Author Topic: Pride and Bad Grammar  (Read 5190 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Pride and Bad Grammar
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 04:53:52 AM »
"6-01 pm, April 4" would have worked perfectly.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 09:38:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hey if Bono is willing to sing "16th of June, 9:05" then he could sing that.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »
It's not a "grammatical issue". I don't give two tosses about the alleged bad grammar in the use of the word "come" in this song. This is a factual issue. It doesn't sit well with me, to use your own language. It is unacceptable to me and makes me question Bono's intent in writing the lyrics, which aren't that great even if he had gotten this aspect of the song correctly.

Clearly Bono knew he was taking liberties with the time line of the shooting. It was artistic license because the lyrics sounded better as "early morning" rather than "early evening" (as most song writers would concede in my opinion) even though they were historically inaccurate. He apologized later out of respect for King's family who he came to know pretty well. He could have said he took artistic license but instead chose to let that go and just said he was wrong.

It's only a big deal to those who want it to be a big deal. The message of the song is not invalid because of the original wording as the song is meant to invoke emotion and not to be a history lesson. If songs need to be historically accurate to be acceptable, your musical library must be very small.

Well said. I agree but could not express it as nicely as this  :D

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »

Hey if Bono is willing to sing "16th of June, 9:05" then he could sing that.

But the Breathe line fits rhythmically in Breathe, whereas Briscoe's proposed line would not in Pride. ;D

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »
What JT said.

Online eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »
I don't know why it's such a big deal if he changed the timing of the shooting. It's a song, it's not an eyewitness testimony. Morning works, evening doesn't and that's that.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »
here's something i heard on the radio when the hosts were talking about Pride and the lyrics. what if it was morning Dublin time on April 4 when he was shot? i know nothing bout the time zones etc i just thought that would be interesting.

Offline Chip

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I've wondered for some time if "Early morning" wasn't a poetic choice for the sense of resurrection that comes through in "Free at last/They took your life/But they could not take your pride."

In terms of "One man come," I chalk that up to poetic license.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:29:09 PM by Chip »

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 11:29:52 PM »
here's something i heard on the radio when the hosts were talking about Pride and the lyrics. what if it was morning Dublin time on April 4 when he was shot? i know nothing bout the time zones etc i just thought that would be interesting.

I was about to dispute you on this that it wouldn't be early morning there (I have UK friends and being in the EST they're 5 hours ahead of me, so 6pm my time is 11pm theirs). However, King was assassinated in Memphis, which is in the CST time zone. That's 6 hours behind Dublin's timezone. So 6:01pm CST is 12:01am Dublin time. HOWEVER, that's technically the next day, so King would have been killed on April 5 in Dublin, but April 4 in Memphis.

It's an interesting explanation, but technically that explanation wouldn't work. I think more likely is Bono simply confused the times and when he realized his error (after the recording) he changed to the correct time for live performances. Hence why he says "early evening" when playing the song live.

Someone else mentioned morning being easier to say/better flow than evening. I don't agree with that. I've sung this song many times before and evening sounds just as good as morning, in terms of the song flow.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 03:55:38 AM »

I was about to dispute you on this that it wouldn't be early morning there (I have UK friends and being in the EST they're 5 hours ahead of me, so 6pm my time is 11pm theirs). However, King was assassinated in Memphis, which is in the CST time zone. That's 6 hours behind Dublin's timezone. So 6:01pm CST is 12:01am Dublin time. HOWEVER, that's technically the next day, so King would have been killed on April 5 in Dublin, but April 4 in Memphis.

It's an interesting explanation, but technically that explanation wouldn't work. I think more likely is Bono simply confused the times and when he realized his error (after the recording) he changed to the correct time for live performances. Hence why he says "early evening" when playing the song live.

Someone else mentioned morning being easier to say/better flow than evening. I don't agree with that. I've sung this song many times before and evening sounds just as good as morning, in terms of the song flow.

Bono has always insisted the lyric was a mistake but I wonder if the choice of morning works better because April 4 phonetically sounds like "thaw" and the dawn symbolism works well with the rebirth evoked by "free at last".  I don't think the verse would've sounded as good if he'd chosen the more historically correct "evening", which is evocative of darkness. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
he rerecorded this song with someone a few years ago and changed it to evening.