Author Topic: Best U2 show ever  (Read 11389 times)

Offline honey_child

• Refugee
  • Speak
Re: Best U2 show ever
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 06:32:07 AM »
Zoo TV Sydney. The night they recorded for the video. I cannot imagine how brilliant that show must have been in person when the video keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any show of POPMART.

After three pages, finally!

Cheers,

J

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »
Any show of POPMART.

After three pages, finally!

Cheers,

J

Given that Bono and McGuinness agree with that judgement though, I doubt PopMart fans are too distraught.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:17 AM »
Zoo TV Sydney. The night they recorded for the video. I cannot imagine how brilliant that show must have been in person when the video keeps you on the edge of your seat.

At the risk of speaking heresy, I was there and clearly remember coming away a little disappointed, although I love this show.

For starters, the acoustics in the stadium were terrible, with a lot of echo and reverberation. You get a sense of some of it just before EBTTRT and when Macphisto makes his phone call, but they obviously had a clean audio feed for the DVD. Secondly, all the multi-media that looks so good on the DVD was really only visible if you were perpendicular to the stage. From the sides where I ended up, you missed so much of what was on screen. Thirdly, a number of the songs were from Zooropa and quite unfamiliar at that time. Finally, I felt the ending of the show was too flat. WOWY just seemed to fade away at the end, followed by Love is Blindness and then a muddy version of Can't Help Falling in Love.

So yes, very sorry if that shatters your illusions, but that was honestly how I felt after the show. Remember, there was no forum or internet to know what was going to be played. Since then, of course, I have come to appreciate just what a great show it was. The version of BTBS is the best around and the segue from that to RTSS and Streets is simply sublime.

On recommendation from SatDog, I downloaded a ZooTV gig from Rotterdam and it is fantastic. I can't stop listening to Wild Horses and Dancing Queen  :o The band was absolutely mad and on song that night

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
outside of the shows I've personally attended, based on bootlegs, I'd have to say Leeds popmart tour.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »

At the risk of speaking heresy, I was there and clearly remember coming away a little disappointed, although I love this show.

For starters, the acoustics in the stadium were terrible, with a lot of echo and reverberation. You get a sense of some of it just before EBTTRT and when Macphisto makes his phone call, but they obviously had a clean audio feed for the DVD. Secondly, all the multi-media that looks so good on the DVD was really only visible if you were perpendicular to the stage. From the sides where I ended up, you missed so much of what was on screen. Thirdly, a number of the songs were from Zooropa and quite unfamiliar at that time. Finally, I felt the ending of the show was too flat. WOWY just seemed to fade away at the end, followed by Love is Blindness and then a muddy version of Can't Help Falling in Love.

So yes, very sorry if that shatters your illusions, but that was honestly how I felt after the show. Remember, there was no forum or internet to know what was going to be played. Since then, of course, I have come to appreciate just what a great show it was. The version of BTBS is the best around and the segue from that to RTSS and Streets is simply sublime.

On recommendation from SatDog, I downloaded a ZooTV gig from Rotterdam and it is fantastic. I can't stop listening to Wild Horses and Dancing Queen  :o The band was absolutely mad and on song that night

Wow. Thanks for your thoughts, Sydney_Mike. It's always really interesting to hear these things; I've heard quite similar from my dad about Slane in 2001 which he ranks as probably the worst U2 concert he's ever attended out of over a dozen. It just goes to show that it's hard to judge any concert without being there, and even there, everyone gets different experiences out of it.

Offline Rayford27

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Your wheels are turning, but you're upside down
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2011, 09:04:08 PM »
Dallas, TX : April 5, 1992

Or, probably any other show on the first leg of the ZooTV tour.   I picked this one, because I was there!

This was the first of 8 shows I've been to, and as much as I have loved them all, it stilll remains my favorite!

Offline smoesman@hotmail.com

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
I've seen them 30 times in the past 30 years. For me, their best show was in Gent Belgium 9 May 1992. They played 10 brand new AB songs and a different version of running.. and a Lou Reed cover. The show was fresh then and still is after all these years. Hope they will skip most of their old hits for their  2018 SOE tour.

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
Best show I have seen them play (6 times live) was wembley 15th (2nd night) last summer.  Mindblowing.

1.Breathe Play Video
2.No Line on the Horizon Play Video
3.Get On Your Boots Play Video
4.Magnificent Play Video
5.Beautiful Day Play Video
6.Until The End Of The World Play Video
7.New Year's Day Play Video
8.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For Play Video
9.Stay (Faraway, So Close!) Play Video
10.Unknown Caller Play Video
11.The Unforgettable Fire Play Video
12.City Of Blinding Lights Play Video
13.Vertigo Play Video
14.I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy TonightRemix Play Video
15.Sunday Bloody Sunday Play Video
16.Pride (In The Name Of Love) Play Video
17.MLK Play Video
18.Walk On Play Video
19.Where The Streets Have No Name Play Video
Encore:
20.One Play Video
21.Bad Play Video
Encore 2:
22.Ultraviolet (Light My Way) Play Video
23.With Or Without You Play Video
24.Moment of Surrender

That's a helluva setlist!

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
Even though the Zoo Tv Tour is my favorite tour, i'd still go back to my first time seeing them in 1984 Unforgettable Fire Tour Long Beach Sports Arena

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
Any...all.

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2017, 04:57:49 AM »
April 22, 1987 Los Angeles Sports Arena My only U2 concert you had to be there AMAZING !!!!! :)

LightMyWay92

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2017, 05:29:36 AM »
Any concert from the Joshua Tree tour.  To this day I regret missing that tour.  Same with the Elevation Tour.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »
Of the shows I saw, either of the Zoo TV ones.  Indoors in Cleveland was amazing, and I'd pay a handsome sum to relive second row in Three Rivers Stadium.

I think the Zoo TV Dublin broadcast, though, might be the best show I've ever heard them do.  The performance was unparalleled.  Luckily, there's always the bootleg.

Also, I'd have loved to have seen an Unforgettable Fire show.  Somewhere late in the tour, when they had worked out how to do that stuff live.

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
April 22, 1987 Los Angeles Sports Arena My only U2 concert you had to be there AMAZING !!!!! :)

Was there too. Much better than the Coliseum show too as was there too. I was with a buddy of mine who only knew a few songs mostly some earlier songs than what was on the JT record. When after Streets as he sat through it as I was standing and they busted out Follow next?? He shot out of his seat  never to sit again for U2. Was awesome.