Author Topic: Pride and Bad Grammar  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
Pride and Bad Grammar
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »
"One man come in the name of love...one man come and go..."

Is there a reason for pluralizing the verb? :/

Offline poliglotta

• Stateless
  • Time won't take the boy out of this man.
Re: Pride and Bad Grammar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:27:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"One man come in the name of love...one man come and go..."

Is there a reason for pluralizing the verb? :/

I have always wondered the very same thing. ???

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »
Sounds catchier?

Also he's kinda speaking in slang and I'm not an expert historian but maybe they were in the Caribbean when they wrote this & theres a Bob Marley One Love vibe. So thats what I think.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
Artistic license?

Offline ian ryan

• Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »
^ this

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 12:42:54 PM »
It's less egregious than getting a vitally important historical fact wrong about your subject.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
It's less egregious than getting a vitally important historical fact wrong about your subject.

Artistic license again.   ;)

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
You don't take artistic licence with history, especially when your message is hero-worship of a historical figure.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:26:06 PM »
You don't take artistic licence with history, especially when your message is hero-worship of a historical figure.

Wikipedia says you can.   ;)

Seriously,  though, I think since Bono was only about 8 years old at the time, he probably just remembers it as being morning. 

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:28:05 AM »
Bono wasn't 8 when he wrote it though. I'm sure he had access to an encyclopedia or history book.

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:38:57 AM »

Says who? The "One's Way of Correctly Writing Lyrics For A Song Gramatically" (1782)? Artistic licence is always allowed in every form of art. Historical films are riddled full of historical artistic licence, A gramatical issue with a song for the pruposes of a sound is perfectly acceptable.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 06:43:20 AM »
Yes, because "early morning" simply CANNOT be replaced with "early EVENING". It just doesn't fit the song. That's why Bono would NEVER substitute the proper time. He has in concert, so this argument is dead in the water, floating facedown, already mouldering.

Bono acknowledged it was an ERROR. It wasn't a conscious artistic choice to mess with his beloved MLK's death. It's simply Bono being ignorant and not informing himself before writing a song about a really easy "good" target to boost his own image as a "good guy". His endgame was self-glory, not elevation of MLK.

And that is why I loathe Pride, never listen to it, and will use it as a bathroom break if U2 doesn't kill it on the tour again before the shows I'm attending this year.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:46:10 AM by Droo »

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 06:52:31 AM »
If you were to pick out any song, you can punch holes in it - gramatically, musically, any-way-ly - and someone would be offended because they replaced "morning" with "evening" or used an "a" instead of a "the". The whole thing about music is the big picture - how a song sounds. What it means to a person at a particular moment (that's why people get thrown back to parts of their live when a seemingly unrelated song comes up on the radio). Certain chords, certain words, certain musical phrases suit certain songs and just suit the song, and as a song becomes accepted and established over time, it sticks. It'd be silly to criticise Mozart because he used a certain chord progression, liked and accepted over the years, just because it was just breaking the rules of music, or plainly incorrect.

You hate a song because of a gramatical issue of "morning" or "evening" weren't used, that's crazy. Plain and simple. Yu don't like a song because it just doesn't settle with you, or soen't do anything for you, that's fine

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »
It's not a "grammatical issue". I don't give two tosses about the alleged bad grammar in the use of the word "come" in this song. This is a factual issue. It doesn't sit well with me, to use your own language. It is unacceptable to me and makes me question Bono's intent in writing the lyrics, which aren't that great even if he had gotten this aspect of the song correctly.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 12:07:49 AM »
It's not a "grammatical issue". I don't give two tosses about the alleged bad grammar in the use of the word "come" in this song. This is a factual issue. It doesn't sit well with me, to use your own language. It is unacceptable to me and makes me question Bono's intent in writing the lyrics, which aren't that great even if he had gotten this aspect of the song correctly.

Clearly Bono knew he was taking liberties with the time line of the shooting. It was artistic license because the lyrics sounded better as "early morning" rather than "early evening" (as most song writers would concede in my opinion) even though they were historically inaccurate. He apologized later out of respect for King's family who he came to know pretty well. He could have said he took artistic license but instead chose to let that go and just said he was wrong.

It's only a big deal to those who want it to be a big deal. The message of the song is not invalid because of the original wording as the song is meant to invoke emotion and not to be a history lesson. If songs need to be historically accurate to be acceptable, your musical library must be very small.