Author Topic: Inspiration For Until The End Of The World Lyric  (Read 10296 times)

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
Inspiration For Until The End Of The World Lyric
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Pretty cool, finally Twitter is good for something! I happened to notice a random Tweet with a quote from Frida Kahlo that I'd never heard before, but it caught my attention because I'm such a U2-freak that the words popped right off the screen.

"I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim..." ~ Frida

Compare to:

"In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim" ~ Bono

If that's a coincidence, it's a doozie. Out of curiosity, has this ever been mentioned before? Actually, I can daydream a little and wonder if "b******" from Frida's quote made its way over to "Acrobat" in the end.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: Inspiration For Until The End Of The World Lyric
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »
That lyric always slightly bugs me, because I'm sure the lyric on the album goes, "I was drowning in sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim"

It should be drowning MY sorrows, like he usually sings live. I know it's pernickity, but I always thought that was a bit of a glaring error.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pretty cool, finally Twitter is good for something! I happened to notice a random Tweet with a quote from Frida Kahlo that I'd never heard before, but it caught my attention because I'm such a U2-freak that the words popped right off the screen.

Compare to:

"In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim" ~ Bono

If that's a coincidence, it's a doozie. Out of curiosity, has this ever been mentioned before? Actually, I can daydream a little and wonder if "b******" from Frida's quote made its way over to "Acrobat" in the end.

Bono also lifted the line "There is a silence that comes to a house, where no one can sleep" from a book he'd read.  The little plagiarist. :D

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
Hehe he's  plagiarised 3/4 of the Bible over the years so nothing new there :)

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:50:32 AM »
Hehe he's  plagiarised 3/4 of the Bible over the years so nothing new there :)

Ha ha.  Somehow I don't think God minds.... :D

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »

Bono also lifted the line "There is a silence that comes to a house, where no one can sleep" from a book he'd read.  The little plagiarist. :D

I was trying to figure out whose quote that was to mention it originally, but I couldn't find it! I remember Bono saying in an interview back then that as to the line you mention, someone asked him about it, and he'd forgotten that he read it somewhere and thought he'd made it up! Maybe he forgot he'd read Frida's quote also? Any other forgotten influences on AB???

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »

I was trying to figure out whose quote that was to mention it originally, but I couldn't find it! I remember Bono saying in an interview back then that as to the line you mention, someone asked him about it, and he'd forgotten that he read it somewhere and thought he'd made it up! Maybe he forgot he'd read Frida's quote also? Any other forgotten influences on AB???

I think the book in question is mentioned in the tour book 'U2 at the end of the world'.

Offline jujumyth

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Rejoice !
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »
the title "Until the end of the world" is in the last sentence of Matthew (28:20), written differently according to the Bible version, but for example, in the Contemporary English Version :

20 and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world

This song speaks of the betrayal of Judas to Jesus

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • the last to hear the warning
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »

Compare to:

"Don't let the bastards grind you down" also appears a few times in The Handmaid's Tale. I always wondered if it was just a common expression in some parts/times or if Bono adapted it from that novel.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:19:24 AM »

It's from Raymond Carver's poem, Suspenders. Been searching for that poem for ages...

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »

Compare to:

...every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief....

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 06:14:11 AM »
the title "Until the end of the world" is in the last sentence of Matthew (28:20), written differently according to the Bible version, but for example, in the Contemporary English Version :

20 and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world

This song speaks of the betrayal of Judas to Jesus

Great song for sure. ;)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:41:39 AM »
...every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief....

I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before...   ???

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:13:07 AM »
I don't know if it's popular anywhere else, but in Argentina there is a joke,
a very old one (I've heard it since long before 1991), that goes:

"I try to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards they float!"

Frida might have been offering the "polite" version, but I don't think the joke was hers.  :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:35:29 PM by DrummerBoy (Arg) »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 10:41:48 AM »

I don't know if it's popular anywhere else, but in Argentina there is a joke,
a very old one (I've heard it since long before 1991), that goes:

"I try to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards they flote!"

That's not a joke, it's bloody true. ;D