Author Topic: U2 references in Movies/TV-Series  (Read 15711 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: U2 references in Movies/TV-Series
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OK that is funny. ^

The new show Smash had a Spiderman reference on Monday night. They mentioned that the critics tore the show apart before it even opened, "before they started maiming everyone."

Loved the pilot for Smash, but missed it Monday night. I thought I'd be able to watch it at hulu or NBC, but they only have the pilot episode to view. I don't know why and I really want to see Monday's episode. I hope the show lives up to the premiere!

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
bump.

The other night 30 Rock had a Bono reference.

Alec Baldwin's character is at the UN talking to the Transelvanian ambassador. Alec says something like "admit you hate when Bono comes around." and the Ambassador replies "Bono always claims he's not hungry when we are collecting money for pizza and then he eats like three slices."

Haha, dumb, I know, but that show loves its Bono bashing  :D
I lol'd so hard at that (30 Rock is my favorite show).

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
this was pretty cool:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »
OK that is funny. ^

The new show Smash had a Spiderman reference on Monday night. They mentioned that the critics tore the show apart before it even opened, "before they started maiming everyone."

Loved the pilot for Smash, but missed it Monday night. I thought I'd be able to watch it at hulu or NBC, but they only have the pilot episode to view. I don't know why and I really want to see Monday's episode. I hope the show lives up to the premiere!

The episode was awesome. I am sure bravo or some other channel will pick it up. The music was incredible. I was surprised by Katherine McPhee, she is showing a lot more depth than I gave her credit for. I hope the show can keep up with quality.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
OK that is funny. ^

The episode was awesome. I am sure bravo or some other channel will pick it up. The music was incredible. I was surprised by Katherine McPhee, she is showing a lot more depth than I gave her credit for. I hope the show can keep up with quality.

I definitely concur w/ your McPhee observations. She was talented on Idol, but nothing extra special after. This show is perfect for her. It's very well cast, directed, and produced!! I too hope it continues at such a level. Now to find that Monday episode!  ;)

It appears that I may not have missed anything. Maybe they showed the pilot again last Monday?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:03:40 PM by mdmomof7 »

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
I think they may have. I cannot wait for this week's episode. I love Debra Messing.

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
On ESPN's Sportsnation TV show, there are a lot of U2/Bono references since the host (Colin Cowherd) is a big U2 fan.

Yesterday he compared the Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre and Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning situation to being the replacement while the other is still there.

Pretend Bono is leaving U2 but you're going to be the new lead singer. But for right now you're singing back to Bono until he leaves--no one wants to be the guy to replace the superstar.

It was something along the lines of that. :)
I love that show! They said something else last year, but I forgot.

Offline Edgemonton

• Wanderer
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »
With or Without You was played during Michael's video presentation on the valentines episode of The Office.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
The movie was alright, not good, not bad :P I watched it just to see the AIWIY scene, and it was worth it. You can't listen to the song too clearly (you'll know why when you watch it) but it matches the scene perfectly.

Is the AIWIY scene in Contagion with Jude Law? I'm a new fan of his :D

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
I remember the Cold Case episode well. It was a good one. They always feature a certain band each episode.

I can't remember the name of the movie with Liam Neeson about the kidnapping of his daughter. I think she was going to see a U2 concert when she got kidnapped. It was about 2 years ago or so.

Yes, the daughter in question was not only going to one U2 show.  She was going to travel around Europe and follow the band!  Great concept

The movie is Taken.

Awesome movie.

What a freaky concept! Because, y'know, many female fans actually travel around US/ Europe (sometimes alone) to see the band on tour. Now I'm afraid :D

I love Liam and have heard of this movie. So it had to be based around the Vertigo tour period? (if they wanted to be strictly canonical about it   ;D)

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
Michael's presentation in The Office has With or Without You in it: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2017, 06:57:48 AM »
There is this scene from Friends

Then there was this scene, from the Worlds longest running Soap Opera, Coronation Street (been on tv for over 60 years). What makes it all the more suprising, is that the show NEVER has any music on it. I believe this is the only time a song has been used on the show

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
The 2010 indie film, I Will Follow (named after the U2 song) has a scene where a character discusses U2 songs with her aunt.  It was directed by Ava DuVernay (made the excellent Selma as well) who is apparently a massive U2 fan.  She's been to 32 concerts in 14 years, now that's impressive.  I think she was at the recent JT gig at the Rose Bowl too in May.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »
The 2010 indie film, I Will Follow (named after the U2 song) has a scene where a character discusses U2 songs with her aunt.  It was directed by Ava DuVernay (made the excellent Selma as well) who is apparently a massive U2 fan.  She's been to 32 concerts in 14 years, now that's impressive.  I think she was at the recent JT gig at the Rose Bowl too in May.

so a friend of mine was at the Rose Bowl 360 show <the one on dvd> AND i just realized she was at Tempe 87, which was in R&H. i was very jealous about the Tempe show!

Offline MrsMacPhisto

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »
Gilmore Girls has a lot, starting season two