Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 62625 times)

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #555 on: July 23, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
1. War
2. Boy
3. October
4. Joshua Tree
5. Zooropa
6. Achtung Baby
7. HTDAAB
8. SOI
9. ATYCLB
10. Unforgettable Fire
11. NLOTH
12. R&H
13. Pop

I've browsed through this thread and love how much variety there is in people's rankings. People even mix up albums from different eras.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #556 on: July 23, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. Zooropa
4. Original Soundtracks I
5. The Unforgettable FIre
6. Boy
7. The Joshua Tree
8. War
9. October
10. No Line On the Horizon
11. Songs of Innocence
12. Rattle & Hum
13. All That You Can't Leave Behind
14. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #557 on: December 23, 2017, 05:01:02 AM »
As of right now:

1. Pop
2. Zooropa
3. Achtung Baby
4. The Joshua Tree
5. The Unforgetable Fire
6. No Line On the Horizon
7. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
8. Rattle & Hum
9. All That You Can't Leave Behind
10. Songs of Innoncence
11. War
12. Songs of Experience
13. October
14. Boy

May change, but feel a bit let down.

Still the best band on the planet, just not the most interesting anymore...

...Threads that should never die.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #558 on: December 23, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »
1.Achtung Baby
2.Joshua Tree
3.No Line on the Horizon
4.War
5.Rattle & Hum
6.All That You Cant Leave Behind
7.Pop
8.Songs of Experience
9.The Unforgettable Fire
10.Zooropa
11.How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
12.Songs of Innocence
13.Boy
14.October

Offline Coop15879

• Wanderer
« Reply #559 on: December 30, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »
1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. Songs of Experience
6. Boy
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. Songs of Innocence
10. War
11. Rattle and Hum
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. October
14. No Line on the Horizon

Offline robbover

• Babyface
« Reply #560 on: December 31, 2017, 05:18:03 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. War
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. The Joshua Tree
5. Songs of Experience
6. Boy
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. Pop
9. Zooropa
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11. October
12. Songs of Innocence
13. No Line on the Horizon
14. Rattle and Hum

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #561 on: January 25, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
Its probably still too early to try this Im still not sure where Songs of Experience should logically sit yet  But, as of early 2018 for Voxs U2antheon.
TOP TIER:
1. Achtung Baby My favorite album by anyone of all time.  I plan to be buried with it.  Every single song is so, so amazing. 
2. The Joshua Tree Well, its the Joshua Tree.  I had several renewed listening sessions of it last year, as Im sure a lot of others had.   
TIER TWO:
3. The Unforgettable Fire Still very magical to me.  Includes Bad, which is my favorite U2 song.  This album still takes me to a place each time I listen to it
4. No Line on the Horizon I know Im in the minority here, but I have a very special place in my heart for this record.  This album gives me a very powerful feeling that no other collection of music gives me.
5. Zooropa So much love for this.  So many visceral feelings associated with it.  After 10:30 each night, this album automatically moves up to #3 on this list.
TIER THREE:
6. Boy I still can go through stretches where I exclusively spin this one.  What default U2 is meant to sound like.   
7.  Songs of Experience So hard to figure out where this one will end up.  Im still wrapping my head around it.  Today, Ill place it here.  However, unless theres some crazy magic that further ignites it for me in the future, or some big personal life event, this will probably be as high as it goes.  In fact, with time I could easily see it potentially falling into the lower tier.  For now, though, I like having new U2 music, and I enjoy all of the songs on this album, in one form or another.  Im just enjoying it for what it is today its been a lot to take in.
8. War There are very few U2 songs I dislike.  However, this record has two of them.   Those two songs bring down an otherwise amazing album.
9. Pop It always seems Pop should rate much higher for me, I love it so.  But it suffers the same two-song issue I have with War.   And Im not sure its aged well.  Still, creative and daring U2 is the best U2. 
10. All That You Cant Leave Behind Lets be honest, this is a pretty good album, even though its not one of my go-to U2 albums.
11. Rattle and Hum You know, for the past few years Ive come to appreciate the studio tracks more and more.  I may have prematurely maligned this record.  I like to have this type of U2 music in their back catalogue. 
BOTTOM (BUT MOST BANDS WISH THEY COULD ALBUMS LIKE THIS) TIER:
12. Songs of Innocence Ive still never really connected with it.  Maybe itll happen sometime.  There are some decent songs on here, but I just havent been able to bring myself to listen to it much since 2014. 
13. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb I liked a lot when it came out.  It hasnt aged well for me.  I wont bash it, though there are some good tunes here.
14. October Even my least favorite U2 album is an album I find enjoyment listening to.  But something has to be last, right?   

Offline bfvertigo1

• Wanderer
« Reply #562 on: January 31, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »
1. The Joshua tree
2. Achtung baby
3. All that you can't leave behind
4. Songs of experience
5. Songs of innocence
6. The unforgettable fire
7. Zooropa
8. Pop
9. Boy
10. Rattle and hum
11. War
12. No line on the horizon
13. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
14. October

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #563 on: March 29, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. Zooropa
4. The Joshua Tree
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Songs of Experience
7. Boy
8. No Line On The Horizon
9. War
10. Rattle and Hum
11. All You Cant Leave Behind
12. Songs of Innocence
13. October
14. How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #564 on: March 30, 2018, 07:36:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its probably still too early to try this Im still not sure where Songs of Experience should logically sit yet  But, as of early 2018 for Voxs U2antheon.
TOP TIER:
1. Achtung Baby My favorite album by anyone of all time.  I plan to be buried with it.  Every single song is so, so amazing. 
2. The Joshua Tree Well, its the Joshua Tree.  I had several renewed listening sessions of it last year, as Im sure a lot of others had.   
TIER TWO:
3. The Unforgettable Fire Still very magical to me.  Includes Bad, which is my favorite U2 song.  This album still takes me to a place each time I listen to it
4. No Line on the Horizon I know Im in the minority here, but I have a very special place in my heart for this record.  This album gives me a very powerful feeling that no other collection of music gives me.
5. Zooropa So much love for this.  So many visceral feelings associated with it.  After 10:30 each night, this album automatically moves up to #3 on this list.
TIER THREE:
6. Boy I still can go through stretches where I exclusively spin this one.  What default U2 is meant to sound like.   
7.  Songs of Experience So hard to figure out where this one will end up.  Im still wrapping my head around it.  Today, Ill place it here.  However, unless theres some crazy magic that further ignites it for me in the future, or some big personal life event, this will probably be as high as it goes.  In fact, with time I could easily see it potentially falling into the lower tier.  For now, though, I like having new U2 music, and I enjoy all of the songs on this album, in one form or another.  Im just enjoying it for what it is today its been a lot to take in.
8. War There are very few U2 songs I dislike.  However, this record has two of them.   Those two songs bring down an otherwise amazing album.
9. Pop It always seems Pop should rate much higher for me, I love it so.  But it suffers the same two-song issue I have with War.   And Im not sure its aged well.  Still, creative and daring U2 is the best U2. 
10. All That You Cant Leave Behind Lets be honest, this is a pretty good album, even though its not one of my go-to U2 albums.
11. Rattle and Hum You know, for the past few years Ive come to appreciate the studio tracks more and more.  I may have prematurely maligned this record.  I like to have this type of U2 music in their back catalogue. 
BOTTOM (BUT MOST BANDS WISH THEY COULD ALBUMS LIKE THIS) TIER:
12. Songs of Innocence Ive still never really connected with it.  Maybe itll happen sometime.  There are some decent songs on here, but I just havent been able to bring myself to listen to it much since 2014. 
13. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb I liked a lot when it came out.  It hasnt aged well for me.  I wont bash it, though there are some good tunes here.
14. October Even my least favorite U2 album is an album I find enjoyment listening to.  But something has to be last, right?   

Great list. Probably the most glaring difference for me is that I have never connected with UF as much as a lot of people have, much to my chagrin. Which is unfortunate because I love Bad, Pride, UF, Homecoming etc..but as a whole I havent bonded with it like I have with NLOTH. So I dunno. But yeah I agree with the list.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #565 on: May 07, 2018, 08:26:53 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Rattle and Hum
4. War
5. The Unforgettable
6. Pop
7. Songs of Innocence
8. Songs of Experience
9. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
10. Boy
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind
12. Zooropa
13. October
14. No Line on the Horizon

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #566 on: May 10, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
1.  The Joshua Tree
2.  Rattle and Hum
3.  Zooropa
4.  Achtung Baby
5.  The Unforgettable Fire
6.  Boy
7.  Songs of Experience
8.  War
9.  Pop
10.  How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
11.  Songs of Innocence
12.  All That You Can't Leave Behind
13.  No Line On The Horizon
14.  October

The order after number 6 could change next week with a mood shift.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #567 on: May 10, 2018, 08:40:48 PM »
Pop
Boy
Zooropa
AB
TJT
TUF
War
October
R&H
SOE
SOI
NLOTH
ATYCLB
HTDAAB

As a group of songs, I prefer AB over Zooropa. However, almost all those songs were taken to extraordinary heights even beyond the album when played live. Listening to Zooropa, I hear the energy of ZooTV that made AB's songs shine crackling through it, while listening to AB I crave that extra energy that isn't quite there yet, so I rank Zooropa higher as an album.

Offline U2Tim

• Refugee
« Reply #568 on: June 15, 2018, 05:49:13 AM »
1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Pop
4. Zooropa
5. All That You Can't Leave Behind
6. Songs of Innocence
7. Songs of Experience
8. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
9. No Line on the Horizon
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. Rattle and Hum
12. War
13. Boy
14. October

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #569 on: June 15, 2018, 06:37:49 AM »
I don't know, don't people's rankings change every day?

I don't listen to TJT hardly at all any more, but it changed my life, where do I put it?

I guess I'll just rank based on which ones I am listening to and most excited by these days.

1 Songs of Experience
2 Songs of Innocence
3 Achtung, Baby
4 Pop
5 All That You Can't Leave Behind
6 The Joshua Tree
7 October
8 War
9 The Unforgettable Fire
10 Zooropa
11 Rattle and Hum
12 Boy
13 No Line on the Horizon - this will move up some day
14 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - this prolly won't

That's hard because you have to understand that something can be number 12 and still so dear.

Am I the first to put SOE at number 1?