Author Topic: wise investment or crazy obsession?  (Read 5603 times)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
wise investment or crazy obsession?
« on: October 23, 2008, 06:37:55 AM »
I was flipping through the used albums in my local record store the other day and I found, you guessed it-three vintage U2 albums.  Actual vinyl!  Original copies of Boy (U.S. cover), UF and Wide Awake in America.  Now I don't own a record player and haven't for probalby 25 years.  But I wanted those albums so bad!  I just wanted to own them.  For no other reason than to be able to look at them and say they were mine.  Even my 12-year old daughter said I should buy them.  'They'd make you really happy," she said.  But I didn't and now I'm kicking myself.  Would this be a total waste of money (granted it's not much money), since I'll never be able to listen to them, or could I justify it by saying they'll appreciate in value?  Anyone else buy useless stuff because of our crazy obsession?  (And I don't mean the Pop album, lol!)

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: wise investment or crazy obsession?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:51:26 AM »
It absolutely would NOT be a waste of money!!!

I've got tons of records that i don't play because i don't want them getting damaged in any way, shape, or form. You don't get vinyl in the same way these days (in a CD dominated music world) and for that reason it would be great to have them.

The only '80s U2 album i haven't got on vinyl is October. I've got a few singles as well, including the re-mix of New Years Day on 12".

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
RUN back to that store and buy them before someone else snatches them up, assuming that hasn't already happened.

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
Not a waste at all! I've never owned anything resembling a record player, but I still have copies of Boy, October, War, R&H, and Joshua Tree.

They're worth having just as art! The cover art on War and Joshua Tree is gorgeous and incomparable to the CD or Mp3. I'm planning to frame mine.

But yeah, I've gotten some strange looks from my friends when I skip gleefully out of the record store with vinyl...  ;)

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
I bought a Rolling Stone magazine with Bono on the cover at a used bookstore.  Two years later I had every Rolling Stone cover the band/Bono ever did in an archiaval binder.  This summer I bought a couple U2 albums on vinyl.  Now I'm close to having all the original releases.

Not crazy.  Silly maybe, but not crazy.

And when your family says "If it makes you that happy" (like my hubby did when I wanted to spend $500 to see U2 "again") it's totally worth it.

And maybe someone will get you a record player for your birthday! ;)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:21:35 PM »
I know we're talking about vinyl here......but i'm a SERIOUS U2 singles collector, cd's i mean. The most i've spent is $30, 2 times. Once on the UF EP and then again for the Lemon single. I didn't feel as about Lemon because i remember i saw 1 in 98 at blockbuster music <so this is WAY back in the day, hehe> for $20. I get lucky very often actually and usually only spend $2 in the used CD store i frequent to find singles like Pride, Streets, or even friggin New Years Day/Sunday Bloody Sunday. $2 a piece!!!

Anyways, whats the most anyone has spent on a U2 single?

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »
WOOOHOOOO!  I did it! I am now the proud owner of vintage vinyl copies of Boy (stretched faces), Wide Awake in America, and Unforgettable Fire.  They are so cool.  My 14-year old said, "Oh, that's what a record looks like.  It's big!"  I noticed funny stuff while examining them in great detail.  On the back of 'Boy', it says"Larry-Drummer".  Just "Larry".  No Mullen, Jr.  And on the album itself it says, "All song written by Bono Hewson/ Larry Mullen/ Adam Clayton/ "The Edge" Evans.  They didn't quite have their identities set yet, did they?  Bono and Edge still using last names.  It was a banner day at the record store.  I also picked up a cassette of 'October"  which I've never owned, and a used copy of 'Pop'.  You all were right.  It was absolutely worth the samll amount of money it cost, even if i can't play them.   ;D   I think I've gone from fan to obsessive freak.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
WOOOHOOOO!  I did it! I am now the proud owner of vintage vinyl copies of Boy (stretched faces), Wide Awake in America, and Unforgettable Fire.  They are so cool.  My 14-year old said, "Oh, that's what a record looks like.  It's big!"  I noticed funny stuff while examining them in great detail.  On the back of 'Boy', it says"Larry-Drummer".  Just "Larry".  No Mullen, Jr.  And on the album itself it says, "All song written by Bono Hewson/ Larry Mullen/ Adam Clayton/ "The Edge" Evans.  They didn't quite have their identities set yet, did they?  Bono and Edge still using last names.  It was a banner day at the record store.  I also picked up a cassette of 'October"  which I've never owned, and a used copy of 'Pop'.  You all were right.  It was absolutely worth the samll amount of money it cost, even if i can't play them.   ;D   I think I've gone from fan to obsessive freak.

Good on you.  ;D

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »
Welcome to the jungle, yooper!

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:18:15 PM »
On the back of 'Boy', it says"Larry-Drummer".  Just "Larry".  No Mullen, Jr. 

THANK you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed! lol. I posted about it on the old forum, but nobody responded...  :-\

Oh dear... If you're now in the "obsessive freak" category, then I think I've skipped merrily down that same road... It it excessive to have War on cassette, vinyl, CD, and mp3?!  ;) (My dad had the tape, I purchased the record and the cd, and of course the mp3 came with that... but I do get very odd looks from my friends when I mention it...)

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 02:17:45 PM »
i re did my room this summer and got a bunch of U2 vinyls on eBay for cheap. i have an old record player (it was my dad's) and i actually play them a lot. he never got rid of his vinyl records, so i have a lot of stuff besides U2 in my vinyl collection. i currently own The Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum, Under a Blood Red Sky, The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire singles, War, and One. I'd really like Achtung Baby, but you can't find it anywhere for less than $75. if you want to, you can get record frames that make them look REALLY good. seriously, War looks amazing in a record frame. anyway, good for you for buying them, you won't regret it!

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »
Yes - Maybe a bit of both.

I have an import copy of Boy on vinyl with the wrapping still on that gets no use, even as a framed piece of art.  But I still can't seem to put it on e-bay, even though I'd get 3x what I paid for it back in the day.

Are $50 nosebleed seats behind the band in a venue that is a 6 hour drive away still a good investment or just a crazy obsession?  I'd say yes on both counts.

Everybody needs something to be a bit obsessive about - to be a fan, in the fanatic sense of the word. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 11:03:50 PM »
the 3rd time i saw U2, all 3 times during the Elevation tour, i spent $300 to be in the pit, roughly 3 people away from Adam. I had paid roughly $100 to see them 2 weeks prior. People look at me like i'm crazy for spending that much, but at the time i was still living at home and i could easily afford it.

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 12:40:51 AM »
I'd really like Achtung Baby, but you can't find it anywhere for less than $75.

I'm on the same quest... I saw it ONCE on eBay for $8.99 (!), but it was the beginning of the auction, and it was in Korea, so shipping costs would be... interesting.  :'(

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
Update on increasingly crazy obession.  Hit the local record store again today (PLEASE don't go out of business!).  Jackpot!  Found a used CD of 'Zooropa'.  I only know a couple songs off this one, so I am looking forward to diving into this for the next few days.  It's the last album that I didn't own.  I am now complete (except for EP's, B-sides, live tracks, etc.)  My daughter found me a vinyl copy of Joshua Tree!  It's beautiful.  The cover opens up and there they are in their full-size gypsy-looking desert glory.  I'm sure you understand if I pause to catch my breath.  On top of that, she dug up vinyl copies of the Beatles' 'A Hard Day's Night" and "Sgt. Pepper".  What a day.   ;D