i cant see anything so far beating this

or this

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »
The Claw wins, with Popmart and ZooTV in 2nd and 3rd place, respectfully. I really liked the indoor Vertigo layout too, that gets 4th place.

The Promenade

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 04:50:23 AM »

or this

It's just big for the sake of being big

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 04:58:14 AM »

or this

it's big for the sake of making the place feel small, that's what it does.

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 05:10:26 AM »
The claw is just big the first time you see it. It's not as impressive the second or third time. But it's awesome when you can see the top of the claw from the outside of the stadium.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »

or this

<3  The first picture is amazing ;D

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »

or this

I thought it made the band feel small and the atmosphere less intimate.

It's big and shiny and empty.

Pretty lights......very spinal tap

ZooTV and Popmart have it beat by miles. Artistically and as a spectacle with substance.

Offline gloriana

• Babyface
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »
Anything but the JT "stage".
Does no-one remember the Vertigo "curtain", however? Or the shadow-banners on Elevation? (which I now geekily equate with the "Boy/Girl" silhouette sequence described in U2 by U2).
Having said all that, Zoo or the Claw. And while the lemon was at once brilliant and awkward (Pop RULES!), it was pretty original for an outdoor show, methinks.

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »

or this

THATS WHY ITS INSANE  :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 01:06:35 PM »
I saw U2 in a tremendous 70,000 seat stadium last year.  Not once did I feel like I was in a tremendous 70,000 seat football stadium

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
I saw U2 in a tremendous 70,000 seat stadium last year.  Not once did I feel like I was in a tremendous 70,000 seat football stadium

I share that sentiment. Seeing the stage on YouTube or pictures does NOT do it justice. I was on the far side of the Claw and I was really worried I wouldn't be able to see the band well. I was REALLY surprised how WELL I could see them... And that huge screen with its almost DVD-like quality video helped out a lot. I was just blown away by it, and if I were to get tickets for the band's next USA tour, I would get seats where I can see the Claw as well as I can.