Author Topic: Philly concert/tribute to the amazing meetup  (Read 11882 times)

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
Philly concert/tribute to the amazing meetup
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
(appropriate to open with- I’m getting shivers now)

Bels gave me the honor of starting this thread, since I started the original Philly thread 2 years ago. Even then I had no idea how amazing it would turn out to be!

First of all- you are an amazing bunch of people. After knowing most of you for only a couple hours... well it went from handshakes to emotional hugs in a couple minutes. I guess it helps when you meet people while crashing at 4d's (yes, I should use your forum names again... this is so strange now). I can't give anyone a low-down on the party beforehand because I was "stuck in a ditch" (read: sewing store).

To give a bit of a backstory, we are all from Siberia and on a boat to see the show when it started sinking! Then the 360 jet passed over and the band noticed and rescued us! And then we discovered we all happened to be U2 fans, right? ;)

Anyways, got to the stadium at about 5:45am to park, and were #170 something to... #180 or so (except for mandles and my terribly tolerant mom who were parking the cars and got numbers #197 and 198 I think) Apparently the line (list) started on Tuesday, direct from Toronto.

After we got settled in line and dealt with the line Nazis, we got right down to our weird crafty stuff. I guess I should explain- for some reason we were the crafty group. RTSS was making a lovely “extraordinary league of bonomen” shirt, complete with a logo. 4d, and everyone else, really, made hilarious glitterglued and scentedmarkered signs (someone post a list of the signs, k?) and I was sewing a life size, to scale replica of the Explorer.

I suppose I should probably explain that? This is my part of the review, anyways. Well it’s pretty straight forward and exactly how it sounds, Edge’s Explorer, in felt. My wishful plan was that I could get Dallas to bring it to Edge during the sound check but my true goal was to simply at least get Dallas to acknowledge it. I was trying to be realistic, so that was honestly good enough for me. Oh- and I was interviewed by some news crew and some 360 sound and lighting guys about it. :D

We brought a ton of food (packed in---- DRY ICE!!!), pita chips anyone? Oh, no, those were RTSS’ alone. :D But there was a weird trucker stop cafe under a sketchy highway. We passed a trailer for the claw that had a sign on it from one of the crew members- something like “No, I do NOT know the band, I do NOT know how you can get redzone, I do NOT know where you can get coffee and if you’re wondering what I’m doing, I’m working on my new toolbox.” ;D

Eventually, we creeped on OAP. OAP, being respectable and worrying about his image being destroyed by us, the weird online forum creepers, talked to us far away from his brother.

I spent most of my time in line embroidering “even better than the real thing” onto the side of my felt Explorer. And talking to everyone, of course. Pretty much never ending nerdy U2 banter. :D

There’s so much more to say about the line- from Jack the Security guy and apples to apples champion, to throwing clouds into the air, to seeing/meeting Bels, who graciously visited us in line- but maybe I’ll leave at least a couple things for other people to say. My mind currently can’t think of a single other thing other than the concert and all of you guys so I can’t help but rant much too long. Possibly more for my own memory than writing what you want to know. :D

Running in was… :D hectic to say the least. We got in the South Gate, which has a massive flight of stairs right when you get in (lovely) My mom lost her ticket in the madness and wasn’t able to get in for quite a while. In all honesty, I freaked out and owe so much to all my forum friends. I’ll thank you all individually later, trust me. :D Thank to some wonderful woman who found and turned in the ticket, my mom was able to get into the show and near us on the far side of the outer rail, Adam’s side.

And then our very large and very menacing security guy, Pat, decided to lay down the law for us:
“This is my side, that is your side. You can’t put anything on my side.”
Ok, Pat. Apparently, even if Bono wanted us onstage, unless Bono got off the stage to get us, he wouldn’t let us go. Like that’s gonna happen. :/

Interpol was a joke- 4d sat against the rail and played with my felt sheep, modeled after Dallas’ hair. I yawned a lot. No one knew the words- everyone just looked at each other and shrugged.

So how’d it work out with Dallas and my guitar? Well we made friends with our section of GA-ers and they all chanted “DALL-AS, DALL-AS” with us. Dallas must have had his earplugs in (to listen to the sound crew’s feedback, I guess) because he almost looked like he was going to walk right past without even glancing over. But he did a quick glance in our direction and stopped short to turn around. :D He was so shocked and made this crazy expression and smiled and nodded. 4d (again, thank you so much) made a sign that said something like “come take this guitar!” because, according to Menacing Pat, that was the only way it would work. He didn’t come yet but it doesn’t end there… :D I’ll get back to it.

CONCERT! God that took long, sorry. :D

Well U2 was certainly really into it tonight. Unlike Baltimore, Bono didn’t seem to just be saying his typical speeches. He was really connecting to the crowd, and in Bono’s own words, the crowd was just as “noisy.”

I’ll leave off for an official concert review from someone who can say something besides “unbelievable and indescribable.” But, in case you’re curious, I’ll continue on our selfish forum love. :D

During One (I think- I’m too tired to think) we had a dramatic group hug and… everything. :D Hallelujah was when I’m pretty sure we all lost it- sobbing, hugging. I… :) just, thank you everyone.

Oh and anything else happen to with my Explorer? Well during Mysterious Ways, our reliable section of GA-ers frantically were helping point out my guitar to Edge when he walked by. He noticed, gave a shocked smile and started beaming. He nodded at us and kept walking, but still kept watching us over his shoulder and he walked. And then, still watching us and the guitar, he swung the guitar up in a sort-of salute. Yes, I just about died.

He must have seen 4d’s sign about coming to take the guitar because near the encore, his body guard came around the rail near us, looking for something. He looked back and forth across the rail but we didn’t realize why until too late. :’( For something like the first time during the entire concert, I had the guitar behind the rail. Maymay pointed the bodyguard out to us but I didn’t catch everything he said so I just made eye contact and smiled at him.
Yes, he was looking for my guitar.
Yes, I am still kicking myself.

The other band interaction? I think we should leave that for Mandles to say. ;D ;D ;D

The night ended at about 4am, when we went to bed. But not without a long late night, or rather, early morning, conversation around 4D’s kitchen table and a lot of amazing s’mores (thanks 4D and Bels! ;D) And yes, a very epic and tired Bels-4D-RTSS-and me group hug at 3:33am. :)

Now to try and wrap this up- thank yous/adoration:

4D- Like I said, you are a lifesaver. I would not have been at this concert if I wasn’t able to stay with you. So honestly, I owe this entire amazing experience to you. Your posters and designs were great, and at the concert you were so energetic and crazy- it inspired me to try to keep jumping for at least one more song, every time.  

Mandles- You kept the line entertaining :D and hilarious and fun and I am so glad I went to this concert with you. I’m glad I finally got to stand with you all during the concert. :)  Definitely a fun crowd to be with. ;D I am so happy for you and your Bono DNA. :D And that wonderful sign- I’m still laughing.

Maymay- I didn’t really get the chance to thank you for it, but that hug you gave me when I was unsure about what happened to my mom in the rush was exactly what I needed. So comforting, I really appreciated it. Also- your help with getting the Edge to notice the Explorer. :D Thanks! ;D And I apologize for sometimes pushing you off the rail accidentally, and whenever I realized it I did my best to give you more room.

RTSS- your voice was higher than I expected. ;) (any forummers who read this, don’t worry, he doesn’t have a high voice. That’s an inside joke.) You are possibly the best concert-goer I have ever seen. For anyone who wasn’t there- he was jumping the whole time and singing and crazy. ;D You’re a joy to talk to and an amazing person.

Bels- I love you. ;D That's all I can say.

Starman- I know I just saw you from across the catwalk, but that expression you gave when you saw my guitar was priceless.

OAP- thanks for avoiding us. ;) Nah, it’s all good.

And let’s see how many inside jokes you guys might remember, I think this will sound rather frightening to anyone else who reads it:

-Your half face says it all
-Whale Plane
-Takes a second to smell this sign
-I just wanted to color
-Slightly more exciting than a paper bag
-Kiddens
-THE RIVER duh duh duhhhhhhh

And of course……….
-DRY ICE!!!!! (how many times now?)

Care to add to this list, anyone?

And I can report, we managed not to get too badly burned because I’m sure that was your main concern for reading this.

Who wants to add on?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:01:40 PM by dudette »

Boom Cha!

Re: Philly concert/tribute to the amazing meetup
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time. Wish I could've been there!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
I wish I could have been there. Sounds great.

Offline Mexicandyman

• Child of Grace
  • The future needs a big kiss!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:25:06 PM »
he was jumping the whole time and singing and crazy.
:D :D :D :D That's Kevin!

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
he was jumping the whole time and singing and crazy.
:D :D :D :D That's Kevin!

Danny, I miss you! ((HUG))

dudette, excellent recap and I will add mine to the thread once I am lucid, probably on Sunday. I am so sorry I had to miss the GA fun but so happy my fellow forum members had such a great time. Just to assure the rest of you, Uplate and I carried on in the stands and I will post the details.

More than seeing U2, meeting my fellow forum members has been one of the most rewarding experience of my life. I learn from all of you.
On the way to the airport RTSS and I talked about how much this forum and all of our friends here mean to each other. We really do get to carry each other.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
Well that guitar was awesome! I wish I could have actually talked to you guys. Some other time hopefully.

Offline U2_Dan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Thanks for the recap. My brother and I sat right next to you in line, it was a wonder to watch you create it throughout the day! We ended up center stage inner circle, 3rd row. I am posting 10 videos of full songs I took from the show, and have already uploaded a few. Check them out here:

Thanks to everyone I met on line - it was so great to spend the day with such friendly folks!
-Dan

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »
I love you Dudette so much right now!!! That was the best review ever. gaaah.

What a fun day and a great night!!! Great meeting so many forum friends IRL!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:03:14 PM by maymay »

Offline Mandles

• Elevated
  • It's that time of year again!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:31 PM »
It's midnight in New York City and I'm sitting on a bed next to Maymay in a very complicated hotel room...will explain later.  

Duette, your review is nearly as amazing as you are!   I can't tell you how glad I am to have gotten to hang out with you for an epicly long and amazing day!

You all deserve major shout outs...but typing on my phone is a pain.  Will do so properly when I get home.  In the meantime...DRY ICE! And please don't tell anyone of my plans for Baby Bono...or the tribute band.  

(That's what she said.)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 01:43:16 AM »
I loved bringing my brother, and he had an amazing time, BUT I SO WISH HE DIDNT COME SO I COULD HAVE BEEN WITH YOU GUYS ALL DAY.  AND IM SO SORRY MY BROTHER HAS HIP PROBLEMS WHICH FORCED US TO LEAVE RIGHT AFTER THE SHOW, I WANTED TO STAY AND SEE YOU GUYS AGAIN.

I feel like I missed out on a huge opportunity  :'(

But anyway, I LOVED meeting you guys, and it was great to see 4D again.  Just from standing with you guys for a few minutes, it felt like everyone had known each other forever or something, awesome  :) 

Your Gibson-The coolest thing ever

I kept looking back towards you guys the whole show, and from what I could see, it looked like you guys were having a blast  :)

There will be another time soon when we all get together, and I PROMISE that I'll actually spend more than like a half hour with you guys.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 02:51:37 AM »
OAP I did try to find you.  :'(

Have another grape.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
I wish I could have met more people from the forum.  :'(

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »
OAP I did try to find you.  :'(

Yea RTSS texted me saying you arrived but my brother and I were (i think, if I remember when I was notified of your arrival was) about to head into the stadium so I couldn't leave my spot.

I wish I could have met you and been around the teens more  :'(

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
Wow.

I. LOVE. YOU. GUYS.

I don't think I can really say much more than that. 

I'll post more tomorrow or later today when Providence is complete for me.  Gotta finish it off by seeing Harry Potter, which will complete this crazy circle of amazing, important experiences that have pretty much come to pinnacle this week.  But nothing will ever top off the past two days.

DRY ICE!!

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
OMFG DUDETTE!!! this is Edge looking at us and the explorer!!!!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login