Author Topic: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »
Every song they played at Glastonbury were previously played songs from the 360 tour.

I feared that Glasto would be just another night at the office and so it proved.  Only it was 4 songs short of a regular 360 show.

Where were the 'surprises' that Larry promised in his B.S interview with the Kiwi?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Every song they played at Glastonbury were previously played songs from the 360 tour.

A really, really silly argument since some of those songs - certainly the Fly at the very least- were only played on 360 in rehearsal for Glastonbury.

Where were the 'surprises' that Larry promised in his B.S interview with the Kiwi?

Stay was a surprise to most people. Moment of Surrender was a surprise to most people. Bad was a surprise to most people. UTEOTW was a surprise to most people. (Note I'm emphasising 'people', not U2 fans. Ending with Out of Control was a surprise to everyone.

For better or worse, Larry did not promise that you, TD, would personally be surprised at Glastonbury.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »

A really, really silly argument since some of those songs - certainly the Fly at the very least- were only played on 360 in rehearsal for Glastonbury.

No it wasn't, any more than EBTTRT was.

(I see you're persisting with your customary condescending tone)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »

Stay was a surprise to most people. Moment of Surrender was a surprise to most people. Bad was a surprise to most people. UTEOTW was a surprise to most people. (Note I'm emphasising 'people', not U2 fans. Ending with Out of Control was a surprise to everyone.

For better or worse, Larry did not promise that you, TD, would personally be surprised at Glastonbury.

:D :D :D

I think you should apply to U2 for a job as their PR officer when you leave university. 

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
Perhaps they had some more radical ideas for the show that then got tossed out at the last minute?

Or perhaps they were thinking about surprising the audience there with the AB songs but decided to debut them earlier on the 360 tour instead?

And if TUC should apply for a job at Principle Management Tumbling Dice needs to apply for a job at NME so he can constantly play the "I gotcha in a lie U2!" game?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:32:41 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »

I feared that Glasto would be just another night at the office and so it proved.  Only it was 4 songs short of a regular 360 show.

The Fly, One and Streets being played 5th and 6th, Stay, Bad, Moment of Surrender, and Out of Control

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »
It has been reported that the members of the band were in disagreement over the setlist. Maybe Larry wanted to throw in a few surprises and was outvoted?

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
Seriously Tumbling Dice, WHAT WOULD IT TAKE FOR YOU TO BE HAPPY WITH THE BAND??

You've become the new Jick apparently.

The Grave

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
Seriously Tumbling Dice, WHAT WOULD IT TAKE FOR YOU TO BE HAPPY WITH THE BAND??

You've become the new Jick apparently.
:D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »

The Fly, One and Streets being played 5th and 6th, Stay, Bad, Moment of Surrender, and Out of Control

Jumbling up a 360 set-list (- 4 songs) is what you think Larry meant by 'surprises'?  ::)

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
Not sure why I'm bothering...

To the casual  music fan (IE: the Glasto crowd) I'm sure there were tons of surprises.  Those of us who obsess (like most of us here) about what U2 play every night were not surprised. 

I cannot believe that you can't figure this out on your own.  This topic and your comments in other threads lead me to believe that you're just trying to troll.

Officially bored with this.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »
Not sure why I'm bothering...

To the casual  music fan (IE: the Glasto crowd) I'm sure there were tons of surprises.  Those of us who obsess (like most of us here) about what U2 play every night were not surprised. 

I cannot believe that you can't figure this out on your own.  This topic and your comments in other threads lead me to believe that you're just trying to troll.

Officially bored with this.

You and me both.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
You and me both.

Then get over it and move on. 

No one forced you to watch the Glasto show.

I'm tired of the carping.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »

Jumbling up a 360 set-list (- 4 songs) is what you think Larry meant by 'surprises'?  ::)

The Fly (2 performances), Out of Control (2 performances), Stay (19 performances), and Bad (12 performances) have only combined for 35 performances all together on the 360 Tour, including only 14 performances combined in 2011.  Hardly a "360 setlist"

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »

The Fly (2 performances), Out of Control (2 performances), Stay (19 performances), and Bad (12 performances) have only combined for 35 performances all together on the 360 Tour, including only 14 performances combined in 2011.  Hardly a "360 setlist"

They are 360 songs, are they not?