Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 61970 times)

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #600 on: September 12, 2018, 07:33:39 AM »
Achtung Baby
Pop
Zooropa
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
War
NLOTH
October
Rattle & Hum
Boy
HTDAAB
ATYCLB
SOE
SOI

I'm sorry but I just can't get into the last two albums. I've played and played them hoping they'd grow on me, but nope.

maxford

« Reply #601 on: September 19, 2018, 05:26:41 AM »
Gonna clump them like a lot of others on here.

JT: It's the Joshua Tree. Most complete album ever made. Don't care how overrated people say it is, words can't even describe a work of art that good. Incredibly underrated second half as well.

AB: Some great anthems. So Cruel is just about the most underrated song of all time.
UF: Not a huge fan of the entire album, but Bad, Pride and a couple of others make it work so well.

ATYCLB
SOE

Atomic Bomb
SOI
October

War
Horizon
Pop

R & H
Boy

Zooropa: I get the creativity and exploration side of it, but it falls flat for me. Numb is weirdly decent, but everything else was a disappointment.

Just my opinion, feel free to rip into me  ;)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:37:02 AM by maxford »

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #602 on: September 19, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »
We like to rip into each other for certain other things, but personal album rankings are safe and respected :)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #603 on: September 19, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
I agree with you on Zooropa; not an album I return to often, although I love the title song and "Dirty Day".

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #604 on: September 23, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Zooropa: I get the creativity and exploration side of it, but it falls flat for me. Numb is weirdly decent, but everything else was a disappointment.

Stay?

nulla uomo

« Reply #605 on: September 23, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
OK, I'll give this a shot:

Joshua Tree
War
The Unforgettable Fire
October
Achtung Baby
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Zooropa
Rattle And Hum
Boy
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Pop
No Line On The Horizon
Songs Of Innocence
Songs Of Experience

This wasn't easy.  I could probably come up with several permutations of the same list.  Anyways, I LOVE THEM ALL!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #606 on: September 23, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
Nulla, cool that you rank "October" near the top of the pack. Me, too.  I also rank "No Line" in my top three.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #607 on: September 23, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
Some people feel like their rankings are basically in stone, and others like it could change by the day. I'm in the latter group, and also just can't really rank them. How do I compare October to Zooropa? Which one I reach for depends in my mood, or if I just read something interesting about one of the songs, or a number of other factors.

Or I don't know where to rank, say, The Joshua Tree, which I've played sooo many times that I don't really play it anymore. But I can't rank it low, either, jeez, it changed my life.

It's useless to me!

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #608 on: September 23, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »
Well yes my preference towards certain albums can change based on certain factors too, but on average and over the course of many years (aside from the most recent albums) you can be somewhat confident in placing them in a fairly accurate list, established by your personal history with each of them.

Even though I might find myself enjoying All That You Can't Leave Behind one summer, I'm not suddenly going to be placing it on an album rankings list above Joshua Tree or War. I am able to see the forest through the trees, so to speak.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:01:05 PM by Clarky »

nulla uomo

« Reply #609 on: September 24, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
Nulla, cool that you rank "October" near the top of the pack. Me, too.  I also rank "No Line" in my top three.

Ah, October.  Definitely a rare gem in U2's catalogue. 

It's to me a spiritual album.  Sure, organized religion played a role with the majority of the band being Christians.  But it transcends that even with the awesome "Gloria" and its latin chorus.  Think "Rejoice" - "I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me, Rejoice".  A declaration of spirituality and recognizing that one has a place in the world.  That's what it's all about, life is there for one to understand and there is a spiritual grace to guide you through.  Even the atmospheric "I Fall Down" represents the spirit, realizing one is human and will "fall down" - "I want to get up, when I wake up, but when I get up, I fall down".  The promise hidden in the lyrics that even though we are all human and will fall down, we still have the spiritual strength to stand up and face life.  And the stunning starkness of the title track "October" with Edge on piano and Bono singing about the spiritual strength we all possess to keep going - "October and Kingdoms rise, and Kingdoms fall, but you go on, and on".

It's a glorious album and one I recommend to new listeners to U2's magic.  For a second album, where many bands fail, U2 rose above all and produced a stunner with October.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #610 on: September 24, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »
Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Zooropa
Songs of Experience
Pop
Songs of Innocence
Boy
No Line on the Horizon
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Rattle & Hum
October

nulla uomo

« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Zooropa
Songs of Experience
Pop
Songs of Innocence
Boy
No Line on the Horizon
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Rattle & Hum
October

LOL!  You posted this list, on this same thread, on June 27th 2018.  Got to rub in the October thing.  Having said that I respect your list and respect other's opinions.  Just think it's funny, that you posted it before and again after a comment about October.

How about this?  If you disagree with my assessment on October, please tell me what you think about the album, which places last on your list.  Passive/Aggressive reposting of your list again doesn't do it justice.  A fair rebuttal does.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:51:30 AM by nulla uomo »

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
It's possible they just forgot they posted to this thread before. Easy to do on a thread like this one.

nulla uomo

« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »
I hear you.  I probably reacted too quickly.  It just seems a weird coincidence to me.  But if I'm wrong, I apologize.  I meant no harm.  Though, I do like to hear people's thoughts on U2 albums.  Anyways, I'm not very skilled on message boards and I'm a newbie here.  This is my first message board in probably 10 years.  I usually shy away from social media type things.  But, this forum looked reasonable.  So, here I am.  Don't know for how long though.  Give it a little time I guess.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
It's all good. I noticed the October ranking too, and was amused.