Author Topic: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?  (Read 5290 times)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Re: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
Two songs from their debut album was a big surprise for me. Couldn't ask for much more from a show which needed a load of hits. Just 2 or 3 more to hammer it home would have been very nice.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
I have no idea what sort of audience they faced at Glastonbury or what kind of setlist one could expect at festival like this.

That said, I was thinking they might play a song or two that had either never been performed live or was played earlier in their career and hasn't been played since- a song like Acrobat or Drowning Man or Gloria or Promenade...

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »
Nothing like a good debate to keep everyone happy! Lots of good points - no need for the general irritation being shown - looks all like good logical arguments...and I'm sure it will stay that way  ;D

As for my view...well I think we do need to take into account its a one off show to non U2 fans in general. I guess the 2 shows before Glasto were 'rehearsals' in a way but hell I'd have loved those (non patronising) rehearsals at the European shows I was at.

Larry was definitely not happy at how far the crowd was from the band and declared that on the post gig interview on the BBC. Because of the type and stature of the acts booked, Michael Eavis sets fairly firm rules around what people can or cant do. By all accounts Bono and Larry had a last minute 'tiff' before getting on stage - maybe they were debating what colour of duct tape shall we use when Bono split his trousers (again!!)

This show was a big 'non U2 fan' deal - it was about taking on the tax protesters, it was about taking on all the Bono bashers, it was about showing the UK and the world we have great songs that we can play really well live as well. Much as I would have loved to have heard Gloria, the Electric Co, '40' etc it was never going to happen.

So for me - they played as if their lives depended upon it and pretty much nailed it. Lets hope the experience will make them think about new music and also touring going forward.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »
no real surprises which was a little dissapointing but as i did say in another thread before the show it was always going to be a tall order when they were right in the middle of the us tour. if they had 2 weeks to prepare a setlist we might have got a few rare gems

Boom Cha!

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »
There weren't any surprises.

The band did say awhile back that it'd be a show full of hits, so I'm not sure why Larry said there'd be surprises.

I figured the surprise would be a new song (it did show a hint at it in that video from u2.com), but maybe they changed their minds at the last minute.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »
So here's my confusion. You are playing to a non-U2 crowd who only know the hits from what gets played on the radio and these very hits were not enough to make them fans. Sure they know the words but come on some of the hits have very simple words where you know the next line almost the first time you hear the song. So then what is the point of playing so many hits.

Onto the argument of did they practice the Fly specifically for Glastonbury. Without a doubt U2 tested out the all AB intro for Glastonbury. This is a band that is terrified to try something out without extensive practice. And then somehow talks themselves out of a song because they feel it doesnt fit the set.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

just to balance things out.  :P

;)

#@!

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »
 :D ??? :D ??? :o

officially the most random thing to ever occur on this forum.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
if you've followed u2 for any length of time and actually correlated what they say against what they actually do, you would know the Glastonbury set was par for the course.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:22 AM »
I think that even between the band members, there were still lots of disagreements even when they came on stage. I think that Larry and maybe Adam wanted it to be a little bit more risky than the two others.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

just to balance things out.  :P

;)

#@!

:D ??? :D ??? :o

officially the most random thing to ever occur on this forum.

A big thick slice of cheese.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »

As for the "poor people" who had to suffer "Glastonbury rehearsals", why was the first such rehearsal widely praised by U2 fans everywhere.

For example, compare "std" set with the "poor rehearsal" reviews

Std set

"poor fans suffering a rehearsal" set

I didn't say the fans who witnessed the pre-glastonbury shows were "poor people" who had to "suffer" them.  And if the fans reviews of those shows were favourable then perhaps U2 had been playing the wrong set-list for too long and will now play the new improved set for the rest of the tour.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »

As for the "poor people" who had to suffer "Glastonbury rehearsals", why was the first such rehearsal widely praised by U2 fans everywhere.

For example, compare "std" set with the "poor rehearsal" reviews

Std set

"poor fans suffering a rehearsal" set

I didn't say the fans who witnessed the pre-glastonbury shows were "poor people" who had to "suffer" them.  And if the fans reviews of those shows were favourable then perhaps U2 had been playing the wrong set-list for too long and will now play the new improved set for the rest of the tour.

It will be interesting to see what they play tonight - see if that was a one off or whether they will go for it until the end of the tour in this format

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »
So, they were not in control of their show?  They had the staging, light show and visuals imposed on them?

TD, the whole point is that it wasn't "their" show. Glastonbury is a festival, not a 360 tour date. U2 are one of about 30 acts performing across the weekend, and like all the rest, have to work within the limitations and constraints of the venue. I have to admit that being used to their close proximity to the audience on the 360 tour, I found it odd to see the band so far away from the audience. But that's the way Glastonbury is set up, and there isn't much U2 (or any act) could do about it.

It didn't stop Bruce Springsteen from making physical contact with his audience at Glastonbury.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
The set-up in 2009 and the set-up in 2011 were not the same. Plus there's the major factor of the rain which reportedly made it almost impossible even to *walk* on the front part of the stage.

Really, these arguments do seem to be growing more and more.... baffling. Rather than casting vague insinuations, what are you actually saying? That Bono and Edge COULD have come closer to the audience but... chose not to? Why would they do that? O.o  Does that even make sense?