Author Topic: INXS Appreciation Thread *Part Deux*  (Read 13709 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: INXS Appreciation Thread *Part Deux*
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
I appreciate INXS. I loved X and Kick in high school and played them A LOT. I had those on cassette tape so I dont listen to them so much anymore... But I recently downloaded X from iTunes and refound my love for it.

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
Michael's "Behind The Music Remastered"aired on Vh1 Classics aired this week. Not sure if its repeating at any time. Bono was interviewed for it for a couple mins. I think he redid a song of theres for a tribute/greatest hits record.  
And I was thinking about it; Bono is friends/colleagues with Bob Geldof & was very good friends with Michael. I wonder if that ever made it awkward for him & Ali given the tension btween Michael & Bob.

When did he & Bob start working together? Late 90s/early 2000s? After Michael died?

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
I really liked 80s INXS, I thought Mediate and Falling Down the Mountain were great tracks.

RIP Michael

hurricane hugo

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
*bump*

who's singing for them these days? They're here (well, in the area at least) in mid-July.

#@!

???

#@!

Offline Acrobatic.Kiwi

• Wanderer
  • the altar of the dark star
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »
I loooooove Original Sin and Disappear  ;D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
*bump*

who's singing for them these days? They're here (well, in the area at least) in mid-July.

#@!

???

#@!

I think JD Fortune (ugh) is back as their lead singer. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Offline Acrobatic.Kiwi

• Wanderer
  • the altar of the dark star
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
*bump*

#@!

???

#@!

I think JD Fortune (ugh) is back as their lead singer. I'm not 100% sure, though.

No one can EVER replace Michael Hutchence.

Offline gaving

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 01:58:31 AM »
Awesome TD. I like your new avy btw too.

I was on songmeanings.net & someone was talking about a story about Michael, Bono & Liam Gallagher. This was about the song Elegantly Wasted & how Michael wrote it about the press & tabloids invading his private life.
I dont know if its true but here it is:

Months later, in Dublin, while Andrew and Michael were visiting their friends U2 and putting the finishing touches on the album demos, Michael met Bono one night at a pub, where Oasis singer Liam Gallagher showed up. The three front men sat down, drank freely, and as the night wore on, young master Gallagher became quite intolerable. As he�s wont to do, Liam grew incomprehensible, belligerent, and very, very loud. Finally Michael had had enough. �Hey man, why don�t you shut up and sit down, you�re being a f****** a******,� he said. �We�re just trying to have a good time, what the f*** are you doing?�

Liam garbled a threat, stood up, and got in Michael�s face. And Bono got between them keeping the peace as only he could, until Liam calmed down. The next day, photos of Liam and Bono nose-to-nose appeared in tabloids everywhere and mistakenly reported that the two nearly came to blows. No punches were thrown, but the incident put an end to the night.

I think im right in saying there was never any love lost between liam gallagher and michael hutchence! didnt inxs award them with a brit in 1995 or something and liam came out with a hissy fit about how they shouldnt be sharing a stage or accepting awards from 'has beens'?!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »
RIP Michael Hutchence.  You were good.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:13 AM »
TD, I think you forgot:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I love the band in this, they're so pumped

Wait, no one here knew I was an INXS fan? Well... now you do...

Smee

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
First heard Listen Like Theives material, upon a tip off from a school mate who lived across the road. BBC1 showed a live gig from INXS. I was pretty taken. Think that was about 1984-85ish IIRC?
To this day, Listen Like Theives and Kick among my top top albums of the 80s. I also really love Live Baby Live cd. Hear the sound is amazing song. Love playing along to it on my bass :)

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »
Listen Like Thieves was my first exposure to them. Our modern rock station in my hometown always played a few tunes off the record like What you Need. This had to be 85-86-ish. So I went and bought the cassette tape. Me and my cousin put it into his ghetto blaster and would skateboard around while listening to it.

But Kick was my peak with them. It probably equaled the playtime of TJT that year(87). Loved it. X was very good too but not quite to my enjoyment as Kick. I ended up buying The Swing and Shabooh Shabah after I bought Kick. The Swing has some great tunes and some nice production from Nile Rodgers.

Rarely listen to their stuff anymore. But if it's on the radio I listen. Plenty of good tunes.

edit: and I agree about replacing Hutch with the singing contest winner. No one can replace Michael. JD gives it a shot but the magic, the spark, isn't there. It just doesn't compare.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:12:52 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »
I really loved INXS in high school and university- bought Kick and X upon release.  RIP Michael.  I haven't listened to any non-Hutch INXS as I think they should have broken up upon his death.  Of course that is just my opinion and many might disagree.  Btw if there are any Ontario fans, I heard on CBC radio that INXS is playing in Brockville, Ontario at the  Riverfest (I believe that is the name) festival in the near future.

Jon

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 06:57:11 AM »
For my birthday on Tuesday my dad got me The Swing album. I listened to it three times in a row.

IT'S AMAZING.

Smee

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 04:55:28 AM »
Heres a wee bit of INXS related triv for y'all......incase i should become famoous one day. INXS, is the ONLY CDs in my collection, that are, for some unknown reason, scattered all over the place. normally...i keep all CDs form the same artist together.....apart from INXS. Just one of my quirks lol :D