Author Topic: @U2 Fundraiser?  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
@U2 Fundraiser?
« on: February 02, 2009, 04:37:19 AM »
Not a bad suggestion no? A specific @U2 event that can help raise funds for multiple causes.

Just a thought. :)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: @U2 Fundraiser?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:43:00 AM »
What causes?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:33:04 AM »
With everything thats wrong in this world of course  :P

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:10:11 AM »
Check out the Have a Heart for Africa thread. I believe @U2 supports this. Follow the links for very inspirational stories of the women and read about Agnes-one of my personal heroes! 

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:25:37 PM »
Every year we throw our support behind the African Well Fund's "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday" campaign, and have also done probably a half-dozen other events in the last few years that involved raising money for the AWF or similar causes. We tend to tie fund raisers to U2-related events, like tour parties or album parties, because I don't think we'd have much luck getting people to show up if the hook was "let's just do a fund raiser." :)

(The tricky thing is that sometime this year we're going to need to raise funds to pay the costs of redeveloping the web site. I don't work for our web host company anymore, so the free ride ended a couple years ago.)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Every year we throw our support behind the African Well Fund's "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday" campaign, and have also done probably a half-dozen other events in the last few years that involved raising money for the AWF or similar causes. We tend to tie fund raisers to U2-related events, like tour parties or album parties, because I don't think we'd have much luck getting people to show up if the hook was "let's just do a fund raiser." :)

(The tricky thing is that sometime this year we're going to need to raise funds to pay the costs of redeveloping the web site. I don't work for our web host company anymore, so the free ride ended a couple years ago.)

Hey m2, I think you could count on us for supporting the website!  Build a Well for Bono's Birthday is one of my personal favorites to support. Africare does wonderful things. I love signing the card. Do you think Bono reads the card?  Probably doesn't have time I suppose. But he always sends a thank you to the Africare website. I don't remember seeing one this year though.  I looked for it.

Offline Dianey

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:10:55 AM »
AWF is extremely grateful to @U2's support through the years. The money raised has had a significant impact on the lives of so many.

We are just gearing up now for the 7th annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser so stay tuned for details.

We send the card to Bono every year and every few years he sends a thank you  ;D

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:53:16 AM »
Matt, throw up a Paypal account and I'm pretty sure that the regulars here will come to the party. This site means a hell of a lot to a lot of people and that's because it really is a great place to be.

Also, just want to throw a shout out to all the mods for keeping their heads in here, cause it's been a bit of a nuthouse since GOYB came out and if I was a mod, I'd have gone nuts and started getting really cranky with all the rubbish that's being tossed around in here. Thanks for keeping this place civil.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
AWF is extremely grateful to @U2's support through the years. The money raised has had a significant impact on the lives of so many.

We are just gearing up now for the 7th annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser so stay tuned for details.

We send the card to Bono every year and every few years he sends a thank you  ;D

And we love what you guys are doing, Dianey. It's super easy to throw our support behind the AWF.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
Matt, throw up a Paypal account and I'm pretty sure that the regulars here will come to the party. This site means a hell of a lot to a lot of people and that's because it really is a great place to be.

Also, just want to throw a shout out to all the mods for keeping their heads in here, cause it's been a bit of a nuthouse since GOYB came out and if I was a mod, I'd have gone nuts and started getting really cranky with all the rubbish that's being tossed around in here. Thanks for keeping this place civil.

Thanks for the kind words, mattyk. Joe and John have been awesome mods and we have a good thing going here, I think.

BTW, we've had a Paypal button on our home page for about 3-4 years now. :)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:29:10 PM »
Didn't notice that  :D

Would love to donate but money is short  :-\
Damn you college!

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:44:40 AM »
BTW, we've had a Paypal button on our home page for about 3-4 years now. :)

Bloody hell, how'd I miss that? Will swing by there next week when I get paid.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »
m2 is there a suggested donation or just what we can?  Do you you have a goal to reach?  Thanks, SG

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »
We're not far enough along in the redesign to have a goal to reach. The ball's still in our court. We have to finish installing the new design, then the developers (the company where I used to work) have to start converting all the databases to function on the new server and fit within the new design.

I'm sure we'll put a little announcement on the home page when we have a clue how much $$ this is gonna cost. I'm guessing it'll be $1,000 - $2,000, but don't know.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 04:26:29 AM »
Will be willing to donate if you need any  :)