Author Topic: New Year's Day  (Read 4217 times)

Nanda360

Re: New Year's Day
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know why the fourth verse of NYD is never sung live? Maybe the band think the song is too long with it, which is a pity, it's a great lyric:

So they say that this is the golden age
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage

It's very poignant and somewhat ironic, it's hard to believe a 23-year-old wrote it!

I could swear it was "and so we were told this is the golden age"
[/b]

Sounds like this but we're, not we were. Heard it tonight on the radio. Yes!

ok, so it's "so we are" and not "so they say that" :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
Does anyone know why the fourth verse of NYD is never sung live? Maybe the band think the song is too long with it, which is a pity, it's a great lyric.

Maybe they could change the lyrics to:

"And so we're told this is the golden age
 and gold is the reason for the tours we play."

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know A body in a soul
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
Does anyone know why the fourth verse of NYD is never sung live? Maybe the band think the song is too long with it, which is a pity, it's a great lyric.

:P

Offline Chip

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
As apparently was true for others, NYD was my #1 U2 song when I first became a fan and remained so for many years. The studio closing is a great ending, and I used to consider it indispensable to the song; I couldn't understand why the band changed it live. Only years later did I discover that the live versions follow the single edit. Over the years, I have come to believe that the melancholic studio ending, while provocative and worthwhile in that context, wouldn't work as well live. The band made the right choice for both the single (as the downbeat ending might have hurt airplay/single sales) and live, IMHO.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:10 AM »
As apparently was true for others, NYD was my #1 U2 song when I first became a fan and remained so for many years. The studio closing is a great ending, and I used to consider it indispensable to the song; I couldn't understand why the band changed it live. Only years later did I discover that the live versions follow the single edit. Over the years, I have come to believe that the melancholic studio ending, while provocative and worthwhile in that context, wouldn't work as well live. The band made the right choice for both the single (as the downbeat ending might have hurt airplay/single sales) and live, IMHO.

I think four and a half minutes is long enough for this song when it's being played live.

Offline Chip

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »

I think four and a half minutes is long enough for this song when it's being played live.

As I recall, it ran closer to five minutes at DC 360, and I didn't mind. :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »

Chip - DC 360? I missed that one. How was the sound at Fed Ex? I heard that behind the stage up top it was horrid. Ravens field was excellent for Baltimore 360.

Offline Chip

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »

Chip - DC 360? I missed that one. How was the sound at Fed Ex? I heard that behind the stage up top it was horrid. Ravens field was excellent for Baltimore 360.

The sound was great where I was, MDmom, and we were back left behind the band (thanks to Ticketmaster's initial wrong/misleading drawing of the stage). Actually, from that normally less-than-ideal spot, I felt 360 lived up to its claim of intimacy; the band never seemed that far away.

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
Hmmmm...glad your sound was good. Friends were up high and back behind the stage, just not sure if it was left or right.

Ever since the friends told me about the FedEx sound, I haven't wanted to see a concert there. Maybe they just had a bad spot.

Offline theocean

• Deep In the Heart
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 06:34:58 AM »

:D :D :D :D

Offline Shesgonnadreamoutloud

• Elevated
  • Uncertainty can be a guiding light
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
I can't believe I never really noticed that...maybe my mind just fills it in for me when I think about it  ::)

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »

:D :D :D :D

I'm more than ready to drop some more gold coins at the temple of U2. Come on, let's go boys! It's a new YEAR!!!!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
It's a really good song but the drums are boring and pedestrian.

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 03:56:47 AM »
It's a really good song but the drums are boring and pedestrian.

Stop helping the drums across the road like a little old lady.

Offline u2 fan in sc

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
NYD made me a fan of U2.  I saw the video on MTV (back when MTV would play videos) in early March 1983- I couldn't believe the beauty of it.  Their unique sound, along with the piano, captivated me.  A few months later I got the War album and was blown away.  NYD and SBS are still 2 of my favorite songs of all time.
I love the last verse and think it completes the song.  I don't understand why they omit the last verse- terrible decision IMO.