Author Topic: INXS Appreciation Thread *Part Deux*  (Read 13710 times)

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
INXS Appreciation Thread *Part Deux*
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
Because the first thread mysteriously disappeared into the ether. 

I've been listening to them since yesterday on repeat. 

I know their hits but not everything.
Was on youtube yesterday poking around & discovered "Baby Dont Cry" So good.
And Beautiful Girl.

Listening to Meditate right now. 

What are your faves from them? 
GO.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: INXS Appreciation Thread *Part Deux*
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I was a fan of INXS before I was a fan of U2.  I thought Michael Hutchence was the coolest rock star in the world and as a teenager I wanted to be just like him.

My favourite albums are: KICK, X, Listen Like Thieves.

My favourite songs are: Beautiful Girl, Don't Change, The Stairs, Never Tear Us Apart, Need You Tonight, Devil Inside, Send A Message, What You Need, Suicide Blond, Wildlife.

I saw them live on the X tour at the Manchester G-Mex in 1990. 8)

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
Awesome TD. I like your new avy btw too.

I was on songmeanings.net & someone was talking about a story about Michael, Bono & Liam Gallagher. This was about the song Elegantly Wasted & how Michael wrote it about the press & tabloids invading his private life.
I dont know if its true but here it is:

Months later, in Dublin, while Andrew and Michael were visiting their friends U2 and putting the finishing touches on the album demos, Michael met Bono one night at a pub, where Oasis singer Liam Gallagher showed up. The three front men sat down, drank freely, and as the night wore on, young master Gallagher became quite intolerable. As he�s wont to do, Liam grew incomprehensible, belligerent, and very, very loud. Finally Michael had had enough. �Hey man, why don�t you shut up and sit down, you�re being a f****** a******,� he said. �We�re just trying to have a good time, what the f*** are you doing?�

Liam garbled a threat, stood up, and got in Michael�s face. And Bono got between them keeping the peace as only he could, until Liam calmed down. The next day, photos of Liam and Bono nose-to-nose appeared in tabloids everywhere and mistakenly reported that the two nearly came to blows. No punches were thrown, but the incident put an end to the night.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Months later, in Dublin, while Andrew and Michael were visiting their friends U2 and putting the finishing touches on the album demos, Michael met Bono one night at a pub, where Oasis singer Liam Gallagher showed up. The three front men sat down, drank freely, and as the night wore on, young master Gallagher became quite intolerable. As he�s wont to do, Liam grew incomprehensible, belligerent, and very, very loud. Finally Michael had had enough. �Hey man, why don�t you shut up and sit down, you�re being a f****** a******,� he said. �We�re just trying to have a good time, what the f*** are you doing?�

Apparently, Hutchence had become aggressive and belligerent after his motorcyle accident, too.

He drew a knife on Garry Gary Beers once, and threatened to kill him.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »
I love INXS!  8)

Kick and X are great albums. My favorite song is probably Taste It.

:o

hurricane hugo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »
Welcome to wherever you are is incredible.

Just a bit beyond everything else they ever did, and that's saying something considering how good The Swing, Listen Like Thieves and Kick were.

#@!

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »
Welcome to wherever you are is brilliant. It's Achtung Baby"s little brother.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
*bump*

who's singing for them these days? They're here (well, in the area at least) in mid-July.

#@!

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
I was a fan of INXS before I was a fan of U2.  I thought Michael Hutchence was the coolest rock star in the world and as a teenager I wanted to be just like him.

My favourite albums are: KICK, X, Listen Like Thieves.

My favourite songs are: Beautiful Girl, Don't Change, The Stairs, Never Tear Us Apart, Need You Tonight, Devil Inside, Send A Message, What You Need, Suicide Blond, Wildlife.

I saw them live on the X tour at the Manchester G-Mex in 1990. 8)

Saw the same tour when i was in high school. great show. also saw them about a month before m. hutchence died.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 05:50:49 AM »
I've been rediscovering Kick lately.  That is one fine album.

I threw a brick

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
Inxs was a great band and I was also at the Manchester G-mex gig in 1990

Some of my favourite songs by them are..

Original Sin , Strange Desire , Guns In The Sky , Just A Man , In Vain

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:03:19 AM »
What can I say about Michael... His voice was silky and sexy. I loved INXS instantly. Their concerts were fun and Michael had a way about him that mesmerized me throughout the show. I never wanted it to end... You left us too soon Michael...

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:30:57 AM »
INXS were an amazing band live, particularly because Michael was the consumate showman. Girls loved him and guys wanted to be him. If you need any proof, simply check out their live DVD from Wembley - they made a gigantic stadium rock like it was the local pub.

Just discovered the local itunes store has this week added their "Rocking the Royals" show from 1985. Another amazing concert, with a brilliant version of "Don't Change" to close the set.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
INXS was a favorite before I discovered U2 and as I changed my tastes (at the age of 11 or 12) from R&B and Pop towards Rock (U2 sealed the deal with AB).

Anyway, my favorite was probably Welcome to Wherever You Are.  That is one album I love to this day and that I go back to continually (more than Kick or X).  Beautiful Girl, Heaven Sent, and Not Enough Time are my favorites, although my favorite INXS ever is The Stairs.

Does anyone ever enjoy Full Moon, Dirty Hearts?  It is strange, but I like it and still give it a listening now and then.  As an album it doesn't hold together well, but the individual songs are pretty good.  I think people tend to be a little harsh on it, but it is kind of like Pop in that it put itself out beyond the reach of many INXS fans.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
Full Moon, Dirty Hearts is a pretty uneven album. some pretty good songs (Days of rust, the Gift, Freedom Deep, Kill the Pain) but also a lot of filler. The song Full Moon, Dirty Hearts is great, one of their best.