Author Topic: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?  (Read 13604 times)

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
Re: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Almost every song was played with perfection. But the order was awkward and nearly every song was 20-30 years old. U2 can do better.

Really what did you expect? Seriously. The crowd would have walked if they started cranking out obscurities and b sides.

A festival crowd is generally a shallow crowd. They want a pop slice of a band. They don't want this or that. And they're not upset to hear the hits because they're not hardcore fans of the band who have heard WOWY or Pride for the zillionth time live.

No crowd is going to walk from a U2 show if they played Magnificent instead of Pride. No crowd is going to walk if they played Glastonbury instead of Still Haven't Found. No crowd would have walked if they hadn't played 14/19 songs from 20-30 years ago.  

The only time a crowd walks at a festival is if the act sucks or is a jerk like Kanye. U2 had that crowd in the palm of their hand with the first song. They could have played almost anything and that crowd would have been happy.

This crowd was filled with fans who have heard WOWY and Pride for the zillionth time, how else could they know the words to almost every song in that setlist?

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
This crowd was filled with fans who have heard WOWY and Pride for the zillionth time, how else could they know the words to almost every song in that setlist?

There is a bit of a difference between the crowd knowing those songs and people who watch the setlists every single show, in terms of how much they've been exposed to the song. People tend to get a lot grumpier with a song if they've noticed "oh, it's been played 22nd every night, big deal".

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
it went down pretty much as i expected music crisp and clear. bonos voice 100%. done primal scream better than primal scream done coldplay better than coldplay ;D when it comes to live music they cant be beaten . downside they played really safe no risks never even got 40 . out of control was the only song played that they have not used on 360 tour. but i guess we would only have gotten half a dozen surprises if they had about 2 weeks to prepare not when they are right in the middle of a tour u2 have never taken risks like that.. so i for one waited more in hope than expectation

Actually, they have played OOC.
lol proves my point even more

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2011, 06:13:15 PM »
it went down pretty much as i expected music crisp and clear. bonos voice 100%. done primal scream better than primal scream done coldplay better than coldplay ;D when it comes to live music they cant be beaten . downside they played really safe no risks never even got 40 . out of control was the only song played that they have not used on 360 tour. but i guess we would only have gotten half a dozen surprises if they had about 2 weeks to prepare not when they are right in the middle of a tour u2 have never taken risks like that.. so i for one waited more in hope than expectation

Actually, they have played OOC.
lol proves my point even more

Only been played a couple of times, though.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
Umm... the whole 'they were all played at 360!' thing does sort of miss the point.

No-one thinks even a little bit that songs like Out of Control and particularly The Fly were specifically debuted on the 360 tour because they were planned for Glastonbury?

Really?

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
Umm... the whole 'they were all played at 360!' thing does sort of miss the point.

No-one thinks even a little bit that songs like Out of Control and particularly The Fly were specifically debuted on the 360 tour because they were planned for Glastonbury?

Really?

I do. :D

Offline Gonk

• Babyface
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
Can I just add that this was most definitely not a U2 crowd, Glastonbury tickets go on sale and are sold out before any acts are named and that if anyone knew the songs was not just because they might be U2 fans but that U2 have maintained a phenomenal amount of success over the last 25 years especially here in the UK.
No matter what hipters might say, you'd have to be in the outer hebrides to not know the some words to a U2 song.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

Really?

So where was Glastonbury itself? (The song, I mean)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »
Can I just add that this was most definitely not a U2 crowd, Glastonbury tickets go on sale and are sold out before any acts are named and that if anyone knew the songs was not just because they might be U2 fans but that U2 have maintained a phenomenal amount of success over the last 25 years especially here in the UK.
No matter what hipters might say, you'd have to be in the outer hebrides to not know the some words to a U2 song.

Agreed. This was not a U2 crowd, and whatever anyone may say in the days to come, U2 had them eating out of the palm of their hand. This was a triumph.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »

Agreed. This was not a U2 crowd, and whatever anyone may say in the days to come, U2 had them eating out of the palm of their hand. This was a triumph.

Prove it.

satellitedog01

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
I'm not sure about the crowd. It was a given that since the Euro leg went on as scheduled Glasto would be on next year, so U2 fans bought Glasto tickets, especially UK fans who didn't get a 360 show.

Offline Gonk

• Babyface
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2011, 06:28:01 PM »

Prove it.

Prove what?? Glastonbury is bigger than any band, yes even U2.
To combat ticket fraud and unfair allocation of tickets to popular acts, Glastonbury has taken to selling tickets before any acts are named.
Glastonbury is very much a lifestyle for many people and also a gigging rites of passage for young people.
The tickets are bought in faith as Glastonbury has a history of great acts for everyone, no matter there taste.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »
satellite dog, i agree with you on a lot of things, but your piece on the bbc supplying the 'sing-along to the verse' crowd effect is simply ridiculous, even u2 aren't that powerful. maybe the crowd sang along because they knew the verses. u2 are sorta well known in the world, if not that well liked universally.

satellitedog01

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »
I didn't say the BBC did it!!! TUC wrote the Beeb will turn up the crowd singing if a performer wants them to. :-)

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 06:41:03 PM »
satellite dog, i agree with you on a lot of things, but your piece on the bbc supplying the 'sing-along to the verse' crowd effect is simply ridiculous, even u2 aren't that powerful. maybe the crowd sang along because they knew the verses. u2 are sorta well known in the world, if not that well liked universally.

Seemed tongue-in-cheek to me.