Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 45690 times)

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Killing My Inspriation And Singing About My Grief
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
I know how well-loved it is on this forum, so I really am putting my neck on the line by discounting it, but I maintain that it doesn't feel right on the album. Maybe if it were placed in a different place on the album (maybe after One) then I might feel differently about it. I just feel that it upsets the balance of the album by where it is. It leads nicely into Ultraviolet, but Ultraviolet is the start of the trio of songs that end the album. And you can't say that it fits in after The Fly and Mysterious Ways, so I think it is more to do with where the song is on the album, rather than the song itself

northstarjo

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know how well-loved it is on this forum, so I really am putting my neck on the line by discounting it, but I maintain that it doesn't feel right on the album. Maybe if it were placed in a different place on the album (maybe after One) then I might feel differently about it. I just feel that it upsets the balance of the album by where it is. It leads nicely into Ultraviolet, but Ultraviolet is the start of the trio of songs that end the album. And you can't say that it fits in after The Fly and Mysterious Ways, so I think it is more to do with where the song is on the album, rather than the song itself

strangely agree with that logic.....

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
for me So Cruel and Acrobat are the reasons why AB isn't "Perfect"

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »

Does this mean that I am converting you to my way of thinking Jo?  ;D

northstarjo

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »

Does this mean that I am converting you to my way of thinking Jo?  ;D

you wish.... :D - besides, I'm older and much wiser ;)

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »

Acrobat is AMAZING. So Cruel i agree is the weakest, but by no means a skip-able song.

Offline The Fly

• Stateless
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »

I agree with you about So Cruel; that's probably the only song I skip on AB (and maybe it's because I know The Fly is next). I couldn't disagree more, though, about Acrobat. To me it's a travesty that they have never played this song live. It's one of the best songs they've ever written IMO. The poetry is amazing--dark and moving. The music matches it perfectly. It's an incredibly powerful song. I think Bono said he couldn't sing it live because he could take himself to the dark place that that song came out of. Understandable, but it's still a brilliant song.

Offline Boom Cha!

• Acrobat
  • This is a low flying panic attack
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
Why does no one love So Cruel?  :(

It's such a heartbreaking song; one of Bono's best songs lyrically and vocally. I also enjoy Larry's hip-hop drum beat.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »
top 4:

1. Zooropa
2. Pop
3. No Line On The Horizon
4. The Unforgettable Fire

bottom 2:

11. Rattle and Hum
12. War

the other ones move around in between those groups, and they're constantly shifting. right now, atomic bomb is my fave of that middle group, but that'll probably change in a month or two.

#@!

Offline Alexander

• Babyface
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »
On The Achtung Baby subject, I think the songs that let down its brilliance are Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Even Better Then The Real Thing. WGRYWH has a completely formulaic chorus in my opinion and doesn't nearly match the quality of the other songs on the album, if it was ATYCLB maybe I'd have a better opinion of it. Even Better Then The Real Thing sounds clunky, dated and is just dull, I hate that song. Acrobat on the other hand is incredible and So Cruel is beautiful if a bit too long.

My top U2 albums goes something like this:

1. Achtung Baby
2. POP
3. Zooropa
4. The Joshua Tree
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
7. How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb
8. Boy
9. War
10. Rattle and Hum
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. October

northstarjo

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »

It's such a heartbreaking song; one of Bono's best songs lyrically and vocally. I also enjoy Larry's hip-hop drum beat.

Love So Cruel...fantastic lyrics

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »

Bono's greatest to date... possibly with the exception of the original Mercy lyrics

northstarjo

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »

Bono's greatest to date... possibly with the exception of the original Mercy lyrics
(did we just agree on something? ;))

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »

(did we just agree on something? ;))

We might just have done you know  ;D

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »

I agree with you about So Cruel; that's probably the only song I skip on AB (and maybe it's because I know The Fly is next). I couldn't disagree more, though, about Acrobat. To me it's a travesty that they have never played this song live. It's one of the best songs they've ever written IMO. The poetry is amazing--dark and moving. The music matches it perfectly. It's an incredibly powerful song. I think Bono said he couldn't sing it live because he could take himself to the dark place that that song came out of. Understandable, but it's still a brilliant song.

I think that Acrobat is so overrated its like Mercy. Oh god they've never played it live so it must be the best thing ever. Ultraviolet, Stay, and even RTSS are way more powerful songs about "darkness."