Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 62109 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Acrobat is in no way, shape or form like Mercy.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Obviously it's not. I think he's just saying he doesn't understand why these 2 songs ar so hyped up. I'd agree i have no clue why Mercy is such a big deal to people. But Acrobat DEFINITELY deserves the praise, and just cuz it hasn't been played live doesn't mean that adds to the praise or allure of the song or w/e. It would just be fun to hear live.

or wait....were you praising Acrobat or insulting it?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:48:27 PM by DesertSky »

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »

Obviously it's not. I think he's just saying he doesn't understand why these 2 songs ar so hyped up. I'd agree i have no clue why Mercy is such a big deal to people. But Acrobat DEFINITELY deserves the praise, and just cuz it hasn't been played live doesn't mean that adds to the praise or allure of the song or w/e. It would just be fun to hear live.

Oh I definitely think that if I was played live people wouldn't talk about it today.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »

Oh I definitely think that if I was played live people wouldn't talk about it today.

UV has always been a fan-fav from AB and it being played live only served to increased the love for that song. I don't see why you think it being  played would shut everyone up about it. Or do you mean had it been played during the Zoo TV tour it would be disregarded today?

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »

UV has always been a fan-fav from AB and it being played live only served to increased the love for that song. I don't see why you think it being  played would shut everyone up about it. Or do you mean had it been played during the Zoo TV tour it would be disregarded today?

Yep, also have you checked the collection thread, I posted a pic for you

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »
I'm gonna state my opinion on why I think Mercy shoud be hyped up to be the next "One".

The lyrics from the original are up there with Bono's finest and it has a relentless guitar track that lifts my soul as the song progresses. It takes a lot for me to feel this way about a song, but the song just builds and builds to the climax. It isn't too long and the lyrics should remian the same as the original. Bono's vocals aren't his best, but they are nowhere near his worst either. I enjoy Larry's drumming aswell and I think that adds to the experience.

Acrobat is more "exclusive" because it has never been played live. Don't get me wrong, it would blow the roof off if it got played live but would that take away the "exclusivity" of it? It has always been a favourite for the fans just like "Bad" is.

I believe Mercy is one of U2's greatest ballads and you can feel the emotion in every lyric that Bono belts out. It is a very emotional experience listening to it, just because I believe everything he is saying and it just feels perfect. Not any one member is dominant on it, they all share out the honours equally. Mercy is one of my absolute favourite songs of all time, not just U2, and I hate seeing it getting discounted to the waste bin on this forum.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
I'm gonna state my opinion on why I think Mercy shoud be hyped up to be the next "One".

The lyrics from the original are up there with Bono's finest and it has a relentless guitar track that lifts my soul as the song progresses. It takes a lot for me to feel this way about a song, but the song just builds and builds to the climax. It isn't too long and the lyrics should remian the same as the original. Bono's vocals aren't his best, but they are nowhere near his worst either. I enjoy Larry's drumming aswell and I think that adds to the experience.

Acrobat is more "exclusive" because it has never been played live. Don't get me wrong, it would blow the roof off if it got played live but would that take away the "exclusivity" of it? It has always been a favourite for the fans just like "Bad" is.

I believe Mercy is one of U2's greatest ballads and you can feel the emotion in every lyric that Bono belts out. It is a very emotional experience listening to it, just because I believe everything he is saying and it just feels perfect. Not any one member is dominant on it, they all share out the honours equally. Mercy is one of my absolute favourite songs of all time, not just U2, and I hate seeing it getting discounted to the waste bin on this forum.

I LOVE the New Mercy, I did NOT love the Old Mercy.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »

I LOVE the New Mercy, I did NOT love the Old Mercy.

I'm the opposite. I love the original but I'm not so keen on the noew version. It is still very good, but it just lacks something for me, and I really don't like the "because, because" part.

northstarjo

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »

THIS

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »

I applaud your defending of this song, but to rate it up with one is a little overdone a bit. Sure, I'll admit I really enjoy both versions of the song, and the lyrics are pretty good but I don't think it meets one in any means.

The original lyrics take the word "Love" and just dump it all over the place. Now this isn't a bad thing, as the analogies in the song are very clever, but at the same time sound a bit ridiculous (weedkiller and sugar?). I like the guitar in the track, but by the end of the song it seems a bit repetitive to me, especially for a six minute track.

And my main concern over the song is that the original has NO climax. It builds and builds, and then stops. Huh? For a song like that, I think one would need a climax somewhere in the song. They did do this in the remake, but they weakened it and shortened it to the point where it sounds like any song left off ATYCLB.

But to even say it gets discounted to the waste bin of the forum is wrong in my eyes. The song is very strong and should be appreciated, just not as one of the best songs they've ever made.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2011, 03:20:02 PM »
New Mercy sucks.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
New Mercy sucks.

Obviously. The old one did have it's good moments but not keen on the new one at all.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
Eh, I kinda want to know what the bad song(s) on AB is. Not that I'm taking offense or anything... ::)

For me I feel that Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World doesn't really feel like it belongs on the album. If you take out that song then you'd have a perfect album in my opinion. I don't dislike the song, it's just that the standard of songs on Achtung Baby are so high, that this song is unable to produce the quality of the other songs for me.
Oh, it does ruin the flow. It's my least favorite song on the album... it's not bad though.
I feel compelled to rank each Achtung Baby song. Who's with me? :P

1. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
2. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (that's right, Alexander, don't insult it in my viewing!)
3. Acrobat
4. The Fly (not all the time, though...)
5. Love Is Blindness
6. One
7. Even Better Than The Real Thing (never realized how AMAZING this song is. It's the guitar and wonderful lyrics for me)
8. Until The End of te World
9. Zoo Station
10. Mysterious Ways (feel awful for putting this so low)
11. So Cruel
12. Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
You didn't have to. :D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
Ooh! Me too!  :D

1. Ultraviolet