Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins Appreciation Thread  (Read 9311 times)

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
The Smashing Pumpkins Appreciation Thread
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
It’s easy to forget what an outstanding band the Pumpkins were, given that everything they’ve released since the so called ‘reunion’ has been average at best. The fact that Billy Corgan is quite possibly the biggest wa**er in the history of rock probably hasn’t helped much either. But these are essentially just minor issues because the music they created back in the 90’s, and indeed the year 2000, is some of the best I’ve ever heard. The first I knew of the Pumpkins was when they performed Bullet With Butterfly Wings at the MTV Europe music awards when I was 14 or 15. It blew me away like no other performance had before, to the point where I had to go out and buy everything they'd done. The album it came from, Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness, is a masterpiece. A work of angst ridden bliss, and without doubt one of the greatest albums in the history of music. The thing with the Pumpkins is they cover such a broad spectrum. From the beautiful and sublime Tonight Tonight, Sand Inside Your Love, Disarm and Thirty-Three to outright rock stompers such as Zero, Hello Kitty Kat, Jellybelly and The Everlasting Gave, the last of which has one of the best outro’s ever imo. They’re also responsible for the second greatest Batman song ever, after U2 obviously. Even some of the B sides are better than a lot of bands A sides. I’ve just been on a massive Pumpkins trip this weekend and I confess I did forget what an outstanding band they were. If you’re in the same boat and haven’t played the Pumpkins for a while I strongly recommend revisiting those old albums.

And those of you who are yet to experience them - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!!!  :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:06:24 AM by Spaceman »

hurricane hugo

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »
Saw SP twice in '93, the first time 12 days after Siamese Dream was released. By the following summer, Billy Corgan had decided he should scream the songs rather than sing them. Tragic choice. Loved Mellon Collie... and Machina 1, but have no interest in ever seeing them again.

Great memories though...especially of them doing "Bury Me" as the first song of the encore at that second show.

#@!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
I <3 SP, even the new stuff. Actually, I (GASP) like Teargarden more than alot of their old stuff. Never seen em live tho. Like the Lemonheads*, Corgan is the band and he can recruit whoever he wants to fill the other spots, so the original members being gone doesn't bother me.

*The Lemonheads are an awesome band (that I strongly suggest everyone look into) who's lead singer is the only permanent member.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »
Here is an article that Corgan speaks about a U2 gig...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What has been your most memorable or inspirational gig?
I remember seeing U2 play probably only about six months after 9/11, and I was in New York during 9/11, I was living about ten blocks away from where the towers were. So, the wounds were still pretty fresh for everybody, and you know Bono, as only he can, seemed to sum up the moment on that tour. I can't remember what they were playing but they did this thing where they scrolled all the names behind them as they played and it was just one of those moments where it was like: "Okay, this is why rock and roll still means something to me." It's not about the politics, it's not about the B.S. and who's on top, it really is about when a band can seize a moment and take you somewhere. I've had a lot of those moments, but that one really jumps out.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
LOVE OCEANIA! The first group i ever got hardcore into was SP, circa the MCIS era when i was in like 7th or 8th grade i dont remember specifically. I saw them in 2010 and loved the show, even thou it's long since the 90's line up left. Oceania is a HUGE improvement over anything post-Adore i can't get enough of it, the TBK stuff is greatness to but Oceania takes the cake. I scoffed at the idea of the 07 reunion-new lineup and was right for doing so, but TBK turned it around and Oceania hooked me back in.

1. SD
2. PI
3. MCIS
4. Adore
5. Oceania
6. Gish
7. TBK
8. Machina
9. Zeit
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:03:32 PM by DesertSky »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
PI dlx edition announced this week.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
it was announced last week for the 17th. 2 cd, pre-Gish DVD concert replica demo cassette

Crestfallen.com is your friend.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
Oceania is probably their best since the mid-90's.  It's certainly better than NLOTH.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
Oceania is probably their best since the mid-90's.  It's certainly better than NLOTH.

lol

id say Oceania > TBK + Zeit + Machina

as NLOTH is > HTDAAB + ATYCLB

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
I like the Smashing Pumpkins but I've only got Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. What albums should I get next?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
I like the Smashing Pumpkins but I've only got Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. What albums should I get next?

Pisces Iscariot, the Gish/SD b-sides/outtakes comp. Adore and Oceania would be next imo. Gish is good but not the best debut. They skyrocketed up from there with the sophmore album, SD

PI
Adore
Oceania

oh oh oh. you can dl the "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope" songs from smashingpumpkins.com for free, theres like 10 i think.

Offline Georges

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
Best song on the new album is 'Pinwheels'

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
Billy is very generous with his prodigious output

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
Billy release insane amounts of new music. Look at the MCIS era, it was something like 50+ songs from that era with more in the waiting.

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 06:50:12 AM »
Oceania is pretty good, I'm enjoying the middle/end of the album more so than the rock heavy opening tracks.