Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins Appreciation Thread  (Read 9343 times)

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
I was a big SP fan when they hit it big with Siamese Dream.  I lost touch with them after Adore and never gave Billy Corgan much of a chance since.  I tried to listen to Zeit but hated it as well as some of his other projects.  Then when TBK came around, I gave it a shot (free downloads, how could one not give it a try).  TBK I actually enjoy although given Billy's intention, I don't think they are meant to work as an album and don't.

Oceania is harder and actually turns me off a bit from the start, but as I've listened to it the middle and end definitely has grown on me.  I'll reserve my opinions though.  MCIS is my favorite SP album, and Oceania doesn't really reach that level.  I also enjoy Adore quite a bit, but that album is unique given the more electronic and darker mood.  I don't think it'll ever be comparable.

I was also presently reminded at how good PI is.  It is one of those albums I listened to while biding my time for MCIS to come out and then never really listened to again.  Last week I popped it in and wondered why I hadn't done so sooner.

As much as SP had grown out of favor with me in the past 10-15 years, I never quit listening to Siamese Dream, MCIS, and Adore.  They are great albums.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
An old time Smashing Pumpkin associate/band member/fellow artist passed away this last weekend.

Offline JBS

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:06 AM »
You know, I always forget to mention the Pumpkins as one of my top bands when asked but when I look back at the last twenty years they are one of the few bands that I've never stopped listening to. I'm not saying that I listen to them everyday or every week but I've never not felt like a fan.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were both bands that I had stopped listening to at all before the 90s were over and done with (that ship has turned itself around though and I've spent a lot of time in the last two years getting caught up on PJ while I really like the new Soundgarden song) but the Pumpkins have always been a part of my life.

Never really considered that until I saw this thread.

Now I'm thinking its going to be a Oceania (this album has really been growing on me) and Siamese Dream kind of day.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

happy 20th to my favorite SP album, Siamese Dream! This was actually the first album period i couldn't stop playing. Rocked my 8th grade brain. i for one still LOVE this band and can't wait for the Oceania tour dvd/album in October!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
2 new albums next year:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »
Yea. We'll see. He says alot of stuff. Teargarden was supposed to be 44 songs. We got 12 and Oceania. At least he's not tryin to say this is the end of the TBK "cycle"

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
Sounds promising. The dude delivers!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »
Adore box set/reissue coming in September:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Edgedisciple

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
Adore box set/reissue coming in September:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It looks amazing but I don't know if it will be worth... I like just a couple of songs from Adore. I'm waiting for the Machina one, that album deserves a dust off. My personally favourite by the Pumpkins.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
I really like Adore. To Shelia was amazing and that club tour where they donated all of the profits was pretty cool too. They played an amazing version of Transmission at those shows by Joy Division. I won't buy this, too much money but probably listen on youtube or whatever.

Machina should be good too.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
Adore is GREAT. Machina is laughable after like track 5. I never even bought it i still have the mp3's i ripped back in like 02. I'd be interested in hearing Machina 2 get a good treatment. I still need MCIS's deluxe.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 11:03:38 AM »
Adore is GREAT. Machina is laughable after like track 5. I never even bought it i still have the mp3's i ripped back in like 02. I'd be interested in hearing Machina 2 get a good treatment. I still need MCIS's deluxe.
The first five track of Machina are among the greatest Pumpkins songs, but Heavy Metal Machine and This Time (song about their imminent broke up) are great songs too. The rest are just fillers, it was a big mistake put out an album with 15 songs. Songs like Let Me Give The World To You and Here's To The Atom Bomb were left out just to be included in Machina II, which has never seen an official release.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
HMM is prob my least fav song off Machina. Alot of songs from M2 would of worked on M1.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
HMM is prob my least fav song off Machina. Alot of songs from M2 would of worked on M1.
Let Me Give The World To You, Here's To The Atom Bomb, Glass Theme, Cash Car Star, Innosense and Vanity should had been included. We'll see if Billy will rethink the entire tracklist to give it more sense, since it seemed like it was a concept album of some sort originally.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:12:54 AM by Edgedisciple »

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
I "adore" the Pumpkins.  I've been recently listening to a playlist I made of remastered versions of Gish, Siamese Dream, and Pisces Iscariot.  This is by far my favorite era of their music, but I do love all of their work.  They are one of the greatest, most original bands of all time.