Author Topic: Pop singles - Album versions vs. Best of 1990-2000 versions  (Read 3171 times)

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
Pop singles - Album versions vs. Best of 1990-2000 versions
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:43:43 AM »
Gone
The new version just feels too full or too complete or something.  There's too much to it, and it takes away from the original guitar sound which just has a certain feeling to it.  Also, I don't like the way Bono sings it on the best of... version.  He overdoes it.  The whole best of... version just feels overdone in general.

Discothéque:
The Best of... version really just sucks the life out of this song.  The original is one of my favorite songs off Pop and it's so fun and catchy and then the new mix of it just kills it.  Besides the other changes, they took out the "Boom Cha's" which is just ridiculous.  Are they gonna put "Vertigo" on a best of 2000-2010 and take out the "unos, dos, tres, catorce" next?

Staring at the Sun:
I'm kinda indifferent on this one.  The new mix doesn't really make the song any better, but I don't really think it makes it any worse either.  I still like the original better, but this mix doesn't annoy me as much as the others.  And I don't know if this makes any sense, but the original version really makes me see the sun when I listen and this one doesn't.  Almost every song off of Pop mentions the sun or the rain and I feel like I can see the sky when I listen to the album and the new mixes just kill the vibe for me.

Numb:
Not actually a song off Pop, but I want to go ahead and mention the new mix of it on the Best of 1990-2000 album.  I think Bono was listening to this song before they put it on the album and said, this song is just lacking something...ME!  We need to add a lot more of me to this song to make it better!

Boom Cha!

Re: Pop singles - Album versions vs. Best of 1990-2000 versions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »
Gone: It seems like they just made this song louder. Also, I get annoyed by it because it's so easy to tell Bono's lines are chopped up and mixed together with the original version and new recorded vocals.

Discotheque: As I said in a different post; they made this unique song into a boringnothingearthshatteringaboutit rock song

....As for Staring At The Sun and Numb....I agree with you....But they seemed to have quieted the electric guitar in SATS in favor of the acoustic (which was a horrible mistake)...And Numb.....Just more of Bono!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »
What of the new lyric in Mysterious Ways? Personally, i don't remember what the new lyric was, but i didn't mind the change, and AB as an album is like the holiest of holies so i guess i don't care if they toy with songs off of Pop, especially those 3, but it was a risky choice to change the lyric of MW. So anyways, refresh my memory, what was changed?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »
I liked the new version of Gone just a little better because it sounds like the version they play live. The other remixes were okay but I prefer the original album versions.