Author Topic: Do you think Bono uses Autotune?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Do you think Bono uses Autotune?
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
In light of UK's the X Factor admitting to using autotuning on their first episode, do you think the band used autotune for Bono's voice? I think there's a chance they did, but I would say NLOTH is the only album which has used it. Certain songs like Crazy tonight and Get On Your Boots sound like it's been used. What do you think?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Do you think Bono uses Autotune?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In light of UK's the X Factor admitting to using autotuning on their first episode, do you think the band used autotune for Bono's voice? I think there's a chance they did, but I would say NLOTH is the only album which has used it. Certain songs like Crazy tonight and Get On Your Boots sound like it's been used. What do you think?

So there is a link between Bono and Simon Cowell, besides their gigantic ego's?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »
Maybe. Just got me thinking, is all.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
Maybe. Just got me thinking, is all.

But I mean how can you tell, when you say songs like Crazy and Boots sound like it's been used?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
I can't tell for sure hence why I put it in the forum for discussion, I'm just saying there are moments in those songs and on the album where his voice doesn't sound natural.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »
I can't tell for sure hence why I put it in the forum for discussion, I'm just saying there are moments in those songs and on the album where his voice doesn't sound natural.

You mean like when Cher sings I Belieeeeeeve in love after love, that kind of thing?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:34:43 PM »
That would be the extreme use of it yeah

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »
That would be the extreme use of it yeah

I'll have a listen.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • the last to hear the warning
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »

You mean like when Cher sings I Belieeeeeeve in love after love, that kind of thing?

They do that at the very end of No Line 2. But to my ear, I don't think it's used elsewhere on the actual record.

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:11 AM »
Well, I recon it might've been used on Bono in the U2 and MJ Blige One duo.

I noticed in the Rose Bowl dvd there was a very slight use of it in a couple verses of one or two songs.

I can't say for sure, but I have a pretty discerning ear and I can really tell when autotune (or melodyne - a newer, more controllable form of autotune) is used. I never noticed it in any of the songs on NLOTH, Bono sounding slightly
strange may be due to the some of the songs being really distorted from being so loud (basically like pushing an amp and speakers too far and they distort... now imagine that on a cd and thats what most music today is like, well,  its not overly noticable but in some songs its painful for my ears)

Personally it really isnt necessary, perfect music is never that great... its the slight inconsistencies that make it real...

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »
Definitely.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
Well, I recon it might've been used on Bono in the U2 and MJ Blige One duo.

I noticed in the Rose Bowl dvd there was a very slight use of it in a couple verses of one or two songs.

I can't say for sure, but I have a pretty discerning ear and I can really tell when autotune (or melodyne - a newer, more controllable form of autotune) is used. I never noticed it in any of the songs on NLOTH, Bono sounding slightly
strange may be due to the some of the songs being really distorted from being so loud (basically like pushing an amp and speakers too far and they distort... now imagine that on a cd and thats what most music today is like, well,  its not overly noticable but in some songs its painful for my ears)

Personally it really isnt necessary, perfect music is never that great... its the slight inconsistencies that make it real...

I agree. The inconsistencies makes the magic in music.

satellitedog01

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
They might use it sparingly as a correctional device on recordings, but Bono is a professional whose intonation is usually okay. I don't think they use it live though, Every Breaking Wave had a few off notes.

I have listened to vocals on Crazy are crushed with compression to level the volume between normal singing in the verses and the belted chorus and screaming Baby... part. It does sound a bit autotuned, likely to sound more contemporary on radio.

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:05:22 PM »
I agree that I doubt they use it live

Offline Manos73

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:37 PM »
"Producers with computers fix all my sh**ty tracks." - Ben Folds from the song Rockin' the Suburbs.