Author Topic: Edmonton June 23?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
Edmonton June 23?
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
Hey y'all

I was wondering if anyone is meeting on June 23 even though there is no concert.

I know some out of town people who have non-refundable hotel rooms and time booked off work, so they are planning on going to E-town for a mini-vacay. Maybe we could do O'Byrnes or the Druid?

Let me know your thoughts.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
Re: Edmonton June 23?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
Quite possibly HJ and Witsa would be your folks...

I am not making the trip up from Regina, I've cancelled my vacation - I was driving up anyway and my hotels weren't prepaid.  Need to save for next year.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »
Hi Garden Tart!

O'Byrnes is having their "In Lieu of U2" partay on the 23rd and I will be there and I think Witsa will too....Paddy said maybe 7 p.m. they will start. Band will start Jamiokee at like 8 p.m.
I will post info at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"In Lieu of U2" partay
~U2 songs and video all night
~a band to play while we Jamiokee to any U2 song
~prizes for dressing up like your favourite member of U2, all sorts of fun times.

I really hope you can make, its free too!

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
Oh great!!!! I will be there!!!! Although I will not be dressed up as Adam ;)

Thanks for the update.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »
So it is the night before the postponed show and cripes people here in Edmonton are still not letting the party fade...there are plenty of U2 related funtimes to be had.  Here is a list of a few of the events out there for you local edmonton Fans!

1. We will be at O'Byrnes Pub tomorrow night for the "In Lieu of U2" partay:
~U2 songs and video all night
~a band to play while we Jamiokee to any U2 song
~prizes for dressing up like your favourite member of U2, all sorts of fun times.

2. Also for those of you who cannot make it there will be a live show from Commonwealth, Rick Lee from local radio station Sonic 102.9 with be there and from 9-10 pm (When U2 Would have taken the stage)  they will play on the radio only U2 songs live from U2 360!
You can listen on line here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Call in to the station and talk to Rick Lee between 10-3 tomorrow to chat about U2 and your edmonton concert that was to be...
780-423-1029

Also from Twitter:
3. The first 500 people who show up with a cancelled u2 ticket at The Telus Space & Science centre June 23 (wed) at 5 Pm get free admission to U2 on the Dome. #yeg
More info on that show here:

See you tomorrow night GardenTart and Witsa, so glad we are going out for some fun!
hj

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Wish I could be there....

Let's just say that I figured someone else needed to win the "dress up like your favourite member of U2" contest, as I would totally destroy....

;D ;D ;D

Have as much fun as you can, guys - I'll be there in spirit :)

((HUGS))

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »
Oh you will totally be there in spirit...and I will be sending you photos!

Patrick sent me this wee advert! It's official!!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »
hj, could you maybe psot some pics of people dressed as their favorite U2 star:  And that's kind of you, EF, to clear the field for someone else. 

"Looks forlornly at red-and-black buffalo plaid Red Rocks Edge shirt that didn't get worn to Denver this year."

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
Thanks for that hj. I will not be in Edmonton (no reason to go.... :() but I will pass this on to my friends who will be in E-town.

Have fun everyone!

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »
Well here it is June 23rd.  sigh. This is the weirdest day, eh? Does everybody else keep feeling like they are forgetting something?  It's just odd.  I should be in GA right now....

LJ, I will totally take photos of all the crazy U2 fans and post them here for you...I hope people will dress up so I can get some great shots.  I'm excited to see who comes tonight.
Are you on the twitter?  I will most likely post photos directly to my twitter account tonight so you could see them there first if you like. 

They are calling for Thunder showers tonight, last night was so beautiful...

I will be thinking of all of you today...

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »
Even tho the circumstances arent as they should be, have fun tonight!

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
Hi U2 Lovers.

Well the night was bittersweet....but we managed to make the most of it.  We went to O'byrnes but not very many people showed up early.  We met a nice couple from Winnipeg who came in.  We left just before 9 p.m. to head over to Commonwealth.  We never did see anyone dressed up as the band.

Here is a video from Rick Lee at Sonic of us U2nerds hanging out with him.  There was one couple who showed up to see the show and had NO idea it had been postponed.
From my Tweet:
@atU2 Fans From Edmonton: "Rick's U2 No Show" included a couple who *just* found out the show was cancelled: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At the end you can see it was starting to storm, we would have been soaked with rain just after 10:30...and the lightening and thunder would have certainly been interesting. 

I guess we'll be back planning once we hear about the postponed shows and new dates!

Thanks to Witsa for being my crutch, we really carried each other last night and we laughed and giggled which made the night fun! I needed that.  Listening to TUF outside commonwealth was the hardest part, we all got a bit verklempt..
hj

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »
Nobody dressed up, huh?  Too bad.  And I was wondering if there would be people at various shows who hadn't heard about the postponement, and would show up, thinking "Hey, cool, I'm first in line!"  It sucks enough knowing, man, today would've been my show, but it'd be 10 times worse not finding out till you got to the venue!  Don't you think the lack of a Claw would've been a clue, though?

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »
Do we need to start an June 1st thread? ;)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 10:31:13 AM »
I think so!