Author Topic: Best Stage & Light Design  (Read 10184 times)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: Best Stage & Light Design
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
Saw the Claw at the Rose Bowl. After the inevitable  "ooohhh look at that big bright shiny thing" reaction, I could have been watching at home.

The claw doesn't engage like the Popmart show or ZooTV. It is, it's there, and that's that.

I know I'm in the minority but I think it really creates a separation between band and audience, the size really reinforcing how unintimate and cold the show is.

Zoo and pop brought the audience closer as it engaged them in the show more.

The Promenade

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Saw the Claw at the Rose Bowl. After the inevitable  "ooohhh look at that big bright shiny thing" reaction, I could have been watching at home.

The claw doesn't engage like the Popmart show or ZooTV. It is, it's there, and that's that.

I know I'm in the minority but I think it really creates a separation between band and audience, the size really reinforcing how unintimate and cold the show is.

Couldn't agree more - Zoo and POP engaged because the staging had a concept behind it. It engaged the audience conceptually.

360 is a big ugly structure with no other thought behind than just to be big...

Offline Bono Mob

• Babyface
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »

I don't think PopMart was very engaging at all compared to 360. At PopMart I felt like the camera work was almost non-existant and all I could see were 4 tiny little people on a huge stage. There were not a lot of camera-to-screen shots as compared to the background images. To me it felt like a movie theatre as I had no visuals of any person movement - just tons of brightly colored images. With 360, almost the entire show is visualized on the screen with tons of movement of each member. So when you can see Edge on the 360 screen blaring his guitar and hear it, it is much better than just hearing it and seeing a screen of a cartoon image. Larry's intro to Vertigo on the drum kit as you hear it. With PopMart it was just music to blinding colors.

The Promenade

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 02:46:10 AM »

I don't think PopMart was very engaging at all compared to 360. At PopMart I felt like the camera work was almost non-existant and all I could see were 4 tiny little people on a huge stage. There were not a lot of camera-to-screen shots as compared to the background images. To me it felt like a movie theatre as I had no visuals of any person movement - just tons of brightly colored images. With 360, almost the entire show is visualized on the screen with tons of movement of each member. So when you can see Edge on the 360 screen blaring his guitar and hear it, it is much better than just hearing it and seeing a screen of a cartoon image. Larry's intro to Vertigo on the drum kit as you hear it. With PopMart it was just music to blinding colors.

The point is, POPMART had an intellectual concept behind. 360 doesn't - it isn't even 360. More 280. Also, 360 (280) appears to have nothing conceptually to do with the album its meant to be promoting. Perhaps that's partly why so many people have called it a greatest hits set. The look of 360 (280) is generic. You could tour any album with it.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »

The point is, POPMART had an intellectual concept behind. 360 doesn't - it isn't even 360. More 280. Also, 360 (280) appears to have nothing conceptually to do with the album its meant to be promoting. Perhaps that's partly why so many people have called it a greatest hits set. The look of 360 (280) is generic. You could tour any album with it.

Much of Popmart DID show the band on the screens too. There was no "High Def" back then.

Offline Bono Mob

• Babyface
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 10:48:29 AM »

I can agree on the "concept" but the original question was what was the best stage design, not the "best stage design concept relating to the latest album". Agreed that 360 does not relate to No Line. I was more pointing out that I thought 360 was a better overall concert in terms of both Light Design and Stage Design.

Also the PopMart concert I attended seemed like 50% of the screen was images and 50% was the band shots. With 360 it was more like 90% of the time was the band and 10% were images. To me the band images made it much better than high intensity colored cartoons.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:51:09 AM by Bono Mob »

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »

I can agree on the "concept" but the original question was what was the best stage design, not the "best stage design concept relating to the latest album". Agreed that 360 does not relate to No Line. I was more pointing out that I thought 360 was a better overall concert in terms of both Light Design and Stage Design.

Also the PopMart concert I attended seemed like 50% of the screen was images and 50% was the band shots. With 360 it was more like 90% of the time was the band and 10% were images. To me the band images made it much better than high intensity colored cartoons.

I agree that 360 was a better TV-watching experience.

The Promenade

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »

But the TV screens on 360 (280) are much, much smaller than the big POPMART screen - how can that be a better TV-watching experience? Anyhow, who wants to watch a band on screens? Why not stay at home...

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
Why is the 360 stage only 280? At most venues they had fans in front ,back and the sides. The stage and screen are revolutionary . Saw three Zoo shows inside and outside and my most vivid memories  are thinking WTF and can I not just watch the band, and where is the band , and is that a dance remix? , you don't need to reinvent yourselves was happy with the music.
Saying that , now the dust has settled , I can now appreciate Zoo TV a lot more now and see how amazing it was. But I was a bit scared for the future back then , where has my u2 gone, who is this Macphisto fella? But thankfully 360 has moved them back to where they belong , just the songs with great effects using an amazingly new structure that beautifully reflects each one . 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »

But the TV screens on 360 (280) are much, much smaller than the big POPMART screen - how can that be a better TV-watching experience? Anyhow, who wants to watch a band on screens? Why not stay at home...

Baby was being sarcastic, I assume.

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
Joe O: "no one goes home humming the lights"  U2 sounds amazing on this tour.  Best sound = 360. 

Alas this thread is about stage and lighting.  Zootv - ahh we were younger then with our eyes wide open.  Now we are older, completely media savvy folks who are asked to stand and are thinking about what time we have to leave the stadium to get our car out of the lot (well not actually me I take transit to the gigs and wait for the house lights but it sure as hell feels like a lot of folks have come to see a gig, not participate now doesn't it?).

Back to my point.  In other words we're not taking the time to appreciate what we are looking at.  360 is an amazing tour/structure/installation.  I have no idea how u2 can ever play stadiums in the more traditional, non 360, setting now.

That said I don't get the overall tour theme of time and space and what any of that has to do with a giant claw, not to mention NLOTH as a previous post mentions.   

So yes "best technical staging and lighting achievement" goes to 360.  "Best thematic staging achievement" goes to ZOOtv outdoors, although seeing that tour indoors was also pretty special if you were on the train with the band's new direction.  When Bullet was played outdoors on ZOO it was as if that stage was breathing fire, as Bono roared down the mic at us. 

Bono's lost some of that fire btw.....it happens.  Too bad we like our singers either hurt or angry or to be complete selfish, both. 

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2010, 07:50:45 PM »
Im surprised people are leaving out the vertigo outdoor stage.
that was pretty impressive i must say and the band (the first time for me) seemed to be engaging with the audience more....i.e adam interacting with the crowd on the b stages

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »
Im surprised people are leaving out the vertigo outdoor stage.
that was pretty impressive i must say and the band (the first time for me) seemed to be engaging with the audience more....i.e adam interacting with the crowd on the b stages

That was just a bog standard, album colour coordinated End-Stage set with a wall of light and a ramp.  I think that European, Latin American, Aussie and Jap fans were short-changed because it looked to me to be a stadium production on the cheap.  Although it could be argued that it reflected the back-to-basics rock and roll show that was Vertigo.  No such problems for the all important North American market as they got an arena show. 

The Promenade

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 04:23:13 AM »
Why is the 360 stage only 280? At most venues they had fans in front ,back and the sides. The stage and screen are revolutionary . Saw three Zoo shows inside and outside and my most vivid memories  are thinking WTF and can I not just watch the band, and where is the band , and is that a dance remix? , you don't need to reinvent yourselves was happy with the music.
Saying that , now the dust has settled , I can now appreciate Zoo TV a lot more now and see how amazing it was. But I was a bit scared for the future back then , where has my u2 gone, who is this Macphisto fella? But thankfully 360 has moved them back to where they belong , just the songs with great effects using an amazingly new structure that beautifully reflects each one . 

360 suggests total crowd interaction in the round - it also suggests the stage will be in the middle of the venue. Neither of which happen on 360 (280). At the gig I was at (and having seen video footage of other gigs), the band is still pretty much facing 'forwards' for most of the gig. Added to that, the floor area was most definitely not 360. Standing room was limited to the front and the sides - meaning if you wanted a 360 experience (ie to be able to see the band and stage from ANY angle), this simple wasn't possible. The people at the back of the stage are still stuck with watching on small TV screens or looking at the backs of the bands heads.

360 (280) is no different from a lot of other u2 gigs when they've played 'in the round' - a more honest description. All the bluster about it being unique simply isn't true.