Author Topic: U23D at Chicago's Field Museum this weekend  (Read 2901 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: U23D at Chicago's Field Museum this weekend
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 06:19:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I get it...I leave the Midwest and it's a cool place to be. lol.

Go to the Shedd Aquarium and the Cheesecake Factory. Chinatown is awesome as well.

:D     Yep!  ;)

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
Assuming I get there and back safely, I will let you know how it went . . . but Joe90, I can tell you *right now* that it would be cooler if you were there!   ;)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
Assuming I get there and back safely, I will let you know how it went . . . but Joe90, I can tell you *right now* that it would be cooler if you were there!   ;)

That's it, feed the ego.  ;D ::)

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
I made my way to the U23D screening at the Field Museum on Saturday Night.

The last time I stood on the steps between Soldier Field and the Field Museum in Chicago was Sept. 13th, 2009.  After back to back nights of an awesome kick-off to the North American leg of U2360, the enormous crowd was sizzeling with electricity as we filed out of the stadium.  The top of the Claw, like the steeple of a magnificent - disco church rose above the facade of Soldier Field thru the left over mist of the show, as if waving  to all of the fans as they went back to their lives with renewed joy and song in their hearts. 

Fastforward 9 months, to the same spot.  No Claw, no crowd  Just a few people, including myself,  wandering around in the empty, dark shadow of Soldier Field, as if they were seeking the light and electricity that had filled the area less than a year ago.  Thankgoodness the Field Museum was playing U23D to give some of us junkies a fix while we wait for the cancelled shows to be re-booked.

The museum was closed for the night, other than the back entrance to let the movie goers in.  A cold, dark empty museum filled with bones, artifacts, and sculptures is not a place one would go to have their spirits lifted.  Walking into the actual theatre was nothing but dismal.  The "room" (dare I actually call it a theatre) was a dark purple, old folding chairs, and the screen was 10 feet by 30 feet maybe. A room sufficient enough to watch a 1950's educational film about the dawn of the dinosaurs, but not what you would expect to see the greatest band on earth in eye-popping digital 3D. A guy in his museum employee uniform comes out and pushed a button.

The lights go down, its dark.  But suddenly, the familar images of the Vertigo stage appear and I feel like I am in the crowd in Argentina as the band takes the stage and kicks into Vertigo.  The emptiness of the room, the museum, the streets and more importantly, my soul is full again as the sounds cracks the sky reminding my why I appreciate this band so much and will be happy to wait however long until I can see them in person again.  It had been a few years since I had seen U23D, and I forgot how great it is.  It was great to hear songs and see some of the songs and video elements (like the Walking Man).  As the show ended, it was nice that all 20 of us junkies in the room applauded.  To top it off, the man at the door said "please feel free to take a movie poster".

I will be back next year, at that very spot to help turn back on in the electricity for the city by the lake. 

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
^Your reflection was beautiful, Wanderer.  I am jealous of your free poster!  I guess they were all gone by Monday PM.

Thank you for sharing such potent words about the magic that is U2.  You did a great job contrasting the set-up and situation to the inexplicable joy that rose inside me when I started bouncing in my chair to 3D Vertigo . . . I will be there on Soldier Field with you!!!  :)  Peace.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 03:43:09 AM »

Aw shucks...I don't know what to say.

I need to stop by a little more often apparently...and now I can.  ;D