Author Topic: No To Stadiums.  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: No To Stadiums.
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 needs to become a cult band again. It's gonna happen either way, I just hope it is THEY who choose it, rather than it simply happening to them.

That is probably the wisest formulation of their current state I've ever read. Cool.

Since we've gone on a topic detour let me just say that No Line On The Horizon is the best U2 album since Achtung Baby. ;)

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »
I wish they had played ten European shows and ten north America shows in small theaters seating around 1000 people each, and the tickets were made available to fans only (such as the people who participate in forums like this). Then, after 20 shows in 20 weeks, they should have gone back to the studio and released an album that was also intended for fans like us, not the masses.

U2 needs to become a cult band again. It's gonna happen either way, I just hope it is THEY who choose it, rather than it simply happening to them.

I like the idea, but theaters with a capacity of 1000 might be a bit extreme.  During the October and War Tours they were primarily playing colleges and universities with arenas that could holt 5000-6000.  That would be a nice experience.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »
They haven't played arenas in Australia for 21 years.

I'd kill for an arena show.

I'd kill for the memory of an indoor Lovetown show.  Didn't they play something like six or seven in a row in Melbourne back in 1989?

Yep.

21 years ago.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »

Strangely, I saw U2 at The Astoria in London on the warm up to Elevation. It holds around 2,000 people - I can honestly say they weren't that good.

By all rights, that should have been a legendary show to see them at that point in their career in a small venue. Instead, they showed up not ready to play and it showed. I would not have passed on that show, but we all know they are never ready to play live when their tours start.

satellitedog01

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 02:01:03 AM »

Strangely, I saw U2 at The Astoria in London on the warm up to Elevation. It holds around 2,000 people - I can honestly say they weren't that good.

By all rights, that should have been a legendary show to see them at that point in their career in a small venue. Instead, they showed up not ready to play and it showed. I would not have passed on that show, but we all know they are never ready to play live when their tours start.

That used to be either down to indecision on how to play songs, or plain laziness/bad organizing skills... Bono should get his voice ready for the grinder... One off performances were rarely great.
BUT, he seems to have learnt his lesson, and has actually done a rather good with doing just that this time around, that surprised me.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
YES to stadiums & YES to arenas
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 02:40:08 AM »
U2 have been playing stadiums for over 25 years, and will continue to do so into the future.

Unfortunately, anyone who doesen't like stadiums is going to miss a huge chunk of not only U2, but U2 Live.
And U2 live, is where U2 is at,where we get to see them in the flesh and do their thing. I wouldn't miss that for anything.
I think I've learnt more about the band and other U2 fans at live gigs than through any other medium.

I love both types of gigs, and for both, GA standing is the only way.

virgin_prune

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »

It wasn't so much that they weren't ready - it was the usual slick U2 machine at work. They played ok, bono tried too hard etc.

More that their bombastic music doesn't suit small places. The Cure are the same - arenas suit their epic music.

The Astoria show was quite funny. Salman Rushdie was on the balcony and looked bored witless. I think one of oasis was there too. Unfortunately, I couldn't throw my drink that far...

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »
Salman Rushdie was on the balcony and looked bored witless. I think one of oasis was there too. Unfortunately, I couldn't throw my drink that far...

Is it just me or does Rushdie always looks that way?  He has a perpetual look of general disregard on his face....not bad...just indifferent.

virgin_prune

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:16 AM »
Salman Rushdie was on the balcony and looked bored witless. I think one of oasis was there too. Unfortunately, I couldn't throw my drink that far...

Is it just me or does Rushdie always looks that way?  He has a perpetual look of general disregard on his face....not bad...just indifferent.

Being intellectually superior to everyone in the building, his look of disregard seems fair...

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
I wish they had played ten European shows and ten north America shows in small theaters seating around 1000 people each, and the tickets were made available to fans only (such as the people who participate in forums like this). Then, after 20 shows in 20 weeks, they should have gone back to the studio and released an album that was also intended for fans like us, not the masses.

How about a mixed tour playing stadiums and arena's with two set designs like the Stones have done on their most recent tours and then the fans will have a choice.

They said their tour crew would not do this since the JT third leg was too much work (played arenas and some stadiums).

And while U2 may not be playing stadiums into infinity, I don't think they would play, on a regular basis, venues with a capacity of 1000 people. They might switch to arenas from now on but that's about it.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:15 PM »

Being intellectually superior to everyone in the building, his look of disregard seems fair...

Could be. He'd be a good poker player I bet.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »

I'd kill for the memory of an indoor Lovetown show.  Didn't they play something like six or seven in a row in Melbourne back in 1989?

Yep.

21 years ago.

I have a feeling they won't be playing arenas in Australia/NZ for some time to come.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »

Yep.

21 years ago.

I have a feeling they won't be playing arenas in Australia/NZ for some time to come.

Indeed. Ever.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 07:07:42 AM »

He has a medical problem with his eyelids which causes them to look half closed, which gives that impression.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: YES to stadiums & YES to arenas
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 07:15:10 AM »
U2 have been playing stadiums for over 25 years, and will continue to do so into the future.

Unfortunately, anyone who doesen't like stadiums is going to miss a huge chunk of not only U2, but U2 Live.
And U2 live, is where U2 is at,where we get to see them in the flesh and do their thing. I wouldn't miss that for anything.
I think I've learnt more about the band and other U2 fans at live gigs than through any other medium.

I love both types of gigs, and for both, GA standing is the only way.

I have only seen two U2 concerts (one in an arena the other in a field) and watch their DVD shows sparingly, and so the vast majority of my enjoyment of U2 has been listening to their albums.  I disagree that U2 live is where U2 is at these days.  In fact it would not bother me too much if they hanged up their sexy boots and stopped playing live shows and just concentrated on making sublime music in the studio. :)