Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 62151 times)

northstarjo

Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
hey - who turned this into an AB song thread???  I go away for a couple of days and look what happens! :D

AB is the best album, and it's a Rank the albums thread, so of course it will turn into an AB song rankings thread  :P

gee...why didn't I figure that out ???   :D

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »
hey - who turned this into an AB song thread???  I go away for a couple of days and look what happens! :D

AB is the best album, and it's a Rank the albums thread, so of course it will turn into an AB song rankings thread  :P

Um, okay.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2011, 06:23:52 AM »

Um, okay.

uh ok?

Offline KLFire34

• Wanderer
  • Into the heart of a child
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Rattle And Hum
4. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
5. All That You Can't Leave Behind
6. No Line On The Horizon
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Zooropa
9. War
10. October
11. Pop
12. Boy

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
It was me- they didn't have to create a herd to follow! (Well, I guess I did suggest it- can't remember why though...)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:09 PM »
It was me- they didn't have to create a herd to follow! (Well, I guess I did suggest it- can't remember why though...)

I like to rank things. So just ask me to do it and I will. ;)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2011, 01:10:38 AM »
I'm gonna state my opinion on why I think Mercy shoud be hyped up to be the next "One".

The lyrics from the original are up there with Bono's finest and it has a relentless guitar track that lifts my soul as the song progresses. It takes a lot for me to feel this way about a song, but the song just builds and builds to the climax. It isn't too long and the lyrics should remian the same as the original. Bono's vocals aren't his best, but they are nowhere near his worst either. I enjoy Larry's drumming aswell and I think that adds to the experience.

Acrobat is more "exclusive" because it has never been played live. Don't get me wrong, it would blow the roof off if it got played live but would that take away the "exclusivity" of it? It has always been a favourite for the fans just like "Bad" is.

I believe Mercy is one of U2's greatest ballads and you can feel the emotion in every lyric that Bono belts out. It is a very emotional experience listening to it, just because I believe everything he is saying and it just feels perfect. Not any one member is dominant on it, they all share out the honours equally. Mercy is one of my absolute favourite songs of all time, not just U2, and I hate seeing it getting discounted to the waste bin on this forum.

And my main concern over the song is that the original has NO climax. It builds and builds, and then stops. Huh? For a song like that, I think one would need a climax somewhere in the song.

Am I the only one who considers the extended final verse containing the lines "love is the end of history, the enemy of misery" the climax?

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »
I'm gonna state my opinion on why I think Mercy shoud be hyped up to be the next "One".

The lyrics from the original are up there with Bono's finest and it has a relentless guitar track that lifts my soul as the song progresses. It takes a lot for me to feel this way about a song, but the song just builds and builds to the climax. It isn't too long and the lyrics should remian the same as the original. Bono's vocals aren't his best, but they are nowhere near his worst either. I enjoy Larry's drumming aswell and I think that adds to the experience.

Acrobat is more "exclusive" because it has never been played live. Don't get me wrong, it would blow the roof off if it got played live but would that take away the "exclusivity" of it? It has always been a favourite for the fans just like "Bad" is.

I believe Mercy is one of U2's greatest ballads and you can feel the emotion in every lyric that Bono belts out. It is a very emotional experience listening to it, just because I believe everything he is saying and it just feels perfect. Not any one member is dominant on it, they all share out the honours equally. Mercy is one of my absolute favourite songs of all time, not just U2, and I hate seeing it getting discounted to the waste bin on this forum.

And my main concern over the song is that the original has NO climax. It builds and builds, and then stops. Huh? For a song like that, I think one would need a climax somewhere in the song.

Am I the only one who considers the extended final verse containing the lines "love is the end of history, the enemy of misery" the climax?

No you're not OAP. I believe that part of the song to be the climax of it aswell. That is the point where it goes into overdrive and climaxes beautifully.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »

No you're not OAP. I believe that part of the song to be the climax of it aswell. That is the point where it goes into overdrive and climaxes beautifully.

Exactly.  It's not an explosive climax or anything but its a climax in a similar way the final "what you dont have" verse is in Beautiful Day

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »
^ Yeah I would agree with that. It doesn't erupt in your face like some songs do, it just oozes out in to the final part of the song and that is another reason why I love this song so much.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »
^ Yeah I would agree with that. It doesn't erupt in your face like some songs do, it just oozes out in to the final part of the song and that is another reason why I love this song so much.

Yup.  Many U2 songs have that type of climax.  One has it ("love is a temple" verse), Walk On has it ("all that you fashion" verse), Magnificent has it (repetition of the chorus at the end), I can go on and on.  Just because it isnt a prototypical climax a la With or Without You or City of Blinding Lights doesnt mean its not a climax

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »

Yup.  Many U2 songs have that type of climax.  One has it ("love is a temple" verse), Walk On has it ("all that you fashion" verse), Magnificent has it (repetition of the chorus at the end), I can go on and on.  Just because it isnt a prototypical climax a la With or Without You or City of Blinding Lights doesnt mean its not a climax

the best climax in recent U2 memory is easily SYCMIOYO the "can....you..hear......me..when.....i .....SINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG" part. YES!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »

Yup.  Many U2 songs have that type of climax.  One has it ("love is a temple" verse), Walk On has it ("all that you fashion" verse), Magnificent has it (repetition of the chorus at the end), I can go on and on.  Just because it isnt a prototypical climax a la With or Without You or City of Blinding Lights doesnt mean its not a climax

the best climax in recent U2 memory is easily SYCMIOYO the "can....you..hear......me..when.....i .....SINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG" part. YES!

For once I agree with DesertSky. :P :)

The Grave

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
I think the song that has the best climax is the remix of crazy  :P

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
I think the song that has the best climax is the remix of crazy  :P