Author Topic: INXS Appreciation Thread *Part Deux*  (Read 5189 times)

Offline emalvick

• Staring at the Sun
Re: INXS Appreciation Thread *Part Deux*
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
From what I see INXS gets very little respect outside the forums, and that isn't just since Michael's been gone.  INXS rarely turns up for many greatest lists even when they could be considered in at least top 50 or better types for albums, songs, concerts, etc.  in some way or the other.  Oh well, at least I won't forget them.  I've also refused to give a listen to any post Michael work.   Conscience decision, and no one has suggested I'm missing anything.  His voice and presence were too important to INXS and cannot be replaced.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Basically, when the LV dies or leaves, the group is f***ed.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »
Both INXS and Michael Hutchence are underrated, as  a band and as a singer. at least from what I can tell... then again, I'm the only person around my age I know of personally who's heard of them. So I don't really have peers to rate them anyway. But I guess this shows their music didn't survive to the next generation- maybe they didn't get famous enough. Or it's that their work wasn't really groundbreaking. I know people my age who know the great classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, but when it comes to bands like U2 or INXS, they haven't usually heard of them. I wonder why that is (especially in U2's case, but that's for a different thread, I'm sure!).

I think I got off topic... I was going to say something about how good INXS were and why they shouldn't be underrated. But really, it's an opinion...

Offline emalvick

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »
I think they were underrated because in the time of the 80's, there were a lot of styles that were popular and INXS somehow squeezed themselves in between styles, which is usually a good thing.  To the critics credits, they weren't a ground breaking band and when you look at the list of the bands you quoted that people your age know, you are looking at groups that somewhat defined the early rock and have inspired many of those later bands that come around.

As for U2, I find it rare that someone wouldn't know them especially as opposed to INXS.  Of course if you are talking about people your age not knowing INXS, I'm guessing your probably much younger than myself and the people I know... The people I know have typically forgotten about INXS rather than not know them.  It's similar to some of the reaction I saw when REM called it quits.  Many of my friends didn't even know they were still around.

Regardless, INXS is a bit underrated even if its just looking at Kick.  They were the band of 1987 really.  I remember hearing almost that whole album on the radio at one time or another and that is before I even actually bought the album.  Of course music has changed so much since then that I'm not sure anyone is really going to get the type of respect and recognition given in the past.  It almost seems like respect and recognition from this point forward will be exclusive... That's just my opinion. 

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not always. AC DC had continued success after Bon Scott died and actually had one of the biggest albums of all time with Back in Black. Van Halen was very successful with Sammy Hager. Iron Maiden got bigger when Bruce Dickenson joined.

I think with INXS there were a couple really big things going against them when Michael died. One was that they were already on  the downslope of their career. They were in their late 30's and the previous couple albums were not very successful. It would have been hard for them even if Michael had lived. I saw them about a month before Michael died and there was only about 6000 people in the arena. 7 years earlier when I saw them they sold it out. Second is that Michael was one of the two primary song writers in the band. Andrew Farrence wrote the music and Michael wrote the words/melody. Without Michael the songs just weren't as good.

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
Andrew Farriss I think you mean...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 05:28:33 AM »

He's a new one on me.  Sounds familiar but.

I've heard of Andy Farriss though.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 05:31:50 AM »

Not always. AC DC had continued success after Bon Scott died and actually had one of the biggest albums of all time with Back in Black. Van Halen was very successful with Sammy Hager. Iron Maiden got bigger when Bruce Dickenson joined.

I guess it doesn't really matter who sings in those groups.  If push came to shove, they could have put a couple of stray cats in a cage together on stage.

Offline emalvick

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »

He's a new one on me.  Sounds familiar but.

I've heard of Andy Farriss though.

Andrew = Andy... I actually always heard of him as Andrew (at least that's how the album credits were written), but it wouldn't surprise me if he went by Andy.

Offline emalvick

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
The comment about the song writers is quite important and the quality of the songs they written.

It's true that INXS were on the downslope of their career.  It is that downslope that led to the suicide.  I think there is too much desire once there is success to stay successful and artists get anxious about a loss of success.  They often think that success equates to quality just as many people do when it comes to anything.  It's sad that in a few cases it leads to death.

In INXS's case, it is sad because I really do think that Elegantly Wasted is an excellent album that just wasn't popular.  Most of us here know that is not an unusual thing in music.  I really think Michael's lyric writing was only getting better and probably would have continued to do so. 

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »

I guess it doesn't really matter who sings in those groups.  If push came to shove, they could have put a couple of stray cats in a cage together on stage.

dude, please. Dickinson's one of the best rock singers ever, and, as much as I hate giving the guy any props whatsoever, Hagar's also a killer vocalist.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »

Hagar's also a killer vocalist.

Is he the one who sings Jump?

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

dude, please. Dickinson's one of the best rock singers ever, and, as much as I hate giving the guy any props whatsoever, Hagar's also a killer vocalist.

Dickinson is right near the top of best rock singers

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »
I agree with emalvick's comment that Elegantly Wasted was a good album that just wasn't popular. And it's tragic that the loss of interest resulted in a death. :( Not fair.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
I agree with emalvick's comment that Elegantly Wasted was a good album that just wasn't popular. And it's tragic that the loss of interest resulted in a death. :( Not fair.

To be fair I don't think Michael killed himself because of the bands slipping popularity. He was a troubled guy, had a problem with drink/drugs, and the main thing was the tension with his wifes custody battle for her children with Bob Geldof (her ex husband). Bono himself said he was friends with both Geldof and Hutchence so he didn't want to get involved and thus hadn't spoke to Hutchence in a while. The bands slipping popularity may have added to his depression, but it wasn't the main factor.