Author Topic: Bumbershoot Seattle?  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
Bumbershoot Seattle?
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:09:24 PM »
So, I was just informed by a friend who lives in Seattle that U2 played the enormous local festival Bumbershoot last summer. I've scoured the news sources and I can't find anything that backs this up; she said they played "Lemon" and "Streets," and since when do they play Lemon live other than ZooTV?

I think she's pulling my leg, but I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion. Thoughts?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: Bumbershoot Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »
She's pulling your leg, or she's confusing them with a tribute band, perhaps?

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:33:40 PM »
Thank you! I'm glad to have THAT verified...  :) Now I must go have a discussion with my friend about not pulling the legs of obsessive U2 fans...  ;)

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
LOL!

U2 have been way too big for way too long to be playing festivals.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »
No band is ever too big to play festivals. In the last few years, the headliners at Big Day Out down here in Aust/NZ have included Metallica, Rage Against The Machine and next year's headliner Neil Young. Most of the biggest bands and artists in the world have headlined major festivals such as Glastonbery.

...jeeze it'd be great if U2 headlined Glastonbury. It's always rumoured, never true...

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No band is ever too big to play festivals. In the last few years, the headliners at Big Day Out down here in Aust/NZ have included Metallica, Rage Against The Machine and next year's headliner Neil Young. Most of the biggest bands and artists in the world have headlined major festivals such as Glastonbery.

...jeeze it'd be great if U2 headlined Glastonbury. It's always rumoured, never true...

No argument with you, mattyk -- but the Bumbershoot Festival is nothing like what you're comparing it to. Bumbershoot usually gets a couple relatively big names, but it's still a very small festival on the whole. I think edgefan89 may have been trying to say that U2 wouldn't really fit with Bumbershoot at the moment, which I'd agree with....

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:19:30 AM »
I would be quietly confident if I were to put money on U2 never playing a festival again. The bands mentioned were not as Big as U2... perhaps Metallica is getting close but... meh. Remember also the style of music you 'typically' find at a festival is more suited to Metallica and their fans' tastes...

Somehow I dont think Bono and the Boys would be happy playing a festival - they could get a crowd of 300 000 to their own gig if they want, you know? Plus most of the people who go to festivals are 'true musos' which therefore means U2 haters  >:(. Good luck getting Coldplay to play one as well.

U2 use to play festivals when they were trying to get publicity in the early days. Don't get me wrong, I think festivals are great- Good music, Good atmosphere! But I don't think they would ever play one nowadays, there is no need for them. They would get more money from their own gig... and The crowd would enjoy themselves more because they are there to see U2 and U2 alone.

Then again, I would love them to prove me wrong... ;)

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 07:41:33 PM »
I kind of think the music scene in the US is moving towards festivals.   Festivals have been standard in Europe for so long but it seems like they are just starting to catch on in the States.  Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, ACL and Coachella are pretty established by now and over the last few years more and more new festivals are popping up.  The ticket prices are so much more reasonable since you get days of music and many bands for the price of one concert (since tickets to see "big" acts these days often go for over $150).

Playing a festival gives artists a chance to play to people who do not listen to their music or would never see them live.  Also, more mainstream headliners have been playing festivals recently.  I became a Radiohead convert when I saw them at Bonnaroo and I know people who had the same experience with other bands they would never choose to see live on their own. 

U2 has always been interested in being in the forefront of the music scene so I can actually see why they would play a festival in the US.  That doesn't mean I necessarily think they will play one but, if they do, I'll be there!   ;D

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:25:39 AM »
u2tours.com is  a  great database for U2 shows.  they will post every performance, whether it's a tour stop in front of 80,000 or some one off gig at a bar.  they would have had the festival show had it been real.

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 01:46:52 PM »
Ok, I'll remember that... Thanks!  ;D