Author Topic: Across the universe musical/movie  (Read 2516 times)

andym

Across the universe musical/movie
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
watched it last night and thought Bono was in fine voice and was the best part of the movie when he cameoed and acted for about 2 minutes.

Very funny and well played.

the rest of the movie was long and drawn out and pretty random once the effect of the great Beatles songs started to wear thin

Spannisheyes

Re: Across the universe musical/movie
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »
I just watched the movie because of Bono :D

Offline aussiefan77

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
Bono definitely stole the show! :) His cameo and the Beatles songs were what first drew me to watch it, and apart from his scene, the first time I watched it I thought it was pretty weird and random.  I watched it again recently and concentrated on the storyline and now I think, while not one of my favourites, I do like it.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
had no idea Bono was a character in this. i've only known his 2 songs on the soundtrack. Also didn't know Secret Machines were on the soundtrack and i loved them when this movie came out. jeez.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
I watched it a while ago with my better half - without telling him that Bono would be in it.
He was very quick recognizing Joe Cocker and when Bono appeared it took him probably about 10 seconds before he turned to me and said "that's Bono - now I know why you wanted to see that movie". Not a bad movie though about what was going on in the sixties.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:06:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I watched it a while ago with my better half - without telling him that Bono would be in it.
He was very quick recognizing Joe Cocker and when Bono appeared it took him probably about 10 seconds before he turned to me and said "that's Bono - now I know why you wanted to see that movie". Not a bad movie though about what was going on in the sixties.

Joe Cocker? the guy who covered With A Little Help From My Friends?

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
Need to re-watch this film I guess.  Didn't like it when it came out, just a little tired of Beatle musicals.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 08:36:35 PM »
Need to re-watch this film I guess.  Didn't like it when it came out, just a little tired of Beatle musicals.

there have been other Beatles musicals?

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »
I heard them playing this LP during RSD last week. Sadly the producer of Bono's tracks just passed from cancer about a year ago.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 10:37:08 AM »

there have been other Beatles musicals?
This came out right around the time Love did.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
I love Bono's performance of I Am The Walrus and he makes a good hippy in that film! Groovy, maaaan! ;D

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 06:02:11 AM »
I love Bono's performance of I Am The Walrus and he makes a good hippy in that film! Groovy, maaaan! ;D

Believe it or not I havent watched it, I will today! Bono had to be a little hippy, he was 70s.......... ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »
had no idea Bono was a character in this. i've only known his 2 songs on the soundtrack. Also didn't know Secret Machines were on the soundtrack and i loved them when this movie came out. jeez.

Oh man, TSM's material is the best thing about the soundtrack.  Frankly, Bono's part of I Am the Walrus isn't great, but TSM's versions of Flying and Blue Jay Way are fantastic--Harrison's trippy Magical Mystery material is really suited to TSM.  I was thrilled to be able to rip those tracks from someone who had bought the deluxe version of the soundtrack back in the day.  The three of the tracks make a tidy little EP in my iTunes.