Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 45687 times)

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm sort of surprised at how many people have Zooropa in their top 3. Didn't expect that. Also didn't expect No Line to be as high as it was. And I understand there's a group that worships October... but I never realized how many. Finally, it seems Rattle & Hum is consistently toward the bottom of people's lists (mine as well), but I at the same time, U2's shows at the Point Depot in Dublin during the Lovetown tour are some of my favorite shows of all time! Strange...

I think part of R&H's problem is its lack of flow. I love Heartland, All I Want is You, Hawkmoon, and God Part II, but I don't like having to sit through live tracks to get to them. Having based my list on how much I enjoy listening to each album as a whole, R&H unfortunately ends up at the bottom.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »
I love Zooropa...I didn't expect to, but I do. The NLOTH I put down to the "youth" trend in the forum....seems like lots of the younger people like the new stuff - and there seem to be a lot of young fans on @U2. At least it seems that way to me.  (but don't even get me started about those "October" people!!! ;))

What's wrong with the October people?  :-[  :) And I'm not sure I like to be described as a "worshipper" of October. Though, really, I think a lot of people on here "worship" Pop in the same way. These are both albums that even the band themselves regards with somewhat disdain (dont read the liner notes that comes with the remastering of October--you can hear the subtext of "we're so sorry this album sucks, we tried" between all the lines). So really I think the people who love Pop and October are the same type of people--really passionate about an album that's underrated by even U2--so we have a knee jerk need to loudly stand up for the album we love. Although the same people who love Pop will also in the same breath say mean things about October... It seems kind of like you're kicking down your own people.  We arent so different, Pop people!

(Although, I ironically, I will point out that I rate Pop in relatively the same position as all the October-haters... though it's not at my bottom, but some of the October disliking people dont rate it at the very bottom of their lists either.)

Secondly, I'm of the middle aged generation who loves NLOTH. :) I like it better, in fact, than anything else released in the 2000's. I definitely listen to it more. Though recently, I've started to like ATYCLB better than I used to...

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
Alright – I’ve done this before, but this is how I feel in May 2011.

1.  Achtung Baby (favorite album of all time – I want to be buried with it – not one bad song)
2.  No Line on the Horizon (hard to put it this high, but I’ve overplayed it but still not bored – very strong and interesting all the way through)
3.  The Joshua Tree (I usually skip the “hits” but that’s ‘cause I hear them all over)
4.  Zooropa (listen to this much more than JT – it’s gaining in relevancy 20 years later)
5.  The Unforgettable Fire (great in its entirety, but up this high solely because of “Bad”)
6.  Boy (I really rediscovered this again last fall)
7.  All That You Can’t Leave Behind (hard to put up this high because it seems like a step backward, but it’s just got great songs)
8.  Pop (feel bad about putting this so low, ‘cause it’s so great)
9.  War (great album, but I’m embarrassed by “Refugee” and “Red Light”)
10.  Rattle and Hum (always hard to figure out where to put a half-live album)
11.  How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (has some good songs, but I never willingly listen)
12.  October (still charming in its own way, but a lot of skips for me)

northstarjo

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
I love Zooropa...I didn't expect to, but I do. The NLOTH I put down to the "youth" trend in the forum....seems like lots of the younger people like the new stuff - and there seem to be a lot of young fans on @U2. At least it seems that way to me.  (but don't even get me started about those "October" people!!! ;))

What's wrong with the October people?  :-[  :) And I'm not sure I like to be described as a "worshipper" of October. Though, really, I think a lot of people on here "worship" Pop in the same way. These are both albums that even the band themselves regards with somewhat disdain (dont read the liner notes that comes with the remastering of October--you can hear the subtext of "we're so sorry this album sucks, we tried" between all the lines). So really I think the people who love Pop and October are the same type of people--really passionate about an album that's underrated by even U2--so we have a knee jerk need to loudly stand up for the album we love. Although the same people who love Pop will also in the same breath say mean things about October... It seems kind of like you're kicking down your own people.  We arent so different, Pop people!

(Although, I ironically, I will point out that I rate Pop in relatively the same position as all the October-haters... though it's not at my bottom, but some of the October disliking people dont rate it at the very bottom of their lists either.)

Secondly, I'm of the middle aged generation who loves NLOTH. :) I like it better, in fact, than anything else released in the 2000's. I definitely listen to it more. Though recently, I've started to like ATYCLB better than I used to...

oh come now....you know I love to tease about Ocotber....did you see where I rank it, btw?  We've had this discussion before- and I never said there was anything WRONG with you October-lovers either! ;)  It's so easy to get you started...... ;D   Did YOU write this album or something??     hahaha

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »
Yes, I wrote this album.  ;D I'm Bono, didnt you know? :) Of course, if I was really Bono, I probably wouldnt like October... :)

You totally misinterpreted me if you thought I was offended. I was just debating. I wish people would stop misinterpreting my responses as angry. I was just RESPONDING. My blood pressure didnt even raise.

And actually I was more responding to Zoost's comment than yours, Jo. And I like Zoost, so I wasnt shouting at him either.

northstarjo

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
okeydokey then  - plus, you did quote what I said, so that's why I responded
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:03:17 AM by northstarjo »

satellitedog01

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »
Pop (their last great album)
Zooropa (great songwriting and lyrics)
Passengers (I still listen)
Achtung Baby (almost perfect)
The Unforgettable Fire (ageless beauty)
TJT (best B-sides ever)
Boy (pretty good :-)
No Line
R&H (I wish I had the studio tracks separately, the whole album would move up on the ladder)
Atomic Bomb (a warmed up meal from last week)
ATYCLB (the point U2 stopped being interesting)
October (those girls should not have stolen Bono's notebook)

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, 06:13:43 PM »
AB (every song is great. their best album)
Pop (their next best album, even with Miami  :D)
War (this was my first album of theirs I owned, actually CD)
TJT (Solid songs and craftsmanship)
Zooropa
ATYCLB
BOY
TUF
Rattle and Hum (not quite a great live album and not quite a great studio album either. still the new material is terrific overall. but perhaps they should've done a full live album and then an album of new material and released them simultaneously. Call one "rattle" and the other one "hum")
HTDAAB
NLOTH
Original Soundtracks 1 (yeah yeah so it's not officially a "U2 album" because they collaborated so closely with Eno. Well they did the same on NLOTH too)
October. Except for October, Gloria, and Tomorrow, the album is a mess. Bono lost his lyrics and it shows "lah lah lah lah lah" uggh!. Still those 3 tracks are terrific.

Really it's funny though cuz HTDAAB is the one album that's grown the most for me over the years since its release. I might actually put it above R+H in a week or two.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:26:13 PM by mattressjedi »

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
Yes, I wrote this album.  ;D I'm Bono, didnt you know? :) Of course, if I was really Bono, I probably wouldnt like October... :)

You totally misinterpreted me if you thought I was offended. I was just debating. I wish people would stop misinterpreting my responses as angry. I was just RESPONDING. My blood pressure didnt even raise.

And actually I was more responding to Zoost's comment than yours, Jo. And I like Zoost, so I wasnt shouting at him either.

Hey, Ive had enough now. It wasn't me. Some dude called The Fly has STOLEN my avatar - Ive had it for so long everyone just looks at it and thinks it's me. It was him/her who wrote that about October.  >:(

:D :D :D :D :D :D

OK, The Fly - if you read this - you need to change your avatar  ;) - Ive had it for years, and now people are confusing me with you.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
I'm sort of surprised at how many people have Zooropa in their top 3. Didn't expect that. Also didn't expect No Line to be as high as it was. And I understand there's a group that worships October... but I never realized how many. Finally, it seems Rattle & Hum is consistently toward the bottom of people's lists (mine as well), but I at the same time, U2's shows at the Point Depot in Dublin during the Lovetown tour are some of my favorite shows of all time! Strange...

See, it was The Fly - that sad old rock star  :D

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 07:03:26 PM »
1. The Joshua Tree
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3. No Line On The Horizon
4. Achtung Baby
5. Zooropa
6. Rattle And Hum
7. Pop
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. Boy
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. War
12. October

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
AB
JT
UF
Zooropa
War
NLOTH
Pop
Boy
R&H
ATYCLB
HTDAAB
Oct

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »
JT
AB
Zooropa
Pop
TUF
NLOTH
War
Boy
HTDAAB
R&H
ATYCLB
October

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »

See, it was The Fly - that sad old rock star  :D

LOL! I apologize, Zoost!! Now I feel like an ass. :) I should maybe READ the names above the avatars.... My bad!!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2011, 04:37:29 AM »

Hey, Ive had enough now. It wasn't me. Some dude called The Fly has STOLEN my avatar - Ive had it for so long everyone just looks at it and thinks it's me. It was him/her who wrote that about October.  >:(

:D :D :D :D :D :D

OK, The Fly - if you read this - you need to change your avatar  ;) - Ive had it for years, and now people are confusing me with you.

I never even noticed that wasn't you - identity theft! :D