Author Topic: Rush- the Band  (Read 10771 times)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: Rush- the Band
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
They are very popular in the Netherlands.

The live DVD from their Snakes&Arrows tour was filmed there (Rotterdam)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »
At a loss for words after last night's show.

As U2 continues to get lazier and lazier with their live shows (in their playing, singing, etc) I've come to the conclusion that the guys in Rush are simply not human.

to be doing what they do as well as they are doing it at their ages is beyond words.

As usual, no opening band. Slight delay in starting to get everyone in the building. Clue for the Honda Center, with your deathly slow pat downs and entrance procedures, no way do you get 15,000 people in the doors in an hour for a 730 start.

A few classics, not too many. Some VERY deep album cuts. Nine new songs in a row to start the second set (hey, U2, if your new stuff is STRONG, people will like it and won't go for a pi*s or a beer when you play it).

Watching the concentration on Neil Peart's face or the sheer joy Geddy and Alex have when playing their often very complicated material just adds to the overall enjoyment. Master craftsmen on their instruments.

And the new twist of adding a string section for the majority of the second part of the show was brilliant, this wasn't a stuffy violinists/cellists collecting a paycheck to play some dumbed down (for them) parts, they were rocking out and into it as much as anyone and interacting with the band.

Can't wait for tomorrow's show in a much smaller venue.

I'd love to see U2 do some of the stuff (in some cases, they'd be doing it again)

Play a longer set. Take an intermission if you must, but don't give us an opening band. tickets are expensive, more U2 is a good thing).

Rehearse, take it seriously. Last two tours they weren't even sure what to open with. Drop the snippets, they drag and don't add a lot. Take the time you use for snippets and play another song.

Play smaller venues, please no more stadiums again.

Choose songs that play to your strengths : while they'll never even if they practice every day ever be at Rush's musical ability, play to your strengths. Don't play songs you can't hack any more. Geddy Lee's voice is waning badly so they played stuff he can handle easier and as a result it made for a great change up to their normal setlists.

Deep cuts : throw in a few and KEEP THEM in the set. so what if a few people pi*s and moan and go get a beer. If they are songs YOU enjoy playing, play them. your own reactions to them will impact an audiences reaction.

Extra musicians : Got a live person playing extra parts ? Give them credit, bring them on stage. A keyboard player won't disrupt the stage setup too much and hey, doing a different arrangement of old chestnuts may give them new life. you're musicians after all, be creative. They don't have to be on every song but like the lovetown tour putting a few extra people on stage, or even one occasionally isn't a bad thing.

Gibson Amphitheater tomorrow night, venue half the size of last night's, should be a blast !

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:27:43 AM by JTBaby »

Offline AchtungPop

• Numb
  • Walk On
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Not a huge fan outside the hits and a few others, but I saw them in concert a few weeks ago thanks to an extra ticket, and yes they do defy age!

They did turn me onto their song "The Garden" that they played from their new album, amazing song! Easily stands with their big hits. The entire album must be one of their best.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:06:20 PM by AchtungPop »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Child of Grace
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At a loss for words after last night's show.

As U2 continues to get lazier and lazier with their live shows (in their playing, singing, etc) I've come to the conclusion that the guys in Rush are simply not human.

to be doing what they do as well as they are doing it at their ages is beyond words.

As usual, no opening band. Slight delay in starting to get everyone in the building. Clue for the Honda Center, with your deathly slow pat downs and entrance procedures, no way do you get 15,000 people in the doors in an hour for a 730 start.

A few classics, not too many. Some VERY deep album cuts. Nine new songs in a row to start the second set (hey, U2, if your new stuff is STRONG, people will like it and won't go for a pi*s or a beer when you play it).

Watching the concentration on Neil Peart's face or the sheer joy Geddy and Alex have when playing their often very complicated material just adds to the overall enjoyment. Master craftsmen on their instruments.

And the new twist of adding a string section for the majority of the second part of the show was brilliant, this wasn't a stuffy violinists/cellists collecting a paycheck to play some dumbed down (for them) parts, they were rocking out and into it as much as anyone and interacting with the band.

Can't wait for tomorrow's show in a much smaller venue.

I'd love to see U2 do some of the stuff (in some cases, they'd be doing it again)

Play a longer set. Take an intermission if you must, but don't give us an opening band. tickets are expensive, more U2 is a good thing).

Rehearse, take it seriously. Last two tours they weren't even sure what to open with. Drop the snippets, they drag and don't add a lot. Take the time you use for snippets and play another song.

Play smaller venues, please no more stadiums again.

Choose songs that play to your strengths : while they'll never even if they practice every day ever be at Rush's musical ability, play to your strengths. Don't play songs you can't hack any more. Geddy Lee's voice is waning badly so they played stuff he can handle easier and as a result it made for a great change up to their normal setlists.

Deep cuts : throw in a few and KEEP THEM in the set. so what if a few people pi*s and moan and go get a beer. If they are songs YOU enjoy playing, play them. your own reactions to them will impact an audiences reaction.

Extra musicians : Got a live person playing extra parts ? Give them credit, bring them on stage. A keyboard player won't disrupt the stage setup too much and hey, doing a different arrangement of old chestnuts may give them new life. you're musicians after all, be creative. They don't have to be on every song but like the lovetown tour putting a few extra people on stage, or even one occasionally isn't a bad thing.

Gibson Amphitheater tomorrow night, venue half the size of last night's, should be a blast !

You're a sage among men.  I regret not seeing this tour--I've only seen them on the T4E tour--but I'm pretty floored with every live performance I've seen on Paladia, etc.  I agree with all of your points--particularly, REHEARSE that sh*t.  Don't rely on the fact that you're the biggest band in the world to carry you.  Prove it.

Offline latindrummer2112

• Stateless
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2012, 03:03:18 PM »
Hello to my fellow RUSH brethren. Echoing what has been said before, this band truly defies age and they excel in artistry and musicianship. 24 gold and platinum albums...consistently sold out arena tours..deeply poetic lyrics, and they've inspired legions of fans to pick up an instrument. Im a drummer afterall :)

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • it's a little late to grow morals now, no?
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »
Hey, if you're interested, it seems that Rush uploaded a BUNCH of videos to their YouTube VEVO account 8 days ago - I just watched the music video for the song "a Farewell to Kings"! :o

Now it's Xanadu's turn!  :D

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
Canada honours Rush with a postage stamp:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Borack

• Child of Grace
  • ... And treat those two impostors just the same.
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
Canada honours Rush with a postage stamp:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes. That's pretty cool. A red letter day for the band as they finally gain admission to the RRHOF.  I know that some people will claim that the RRHOF is a brain-dead or dubious or rotten place,  BUT even if the admin is a bit tainted, yet there are dozens of tremendous and iconic bands that have been inducted, so it is an honor to be admitted, even if perhaps long-overdue.  I would have preferred Neil Young do the intro, but I'm certain the Foo dudes will do a great job too.  Meanwhile, I'll revisit proper syntax and review the proper use of coordinating conjunctions. Where's good old EdFeat when you need her educational brilliance? Be well.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »
Public Enemy's Chuck D tweets the crowd's reaction to Rush:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
lots of video from last night:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

8)

Offline Borack

• Child of Grace
  • ... And treat those two impostors just the same.
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »

an interesting read

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Child of Grace
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »
lots of video from last night:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

8)

I think the RRHOF has found the next "Bono" of absolutely KILLER induction speeches.

Offline miryclay

• Staring at the Sun
  • Whisper to the Thunder
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
Yeah he did give a good speech at sxsw. I didn't realize he was that smart!

Offline seashells

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Let me in the sound
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »

8)

I think the RRHOF has found the next "Bono" of absolutely KILLER induction speeches.

Dave & Taylor did an awesome induction, just incredible.  I love Foo Fighters.

In a span of two years I saw Rush tour Time Machine and Clockwork Angels (hello U2?).  Hard working band who look like they are having fun.  Ditto to all JTBaby comments about the Clockwork Angels concert!

Offline miryclay

• Staring at the Sun
  • Whisper to the Thunder
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
Rush had special t shirts in honour of the Rock Hall and RSD today.