Author Topic: PJ Harvey  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
Re: PJ Harvey
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »
Don't know how to post links but there us a beautiful YouTube clip of PJ Harvey and Bjork

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 06:44:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't know how to post links but there us a beautiful YouTube clip of PJ Harvey and Bjork

the one at the brits playing satisfaction?

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
That's the one. Love it. And them.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
Saw Polly last year at Glastonbury. Fantastic performance as usual. Ride of Me is a bloody awesome album and still holds its ground today.

One of my favourite performances from the 2003 v festival
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:09:17 AM by Mark72 »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
Saw Polly last year at Glastonbury. Fantastic performance as usual. Ride of Me is a bloody awesome album and still holds its ground today.

One of my favourite performances from the 2003 v festival

Oh yes!!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »

'Archangel' a great description.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
More new magic...

The timing of PJ Harvey’s latest release is pertinent. As political squabbling reaches its climax before the UK’s general election on 8 June, the musician is turning her gaze towards the global refugee crisis for a collaboration with Egyptian artist Ramy Essam, whose song Irhal became synonymous with the demonstrations at Tahrir Square in Cairo during the Egyptian revolution of 2011.

Entitled The Camp, the minimal, haunting song serves a higher moral purpose than a normal experiment with melody. Along with its video, which uses images from the forthcoming book by acclaimed photojournalist Giles Duley, I Can Only Tell You What My Eyes See, its message of despair – descriptions of “children who move like ghosts” and a “grey boy burned by cigarettes, pushed with scarred hands through the fence” – documents the lives of displaced children in the Bekaa valley in Lebanon.

Offline wambui24

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »
I was blown away by PJ Harvey's live performance the first time I saw her opening for U2 on the Elevation Tour in 2001. I saw that tour 5 times, which means I got to see PJ Harvey open for them 5 times as well. I became a fan and purchased all the albums. I saw her on her own tours that year and in years since.

Same here!  My first exposure to her was as the opener on the Elevation tour, and I've loved her ever since!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 07:08:07 AM »
More new magic...

The timing of PJ Harvey’s latest release is pertinent. As political squabbling reaches its climax before the UK’s general election on 8 June, the musician is turning her gaze towards the global refugee crisis for a collaboration with Egyptian artist Ramy Essam, whose song Irhal became synonymous with the demonstrations at Tahrir Square in Cairo during the Egyptian revolution of 2011.

Entitled The Camp, the minimal, haunting song serves a higher moral purpose than a normal experiment with melody. Along with its video, which uses images from the forthcoming book by acclaimed photojournalist Giles Duley, I Can Only Tell You What My Eyes See, its message of despair – descriptions of “children who move like ghosts” and a “grey boy burned by cigarettes, pushed with scarred hands through the fence” – documents the lives of displaced children in the Bekaa valley in Lebanon.

Great track - so pertinent.  Thanks for altering us to this great new release.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 07:33:18 AM »
More new magic...

I would think it would go do down a storm here as hasn't Bono made some comments/commentary in gigs in last few years about refugee crisis?

This song obviously takes a much more head on approach but i recall the refugee crisis being a pretty big deal to fans on here.

Lyrics are something else the lyrical image of 'a grey boy burned by cigarettes pushed with scarred hands through the fence' is simply stunningly put by Polly Jean.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »
More new magic...

I would think it would go do down a storm here as hasn't Bono made some comments/commentary in gigs in last few years about refugee crisis?

This song obviously takes a much more head on approach but i recall the refugee crisis being a pretty big deal to fans on here.

Lyrics are something else the lyrical image of 'a grey boy burned by cigarettes pushed with scarred hands through the fence' is simply stunningly put by Polly Jean.

I'm not sure an American U2 audience would take to this track given the review I just read of the Pittsburg show by tigerfan... sounds like there were grumblings about the refugee videos during the concert.  You're right this is a stunning lyric, and I'd like U2 to try to tackle things like this head on with their next LP.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
More new magic...

I'm not sure an American U2 audience would take to this track given the review I just read of the Pittsburg show by tigerfan... sounds like there were grumblings about the refugee videos during the concert.  You're right this is a stunning lyric, and I'd like U2 to try to tackle things like this head on with their next LP.

I thought u2's audience especially in America were very much into the causes.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »
More new magic...

In certain markets they're alright with it, maybe even supportive of it, but in other markets (such as Pittsburgh and anywhere south of that), they get annoyed with the least little mention of the refugee crisis or anything that is perceived as anti-republican.

As for PJ, I haven't heard much of her music, but perhaps will check her out along with Beck, another that's long been on my to-listen to list.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
More new magic...

In certain markets they're alright with it, maybe even supportive of it, but in other markets (such as Pittsburgh and anywhere south of that), they get annoyed with the least little mention of the refugee crisis or anything that is perceived as anti-republican.

As for PJ, I haven't heard much of her music, but perhaps will check her out along with Beck, another that's long been on my to-listen to list.

interesting perspective, thanks....

as for PJ......here is a bit of a beginners guide of songs to start with...

A Perfect Day Elise

Big Exit

All and Everyone

Sheela Na Gig

Down by The Water

The Wheel

Oh My Lover

Dress

Rid of Me

Black Hearted Love

This is Love

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 05:43:55 AM »
More new magic...

interesting perspective, thanks....

as for PJ......here is a bit of a beginners guide of songs to start with...

A Perfect Day Elise

Big Exit

All and Everyone

Sheela Na Gig

Down by The Water

The Wheel

Oh My Lover

Dress

Rid of Me

Black Hearted Love

This is Love

I think tiger and myself should watch out for your sarcasm about American audiences  :P Also that you should have recommended Angelene.