Author Topic: Rattle And Hum appreciation thread- it needs your love.  (Read 23482 times)

Offline Dali

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Rattle And Hum appreciation thread
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
R&H and the two original song B-sides "A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel" and "Hallelujah Here She Comes" included, is one of my 2 favourite U2 albums. Cross-fading the applause from the live recordings into the studio recordings is a rather unpleasant feature of it, though. So is including cues from the PA, played by other artists.

"Angel Of Harlem" is one of the band's best songs ever. "When Love Comes To Town" is strong, too, and "All I Want Is You" is amongst the best songs of the band as well. "Desire" rocks out to a cool harmonica and the gospel choir on "Hawkmoon" and "A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel" is a welcome addition. "God Pt2" rocks hard whereas "Hallelujah Here She Comes" is deep soul. I could do without most of the live recordings on the album, with the notable exception of "Silver And Gold" which is a really strong performance. "Love Rescue Me" is an uplifting highlight as well.

So there are almost no clunkers here, hence the appreciation.

Online THRILLHO

• Airborne Ranger
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
R&H and the two original song B-sides "A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel" and "Hallelujah Here She Comes" included, is one of my 2 favourite U2 albums. Cross-fading the applause from the live recordings into the studio recordings is a rather unpleasant feature of it, though. So is including cues from the PA, played by other artists.

"Angel Of Harlem" is one of the band's best songs ever. "When Love Comes To Town" is strong, too, and "All I Want Is You" is amongst the best songs of the band as well. "Desire" rocks out to a cool harmonica and the gospel choir on "Hawkmoon" and "A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel" is a welcome addition. "God Pt2" rocks hard whereas "Hallelujah Here She Comes" is deep soul. I could do without most of the live recordings on the album, with the notable exception of "Silver And Gold" which is a really strong performance. "Love Rescue Me" is an uplifting highlight as well.

no love for Heartland?

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:45 PM »
It's amazing to think that The Joshua Tree Tour wrapped up in December of 1987 and Rattle And Hum was released just 10 months later.  I'm still amazed at how strong the new songs are in light of the fact that the band spent considerably less time working on them than they would on songs for future albums.  Lyrically - the news songs are among the best the band has ever created.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • All is not lost.
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 05:02:18 AM »

So here's one sentence I agree with... I was at first very annoyed at how many live songs were on the album... and one sentence I do not agree with. I do not think Love Rescue Me is uplifting or a highlight  :D

Offline Dali

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »
no love for Heartland?

No, not really. It's the only song from the album that doesn't get played as often as the rest of them in this household.

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
I was listening to R&H just today... anyone else REALLY like Hawkmoon 269? I don't know what it is about that song, but I love it so much...

i have had that song playing in my head for at least a week now.  every idle moment, it plays again.  every morning i wake up with it.  the lyrics are beautiful and the chorus is so fun to sing along to (really loudly, of course  :))  the funny thing is that R&H isn't an album i had listened to much (until recently), so i didn't realize that hawkmoon 269 was the title.  then when i heard it, i was like "OH!  it's the "i need your love" song!  i've been looking for that one!!"  ::) :D

Offline The Lalat

• Stateless
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
A dumb question perhaps: Has a rerelease of R&H been confirmed or are we just assuming?

For an album that would probably win the vote as u2s weakest, it's odd that it has some of the bands greatest ever songs that continue to be played live. Indeed, only JT and AB have more songs that still feature prominently.

Sure, perhaps u2 do come across as having their heads up their ar**s a bit, but that's really just in the presentation - it is an amazing collection of music. Extraordinary rock and roll (and that's even before we get to the movie performances).

And if it wasn't for the bands "mistakes" of this era, then no doubt Achtung Baby - ZooTV - Zooropa trilogy would have only been half as astounding.

...and heartbreak hotel is like hawkmoon: a lead into AB. In many ways the songwriting on RH is closer to AB than JT.     
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:21:25 PM by The Lalat »

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
A dumb question perhaps: Has a rerelease of R&H been confirmed or are we just assuming?

For an album that would probably win the vote as u2s weakest, it's odd that it has some of the bands greatest ever songs that continue to be played live. Indeed, only JT and AB have more songs that still feature prominently.

Sure, perhaps u2 do come across as having their heads up their ar**s a bit, but that's really just in the presentation - it is an amazing collection of music. Extraordinary rock and roll (and that's even before we get to the movie performances).

And if it wasn't for the bands "mistakes" of this era, then no doubt Achtung Baby - ZooTV - Zooropa trilogy would have only been half as astounding.

...and heartbreak hotel is like hawkmoon: a lead into AB. In many ways the songwriting on RH is closer to AB than JT.     

completely agree!  Love RandH!  Even if people think they had their heads up their....  I am not so sure that was the reason for RandH... I think for them it was following the advice of their mentors (like Dylon, Cash and all) who said you need to find out where your music has come from (and where you're going)... so it really was a "musical journey" (heeheehee).  :D

Online THRILLHO

• Airborne Ranger
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »

just assuming. the past 3 years have all had at least 1 remastered deluxe edition, i assume this year will see R&H as next year will be AB's 20th.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • All is not lost.
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
Hi!
Who else thinks the title of this album is really great?
It just rings in my mind...

Offline ILoveEd

• Elevated
  • Remember me?
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »
Hi!

I'm with you there, EC! Rattle and Hum is probably one of my favourite U2 album names  :) And I love the way Bono says it ;D

Watched the movie for the 10000th time again last night with my best friend  :D It totally converted her into an obsessed fan. We talked about U2 all night  ;D It was pretty awesome!

Offline OneLoveU2 *Rock and Roll stops the traffic*

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Rattle and Hum: It's a *musical journey*
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »
Hi!

I'm with you there, EC! Rattle and Hum is probably one of my favourite U2 album names  :) And I love the way Bono says it ;D

Watched the movie for the 10000th time again last night with my best friend  :D It totally converted her into an obsessed fan. We talked about U2 all night  ;D It was pretty awesome!

Indeed it was my dear friend !! ;) That movie is just beyond words!!
*it's a musical journey ;) ;D*

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »

just assuming. the past 3 years have all had at least 1 remastered deluxe edition, i assume this year will see R&H as next year will be AB's 20th.

I hope we don't have to wait until 2013 - the 25th anniversary.

Offline dferry09

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Gonna go where the bright lights and big city meet
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
Heartland for me is the best song on the album.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • All is not lost.
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »
Hawkmoon is the best song for me.  ;)
But Heartland is gorgueous. :)
Still haven't seen the movie...