Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 62870 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
My U2antheon rankings for today. 

1.    Achtung Baby (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
2.   The Joshua Tree (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3)
3.   The Unforgettable Fire (3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 4, 5) 
4.   Zooropa (4, 4, 3, 3, 4, 5, 4)
5.   No Line on the Horizon (5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2)
6.   Boy (6, 6, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6)
7.   All That You Canít Leave Behind (8, 7, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7)   
8.   Pop (7, 9, 10, 8, 8, 8, 9)
9.   War (9, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8 )
10.   Songs of Innocence (10, 8, 6, X, X, X, X) 
11.   How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (11, 11, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10)
12.   Rattle and Hum (12, 12, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11)
13.   October  (13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 12, 12)

Iím also in a list-making mood today, so I looked back on this thread to see how I voted in the past.  In the parentheses are the rankings from the other dates (December 2015, April 2015, November 2014, July 2014, March 2013, September 2012, July 2012).

Iím surprised itís stayed this consistent, honestly.
Achtung Baby:  Iím fairly confident that U2 will never create anything that challenges Achtung Baby and what that album has meant to me.
The Joshua Tree:  as much as I donít really listen to the album, itís still the freaking Joshua Tree.
The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa:  Seem to battle it out at #3-4.
No Line on the Horizon: Iíve loved this album since it came out and was quite enamored with it for several years afterward Ė thus it got as far as #2 on my list back in 2012.  With time, it looks to have settled in at #5 for now.  It still has a special place for me, and I canít see it dropping.
Boy:  Firmly entrenched at #6
ATYCLB, Pop, and War:  it depends on my mood for which album is better Ė all are great though.
SOI:  I think #10 is a good place for this.  I really never have the urge to spin it, and when I do, I usually move on quickly.  It was as high as #6 for me after its release but continues to drop since then.
HTDAAB, R&H, October:  These albums are always in the last three. 

Offline shorne

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #511 on: June 22, 2016, 02:14:26 PM »
Achtung Baby
Songs of Innocence
The Joshua Tree
How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb
Pop
Rattle and Hum
Zooropa
Boy
All that You Can't Leave Behind
The Unforgettable Fire
War
No Line on the Horizon
October
Under a Blood Red Sky
Passengers

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #512 on: June 22, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
The Greatest:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. TUF
4. Zooropa

The Good:

5. The Joshua Tree
6. Boy
7. NLOTH
8. Original Sounstracks I

The Decent:

9. Songs of Innocence
10. War
11. R&H

The Bad:

12. October
13. ATYCLB
14. HTDAAB

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #513 on: June 22, 2016, 07:10:29 PM »
I already posted my list on another thread fairly recently but it's ready for an update as I recently listened to a lot of material again to confirm my thoughts and made some glaring errors after the top 3 .

1.  AB (my all time fav album from any artist)
2.  JT
3.  Zooropa
4.  Pop
5.  War
6.  ATYCLB
7.  TUF
8.  RH
9.  NLOTH
10.  Boy
11.  HTDAAB
12.  SOI
13.  October

8-10 were tough to rank and 12-13 are about even.  I didn't count Passengers or any live only recordings.

Offline MattDavis

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #514 on: June 22, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »
TJT
AB
TUF
R&H
Boy
ATYCLB
SOI
Pop
War
Zooropa
HTDAAB
NLOTH
October

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #515 on: May 24, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
I always like to resurrect this thread once in a while, because itís interesting to see how tastes change.  Itís also fun to see the names/avatar pictures of @U2 members I havenít seen in a while.  Itís like a virtual class reunion.  So as of today, my U2antheon is as follows:

TOP TIER:
1. Achtung Baby Ė My favorite album by anyone of all time.  I plan to be buried with it.  Every single song is amazing.  So, so good.  Iíll never tire of it. 
2. The Joshua Tree Ė Well, itís the Joshua Tree.  Iíve been listening to it with more frequency this spring.  Iím assuming Iím not the only one.
TIER TWO:
3. No Line on the Horizon Ė Yes, I said it.  Iíve deeply connected with this album more than most.  It still sounds amazing.  It has a strange effect on me like no other album can conjure.
4. Zooropa Ė A very, very special album.  So many visceral feelings associated with it.  My go-to U2 night album.
5. The Unforgettable Fire ĖAmazing.  I like every song.  When I ďput it on,Ē itís like a present being opened.   And it has ďBad,Ē which is my favorite song by anyone of all time.
TIER THREE:
6. Boy Ė When I listen to it, I think to myself:  ďthis is what default U2 sounds like.Ē  Iíve always enjoyed it.
7. All That You Canít Leave Behind Ė Itís not something I spin often of my own volition.  But itís hard to argue with the power of the first half.
8. War Ė There are very few U2 songs I dislike.  However, this album has two of them.   Those two songs bring down an otherwise amazing album. 
9. Pop Ė I really do love Pop.  I wish modern-day U2 would try to reach out of their comfort zone like this.  It suffers a bit with the same two-song issue I have with War.
BOTTOM (BUT MOST BANDS WISH THEY COULD ALBUMS LIKE THIS) TIER:
10. Rattle and Hum Ė I had a reawakening to the song ďHawkmoonĒ last summer, when it unexpectedly came on the radio as I was driving down a hill into a valley before a thunderstorm (really!).  But I donít listen to U2 for R&B-tinged music.  As the years have gone by, I feel that a lot of the tracks on here have been unjustly maligned.   
11. Songs of Innocence Ė I just didnít connect with it.  Iíve rarely listened to it since 2014, with the exception of ďSleep Like a Baby Tonight.Ē  The second half is pretty good, however.  It would have been interesting to see what it would have sounded like if Danger Mouse had sole production credit.
12. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb Ė I liked this more when it came out Ė it just hasnít aged well for me.  I wonít bash it, though Ė there are some good tunes here.
13. October Ė Even my least favorite U2 album is an album I find enjoyment listening to.  But something has to be last, right?   

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #516 on: May 24, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
Top 5
AB
JT
Zooropa
UF
War

Mid Tier
Pop
SOI
R&H
Boy
NLOTH

Maybe not so great
ATYCLB
HTDAAB
Octo

these rarely change order. I moved Zoo. up to the 3 spot last year. The mid-tiers may change the most. The bottom is pretty much what it's been for 10 years or so for me

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #517 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
Masterpieces

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop

Great

3. Zooropa
4. Original Soundtracks I
5. The Unforgettable Fire

Good

6. Boy
7. The Joshua Tree
8. No Line On the Horizon

Average

9. October
10. Songs of Innocence
11. War

Dreadful

12. Rattle & Hum
13. All That You Can't Leave Behind
14. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:22:18 PM by WookieeWarrior10 »

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #518 on: May 24, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
1. Achtung Baby - Rock and Roll miracle. Never duplicated. Greatest reinvention of a band ever.

2. The Joshua Tree - Created an incredible landscape of music. Timeless classic

3. Zooropa - Experimental Genius. Quirky and Fun.

4. The Unforgettable Fire - Best atmospheric album anchored by vintage anthems.

5. Rattle & Hum - The original tracks are some of my personal favorites. Peak musicianship.

6. War - Concept album with great execution on standout tracks.

7. Boy - Strong debut. Mature beyond it's years

8. Songs of Innocence - Time machine concept album that is a robust listen from start to finish. 

9. No Line on the Horizon - Highest highs, knocked down by several missteps. Best album 2000-2010.

10. Pop - Adventurous album that unfortunately sounds hollow in spots due to rushed production.

11. All That You Can't Leave Behind - Iconic songs, mixed with a play it safe approach, especially on the second half.

12. October - Dropoff in quality from Boy, but has some underrated gems

13. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - Vertigo saves an album where Bono seemed to put the cart ahead of the horse, by deciding what type of songs he wanted instead of letting the songwriting come naturally.  They were trying too hard, and yet it won the Grammy for Album of The Year.  That's how good a band U2 is.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #519 on: May 24, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
1. The Unforgettable Fire - I rate albums based on all the material that came from the sessions, and UF had it. The ambiance, the abstract art feel, the searching. It was, for me, their most complete record.
2. Achtung, Baby The greatest artistic reinvention in music history and the kickoff to U2's greatest patch
3. The Joshua TreeThe great masterpiece, all eleven songs fully belonging, great in-your-face ideas and an expansive welcoming feeling, even when dealing with the harshest of subject matter.
4. WAR Their first visual and creative masterpiece. The lost innocence of the boy from the BOY album, and a childs view of humanity's worst evils.
5. No Line on the Horizon Not quite masterpiece, it was somewhat spoiled by its soft center, but a sonic explosion producing amazing sounds from Fez to COL to MOS to Winter to Soon. Pity the world didn't look past the weak center with GOYB and Magnificent the let-down promotional records.
6. ZooropaThe album that could have been their sergeant pepper - Playful, full of attitude and breaking all the rules - shame they rushed it out so fast. AS it is, it's a great album. Another six months and it could have sold 30-40M copies and could have been their finest hour. It could have been combined with passengers to produce U2's first truly 'dark side of the moon' high on drugs sounding record. Imagine this record with Lady with the spinning head, Alex descends into hell, HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, and a few pan-european sounds thrown in for effect, with entire verses written in latin, Russian, German, Italian and allusions to various places across the continent.
7. BOY The innocence of childhood summed up in great teenage simplicity and with sophmore talent that lends additional authenticity even if it comes with bad choices like Bono playing the  triangle in I will Follow.
8. Songs of Innocence Masterpieces have left the building, but individual songs like Cedarwood road, Troubles, Raised like wolves and others still make this a good album.
9. Rattle and Hum Misguided, hegemonic, but also filled with brilliant moments like Desire, Hawkmoon, All I want is you, etc.
10. How to dismantle an atomic bomb Another near masterpiece. Bono summed it up as "The whole is not greater than the sum of it's parts" and I agree. There is no mental image with this album. No sense of Desert (JT), timelessness (UF), Lost innocence (WAR), urban chaos (AB), etc. It loses something with that, though it has some great songs.
11. October Good for a second album, but we'd all  be disappointed if this was released today. Most notably, no truly memorable hits.
12. POP That's right, POP defenders, i'm down on you. Totally misguided, they needed to bring 3 or 4 huge hits to market to not look like reaching with the massive tour and ridiculous stage. It had its moments, but not close to best effort.
13. All that you can't leave behind Kite and In a little while beighten the place up, but this is the worst of their well known albums for me
14. Passengers/OS1Should not count as a u2 album - some brilliance but way too much filler (and contains Elvis Ate America - easily the worst song on any of these albums)

Offline evaboogaard

• Babyface
« Reply #520 on: May 24, 2017, 03:58:42 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. All That You Can't Leave Behind
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. How To Dismantle
6. Unforgettable Fire
7. Boy
8. War
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Zooropa
11. Pop
12. October

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #521 on: May 25, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »
May 2017 rankings:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. Songs of Innocence
4. Zooropa
5. The Joshua Tree
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. No Line on the Horizon
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. Rattle & Hum
10. War
11. Passengers
12. Boy
13. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
14. October

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #522 on: May 25, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. Zooropa
4. The Joshua Tree
5. War
6. The Unforgetable Fire
7. All That You Cant Leave Behind
8. Boy

All of the above are great albums. The following are the more problematic ones in my opinion.

9. October
10. Rattle & Hum
11. Songs of Innocence
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. No Line on the Horizon

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #523 on: May 25, 2017, 10:28:08 PM »
1-AB
2-Pop
3-The Joshua Tree
4-All That You Can't Leave behind
5-Songs of Innocence
6-No Line On The Horizon
7-Zooropa
8-Boy
9-Atomic Bomb
10-TUF
11-War
12-R&H
13-October

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #524 on: May 26, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
top 4:

1. Zooropa
2. Pop
3. No Line On The Horizon
4. The Unforgettable Fire

bottom 2:

11. Rattle and Hum
12. War

the other ones move around in between those groups, and they're constantly shifting. right now, atomic bomb is my fave of that middle group, but that'll probably change in a month or two.

#@!

^ Yes, that was me the 1st time around. Now, on to the subject at hand...

What's changed? Not much. SOI's been fighting it out with TUF for that #4 spot ever since it was released, and OS1 and October are in a pitched battle for supremacy in that middle group. AB's probably at the bottom of that middle group now, if only because I just don't think about that album anymore when I'm not here seeing y'all writing about it. I still love most of those songs from it, but at this point they might as well be non-album singles; my brain never seems to tie them together anymore, if that makes any sense.