Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 41975 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Boycott of u2.com
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
From what i've seen - not just on this forum, but over at interference and the official website's forum - there is a general feeling of discontent with u2.com.

The most recent grievance is the announcement of the 'u2:Duals' track list. It's not just the latest in a long line of unimpressive incentives to get people to subscribe, but u2.com has pushed the bar this time by including u2's singles, tracks straight from u2 albums, and many more songs readily available from stores such as itunes (of course, at a much lower price). This was supposedly a CD with "exclusive content, available nowhere else" - that was announced months ago to get people to resubscribe. It was a misleading claim to cheat people out of their money. This CD is being given to u2 fans so enthusiastic that they're shelling out $50 to be members - if anyone is going to already have these tracks (that are readily available to the public), it's them.

And this is just the latest of grievances - recently, many fans were upset to hear that the final show of the North American leg was no longer going to be the last performance. Many people made travel arrangements, plans to go to the Pittsburgh show specifically because u2.com said it was the last show, making it a very special occasion for many... only for u2.com to later announce a show in Moncton. It was dishonest, and cheated the fans.

Then, there are the complaints that u2.com simply isn't worth its steep price - the added benefits seem little to many, u2's personal involvement is virtually non-existent, and i've heard a few people complain about the fact that, since there are no discounts for concert tickets, u2.com subscribers are actually ending up paying more than casual fans for tickets.

I'm not even a u2.com subscriber, but i feel bad for those who have handed over so much cash for so little. The poor quality of u2.com is hardly a catastrophe, but it is nonetheless an insult to fans. I think they're being cheated, they don't deserve it, and it's unacceptable. The poor treatment of fans is also a bad reflection on u2 themselves, who are seeming increasingly out of touch.

However, i must stress that this is not an attack on u2 themselves - sure, we'd all prefer the band to be more involved, but the fact that they aren't demonstrates how the problems and scandals of u2.com are down to the runners of the site, not u2.

So, given that u2 fans as a whole seem not just unsatisfied with, but ripped off and lied to by u2.com, i and many others feel that something should be done about it. Over in the 'Duals' thread in the news and rumours section, we decided that the most effective thing to do would be a mass un-subscription to u2.com.
This would entail organising it with other forums like interference, and sending a message directly to u2.com, to make sure everyone is aware of it.

Therefore, if you support the idea of showing u2.com that we're not going to let them treat the fans like this, please do post in this thread.
The plan i laid out above was just one idea for organising something against the website, and other plans/ideas are appreciated.
The question of whether to make this public is also open - whilst it would seem unfair to put u2 themselves in a negative spotlight, is it perhaps what is needed to show them how unhappy their fans are?
If you support the idea of a mass un-subscription, what should be said to other fan sites and u2.com to make it happen? It is something that must be thought through, otherwise it will flop. Drafts of messages to be given to all these sites are appreciated.

So, to summarise, if you support a plan to demonstrate our discontent with u2.com, please leave ideas on what we should do, or if you agree with the boycott idea, suggest drafts of posts to be made on other forums to rally support, as well as messages to be sent to u2.com itself.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
I think what Mars Girl said in another thread is spot on: This is the kind of activism that U2 would have supported in their younger days when they weren't afriad to speak truth to power. Though I am not a member of U2.com, I strongly support this idea.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
Yeah, that's true enough. Hell, they might even support it now, if they actually paid attention to what u2.com was like  ::)

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
I think it's a great idea and I'll gladly participate...however, how many members of u2.com are there? I have a feeling that we might end up being just a blip on the radar.

As far as U2 getting bad publicity, I don't really care. I know they don't run u2.com themselves, but they're the ones that make pacts with the devil (Live Nation) and let a bunch of monkeys run their website.

I'll try to think of some ideas and get back to this post.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
I will help too somehow......I don't want the band to get bad rep because I don't feel they deserve to be humiliated or anything, I just want them to be made honest within the community.

I'm a bit swamped now, but I could try drafting up some letters or something.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
JasontheJedi, TheEdgeIn4D, thanks so much.

I too think it's possible that we'll only be a blip on the radar - although, every single post on the 'Duals' thread in the u2.com forum was very angry about the cd. Many said they were considering un-subscribing. I think its possible we could actually convince a large number to leave u2.com.
However, i wouldn't be surprised if the mods over there lock topics discussing the boycotting of their website, and ban me within minutes of attempting to organise something.

If it really is that difficult, then maybe it would be worth getting into the headlines via all the fan forums advertising the boycott on their main pages. If that happens, then it would surely be visible when journalists are searching for u2 news online.
Sure, it would hurt u2's public image, and it's not exactly their fault that u2.com is so bad (i'm sure it's more down to live nation trying to squeeze as much profit as possible out of fans). But at the same time, this is the official website for the band, and they are, ultimately, in charge of it - they have the power to change u2.com. Maybe a highly publicised change of the website would actually be better publicity for the band, than a website that is highly exploitative. Forcing u2 into the spotlight with this could make them have to change how they run things through their website, and might possibly convince the band to stop their brand being such a faceless corporation, and actually connect with their fans on a more personal level.

...and, if we do publicly broadcast a protest, we could always establish that it's a protest against u2.com, not u2. That could save u2 from bad press, and the distinction between the two (u2 the band and u2.com the brand) could serve to highlight how little the band actually participates in reaching out to fans.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the distinction between the two (u2 the band and u2.com the brand) could serve to highlight how little the band actually participates in reaching out to fans.

Excellent point! As long as the distinction was emphasized well enough, I would be up for that! And even if u2.com closed the threads, we're sneaky and subversive...we could post enough that everyone would know to come over to @tu2.com  ;D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
the distinction between the two (u2 the band and u2.com the brand) could serve to highlight how little the band actually participates in reaching out to fans.

Excellent point! As long as the distinction was emphasized well enough, I would be up for that! And even if u2.com closed the threads, we're sneaky and subversive...we could post enough that everyone would know to come over to @tu2.com  ;D

I'm glad you agree!  :) I certainly think it's vital to emphasise our discontent with the website, NOT with u2 themselves, although obviously they come into it. An army of sneaky undercover posters is also a great idea - perhaps instead of starting threads on or posting about the boycott, we could just post a link to this thread, attached to a comment like "if you're unsatisfied with u2.com, check this out".

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
Like in the signature?

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »
Other ideas voiced on the other DUALS post:

1) re-branding DUALS as MACPHISTO in all our communications about the record
2) making signs/shirts for the upcoming U2 shows calling out how bad U2.com is
3) tossing copies of DUALS on stage during the concerts
4) putting together a site to gather signatures to petition U2
5) contacting press outlets like Rolling Stone

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Other ideas voiced on the other DUALS post:

1) re-branding DUALS as MACPHISTO in all our communications about the record
2) making signs/shirts for the upcoming U2 shows calling out how bad U2.com is
3) tossing copies of DUALS on stage during the concerts
4) putting together a site to gather signatures to petition U2
5) contacting press outlets like Rolling Stone
I like Macphisto though, but i get what you're saying.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
i think jamie you should craft the official response to be attached to the petition or whatever get sent in. i would suggest getting exile and maybe a couple of others to proof read and agree on the content. that'll take a lot of the pressure off you mate. i wouldnt just put it out there for everyone tho, you'll never get agreement, just nominate a few people (or let others do that) and from that small group get something going.

just let us all know when to put our names on the list of what you come up with.

and yes i dont think its too much to ask to have the actual band members featured in some bonus content. a bit off track but when was the last time you actually saw a band member speak in any of the bonus doco's on the concert dvd's

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 05:31:11 PM »
Sign me up, I'm not a member, but the "fanclub exclusives" have been jokes and I'm sure U2 wouldn't approve of it. Sign me up Jamie.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »
I'm gonna put [Boycott Duals] in my name. Who's with me ?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
I totally agree. But the way i see it U2.com and U2 are, in some sense, one in the same.

These days, your web presence is your primary point of contact with fans. If the website is alienating fans, then you MUST do something about it. Your management must do something about it.

Otherwise a fair accusation is that you are doing nothing and don't care about the rip off taking place.

Duals is a joke. I have made the playlist on my ipod already.

The Australian pre-sales were a joke.  Terrible communication and conflicting reports.

And whilst they don't sit there and type stuff, U2 the band are responsible for their web presence. They are responsible for addressing problems.

And they could start with the godawful design.