Author Topic: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?  (Read 13705 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Phenomenal performance, perfect setlist. *Only* flaw was Streets too early.

Those who say too many hits miss the point. And those who say that they played it safe clearly managed to miss the first four songs, Stay, and the entire encore post WOWY.

In what universe does playing Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, Until The End Of The World, and The Fly count as not playing it safe?  ???

In a world where exactly one of those songs is very widely known to Glastonbury-age audiences? :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
Is it only me or was there the emotional/quasi-spiritual feeling that I experienced at my U2 shows missing from tonight's show?

Wow, really? I felt the emotional thing was there more than ever tonight, especially in Bad and Moment through to OoC.

Turin and Paris must have been pretty unemotional shows, then.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
I thought it sounded good. But really to get a true vibe of a gig, you have to be there to feel the energy of the crowd, etc.

I suspect it was a highlight of this year, but "career defining" uh, no.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
Is it only me or was there the emotional/quasi-spiritual feeling that I experienced at my U2 shows missing from tonight's show?

Wow, really? I felt the emotional thing was there more than ever tonight, especially in Bad and Moment through to OoC.

Turin and Paris must have been pretty unemotional shows, then.

Or alternatively, we just have different takes on things. That's also possible, right? :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
I thought it sounded good. But really to get a true vibe of the gig, you had to be there to feel the energy of the crowd, etc.

Oh please, not that old chestnut.  I've just watched the show in High Definition.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »
I thought it sounded good. But really to get a true vibe of the gig, you had to be there to feel the energy of the crowd, etc.

Oh please, not that old chestnut.  I've just watched the show in High Definition.

So did I. What's your point?

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »

Maybe you needed 3D?

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »

What better way to see how the band is actually playing then watching it on a live video. at a show WOWY can get hidden by crowd noise, tonight front and center, we saw Bono struggle and it dated that song immensely.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »

What better way to see how the band is actually playing then watching it on a live video. at a show WOWY can get hidden by crowd noise, tonight front and center, we saw Bono struggle and it dated that song immensely.

Huh. So you say. Funny, my friends and I thought WOWY was a highlight, and so apparently did the crowd. There you go.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »

Are you a scientist examining a specimen under a microscope or someone who likes to watch a band in a live setting? Crowd noise is a part of it.

Being there is completely different from watching it on video.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
I'm not joking, I feel a little sick and sad right now as if I've become disillusioned and had my built up hopes and expectations dashed.  This is the first U2 performance I've watched live all the way through on this tour and I'm just disappointed.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2011, 05:27:16 PM »
I'm not joking, I feel a little sick and sad right now as if I've become disillusioned and had my built up hopes and expectations dashed.  This is the first U2 performance I've watched live all the way through on this tour and I'm just disappointed.

You know what the setlists have been like this tour. I wasnt expecting anything earth shattering. Honestly, it's a festival crowd.

edit: Maybe you were listening too much to the "they're going ZOOTV at Glstonburyzzz!!" Threads around here.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »

Are you a scientist examining a specimen under a microscope or someone who likes to watch a band in a live setting? Crowd noise is a part of it.

Being there is completely different from watching it on video.

My point being live a crowd knows all the words and sings it hiding the fact that Bono struggles through the song. That stuff becomes more evident watching it on a video feed.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »

You know what the setlists have been like this tour. I wasnt expecting anything earth shattering. Honestly, it's a festival crowd.

I'm not talking about the bloody set-lists, I'm talking about the performance.  It underwhelmed me.

Offline larrys pants

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »
They absolutely nailed it ! Bono has never sounded better, my wife who hates U2 loved it ! Get a life you sad lonely people bitching about the set list , they just reminded the world that they are the greatest rock band ever !!!!!!