Author Topic: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?  (Read 5280 times)

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
Re: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
The Glasto audience not in the know was IMO surprised by the Zoo TV 5 songs attack at the start.

U2 fans ? Bad and moreso Out of control.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Every song they played at Glastonbury were previously played songs from the 360 tour.

I feared that Glasto would be just another night at the office and so it proved.  Only it was 4 songs short of a regular 360 show.

Where were the 'surprises' that Larry promised in his B.S interview with the Kiwi?

The Fly, One and Streets being played 5th and 6th, Stay, Bad, Moment of Surrender, and Out of Control

Jumbling up a 360 set-list (- 4 songs) is what you think Larry meant by 'surprises'?  ::)

The Fly (2 performances), Out of Control (2 performances), Stay (19 performances), and Bad (12 performances) have only combined for 35 performances all together on the 360 Tour, including only 14 performances combined in 2011.  Hardly a "360 setlist"

They are 360 songs, are they not?

They have been played on 360, but I would hardly call them "360 songs".  Would you call Electrical Storm, Spanish Eyes, Party Girl, or Mothers of the Disappeared "360 songs"?  If U2 came out and played Your Blue Room, North Star, Every Breaking Wave, Scarlet, and Zooropa, would you freak because they played 360 songs?

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »
And it never occured to you that Fly, Real Thing and OOC were introduced into 360 with the express purpose of having them ready for Glasto?  ::)

You don't think UTEOTW, Stay, Bad and MOS were risky songs to play to people who arn't U2 fans?

You don't think playing One and Streets so early was a bit of a risk?

You don't think the casual music listener wasn't thrown by the Zoo TV opening?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
And it never occured to you that Fly, Real Thing and OOC were introduced into 360 with the express purpose of having them ready for Glasto?  ::)

They weren't.

You don't think UTEOTW, Stay, Bad and MOS were risky songs to play to people who arn't U2 fans?

No

You don't think playing One and Streets so early was a bit of a risk?

No

You don't think the casual music listener wasn't thrown by the Zoo TV opening?

What should they have expected?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »
Every song they played at Glastonbury were previously played songs from the 360 tour.

I feared that Glasto would be just another night at the office and so it proved.  Only it was 4 songs short of a regular 360 show.

Where were the 'surprises' that Larry promised in his B.S interview with the Kiwi?

The Fly, One and Streets being played 5th and 6th, Stay, Bad, Moment of Surrender, and Out of Control

Jumbling up a 360 set-list (- 4 songs) is what you think Larry meant by 'surprises'?  ::)

The Fly (2 performances), Out of Control (2 performances), Stay (19 performances), and Bad (12 performances) have only combined for 35 performances all together on the 360 Tour, including only 14 performances combined in 2011.  Hardly a "360 setlist"

They have been played on 360, but I would hardly call them "360 songs".  Would you call Electrical Storm, Spanish Eyes, Party Girl, or Mothers of the Disappeared "360 songs"?  If U2 came out and played Your Blue Room, North Star, Every Breaking Wave, Scarlet, and Zooropa, would you freak because they played 360 songs?

Well, of course they are; they were performed on the 360 tour.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »

:D :D :D

It must kill you that deep, treasured album cuts like Mothers, Zooropa, Scarlet, The Fly, Your Blue Room, and Love Rescue Me have been tarnished forever as they are now permanently branded "360 songs"

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »

It must kill you that deep, treasured album cuts like Mothers, Zooropa, Scarlet, The Fly, Your Blue Room, and Love Rescue Me have been tarnished forever as they are now permanently branded "360 songs"

Why, because they played them on the 360 tour?

btw The Fly isn't a deep, treasured album cut.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »

Yes, because they played them in the midst of greatest hits/nostalgia setlists on a stadium tour

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »

Yes, because they played them in the midst of greatest hits/nostalgia setlists on a stadium tour

I expect U2 to play their oldies during a nostalgia tour.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
Is it even possible to be nostalgic about Scarlet or Your Blue Room, songs never played in a concert setting  ???

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »
Is it even possible to be nostalgic about Scarlet or Your Blue Room, songs never played in a concert setting  ???

A nostalgia tour is about nostalgia for an artists back catalogue and not necessarily nostalgia for songs an artist has performed on tour in the past.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »

A nostalgia tour is about nostalgia for an artists back catalogue and not necessarily nostalgia for songs an artist has performed on tour in the past.

So then every single U2 tour since the October Tour has been a nostalgia tour, as the number of songs being played from the supported album is less than the amount of songs being played from albums past

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »

So then every single U2 tour since the October Tour has been a nostalgia tour, as the number of songs being played from the supported album is less than the amount of songs being played from albums past

Well, it all depends on how many songs from an artist's latest album that they play throughout the tour.  All U2's tours before Vertigo were not what I would call nostalgia tours.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »

Well, it all depends on how many songs from an artist's latest album that they play throughout the tour.  All U2's tours before Vertigo were not what I would call nostalgia tours.

The Elevation Tour only had 7 songs from ATYCLB that were played regulary

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »

The Elevation Tour only had 7 songs from ATYCLB that were played regulary

And all 7 were played, for the most part, for the full duration of the tour.

When the Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge tour kicked off they were playing 7 songs from their new album, too.  And yet many U2 fans on this forum would call it a nostalgia tour.