Poll

Do you want to see the Return of the Stingray Guitar for the North American leg?

Yes
No

Author Topic: The Return of The Return of the Stingray Guitar  (Read 1759 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: The Return of The Return of the Stingray Guitar
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Track 1. The Return of the Stingray Guitar (Instrumental)
Track 2. I Will Follow
Track 3. Beautiful Day

And 360 isn't a greatest hits tour.  ???

Much of PopMart;

Track 1- Mofo
Track 2- I Will Follow
Track 3- Even Better Than The Real Thing

...Curse that renowned greatest hits tour that is PopMart!

...Incidentally, that's before we get to Lovetown concerts opening with Streets into I Will Follow into I Still Haven't Found. Seriously, if we now use 'Two of the first three songs' as our basis for decreeing something a greatest hits tour, we've hit a new low!  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
Track 1. The Return of the Stingray Guitar (Instrumental)
Track 2. I Will Follow
Track 3. Beautiful Day

And 360 isn't a greatest hits tour.  ???

Much of PopMart;

Track 1- Mofo
Track 2- I Will Follow
Track 3- Even Better Than The Real Thing

...Curse that renowned greatest hits tour that is PopMart!

In point of fact, that was the opening sequence for only 26 PopMart shows at the start of the tour. 

For the rest of the PopMart tour (67 shows) they opened with this sequence:-

Track 1. Mofo
Track 2. I Will Follow
Track 3. Gone

In what way does that look like a greatest hits set-list?  ;)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
Well, other than the fact that you totally ignored the Joshua Tree Tour example which is even more striking, thus far we've seen the opening you're complaining about for 34 out of about 85 shows. I guess we'll see what happens coming up.

Plus of course, the entire attempt to claim that it's a greatest hits tour because 2 of the first three are greatest hits is generally a pretty desperate measure  :D Especially because you've literally picked 'first three' arbitrarily to cut out the fact that the next two would completely disprove your point.

Seriously, it's like me deciding that the 360 Tour is actually a far more daring setlist than the Popmart tour because only one of the last three songs is a greatest hit while TWO of the last three on Popmart are! (Shocking! ) It's really beyond mockery .
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:52:42 PM by The Unknown Caller »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »
Well, other than the fact that you totally ignored the Joshua Tree Tour example which is even more striking,

I agree with Larry that on the Lovetown tour U2 had become a 'touring jukebox', which is why they reinvented themselves for their next album and tour. :)

thus far we've seen the opening you're complaining about for 34 out of about 85 shows.

The difference is 360 evolved into a greatest hits tour as it progressed, where as PopMart was NEVER a greatest hits tour.

I guess we'll see what happens coming up.

Opening with Beautiful Day.

the entire attempt to claim that it's a greatest hits tour because 2 of the first three are greatest hits is generally a pretty desperate measure

I claim that 360 has become a greatest hits tour because of the songs that follow, but certainly when a band is opening with oldies it's a good indicator that the audience is in for a night of hits and oldies.

Especially because you've literally picked 'first three' arbitrarily to cut out the fact that the next two would completely disprove your point.

Then it seems you're not the only one with a monopoly on being disingenuous.  ;)

Although, "the next two" happen to be *half* of all the new songs from NLOTH that they will perform all night.

See, you can't help yourself from being disingenuous.  ::)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »
What's more 'I Will Follow'  much like most of the staples of ZOOTV and PopMart were reinvented, in some cases quite drastically (Streets, Running To Stand Still, With Or Without You, Bullet, SBS) All the hits on 360 sound much like they have for the past ten years.

I mean, just as an example, is there anything to separate the 360 SBS from Vertigo? If you didn't care for the PopMart SBS then fair enough but it was U2 trying something new and keeping the song alive. Elevations SBS was fantastic and refreshing to hear it played that way again but c'mon after ten years take it back to the Rattle & Hum version at least. Back in t' old days I'd look forward to the hits to see how they would be approached this time round, 360 has embalmed U2s songs, it's a museum.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
What's more 'I Will Follow'  much like most of the staples of ZOOTV and PopMart were reinvented, in some cases quite drastically (Streets, Running To Stand Still, With Or Without You, Bullet, SBS) All the hits on 360 sound much like they have for the past ten years.

I mean, just as an example, is there anything to separate the 360 SBS from Vertigo? If you didn't care for the PopMart SBS then fair enough but it was U2 trying something new and keeping the song alive. Elevations SBS was fantastic and refreshing to hear it played that way again but c'mon after ten years take it back to the Rattle & Hum version at least. Back in t' old days I'd look forward to the hits to see how they would be approached this time round, 360 has embalmed U2s songs, it's a museum.

You make some very good points, Bads.

On the Elevation tour, they had changed their live sound from that of PopMart and so it was refreshing to hear, but on Vertigo and 360 they just sound the same as they did on Elevation.  Like The Rolling Stones they have now firmly established their 'modern' live sound.  I predict they'll have the same sound on their next tour, too.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
Fez - Being Born would be the best opener for the remainder of the tour, but they certainly shouldn't be opening with an oldie.

Agreed.

Double agree.