Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 90079 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Teacher Man by Frank McCourt.  I love me some irish guys! 

Hey yooper I love Frank Mc Court! Angela's Ashes was a beautiful book. He wrote a lovely children's book  called Angela and the Baby Jesus which told the story of how his mom(Angela) stole the statue of the baby Jesus from the manger in church and brought it home because she thought it was cold!  Such a beautiful (and true) story! Please let me know how you liked Teacher Man. SG

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
I'm currently reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Next on tap for me is "Airframe" by Michael Crichton.

Once upon a time I used to read-I love it and want to get back to it now that my sons are a bit older. I actually did read this one and really enjoyed it. I know some people who hated it. Joe, let us know your opinion when you are done with it. Thanks!

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »
Four Past Midnight by Stephen King. ;D

Nice taste, I have mad love for Angela's Ashes, the book & the movie. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was that much like the book.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:23:31 AM by BeneathTheNoise »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »

hehehehehe read Angelas Ashes? See the film? ahem..... not something you'd read with your young kids!

Hehe, daveyg-I just posted how much I enjoyed Angela's Ashes!  Now take your mind out of the gutter-I know exactly what you are talking about!!!! ;)  It really was a great book and film.  SG

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Touch me...take me to that other place..
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »

Hey yooper I love Frank Mc Court! Angela's Ashes was a beautiful book. He wrote a lovely children's book  called Angela and the Baby Jesus which told the story of how his mom(Angela) stole the statue of the baby Jesus from the manger in church and brought it home because she thought it was cold!  Such a beautiful (and true) story! Please let me know how you liked Teacher Man. SG

SG.......did you ever by the "Irish" Poetry book I recommended?

Yooper.....I liked Teacher man!  I have read all of the McCourt  brother's books!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »

Yooper.....I liked Teacher man!  I have read all of the McCourt  brother's books!

Not yet juls. My sons keep me from getting to all these wonderful things I want to do but I promise I will. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Touch me...take me to that other place..
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »

Not yet juls. My sons keep me from getting to all these wonderful things I want to do but I promise I will. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the suggestion.

The best part is the Cd.....love hearing those Irish accents reading Irish poems...heaven!!

Offline pilgrimtogo

• Numb
  • ALL THE SECRETS, NO ONE TO TELL
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 12:17:02 PM »
Has anyone read the book The Shack, by William P Young?

I was told by a lot of people how brilliant it is. I'm only on page 5 though. Just puchased it.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
I'm probably the only person who hasn't read Angela's Ashes, or seen the movie, for that matter!

I'm reading The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates - a book club selection.  My turn is coming up soon - any suggestions?  Not too long a book, one we can discuss quickly and get down to the business of drinking the wine... ;)

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
I have just realised I am shaing a board with interllectuals! I don't have people like you guys out here! (my friends just want to get pi**ed) I love you guys *wipes tear*  :-* :-*

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »
I'm probably the only person who hasn't read Angela's Ashes, or seen the movie, for that matter!

No, I haven't read it/seen it so you are not alone!

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »

It is fantastic........I love it. This is my first book by her. Which should I read first Year of Wonders or March?

That's a good question. I read March first, but I think that's maybe a more difficult read than Year of Wonders.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
I love you guys!  'Angela's Ashes' was very moving, but I never saw the movie.  I generally try to avoid movies of books that I like.  Is that what your childhood was like, daveyg?   ;)  Hunger and poverty and sickness?  (You know you'll score big pity points if you say 'yes'.)

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »
Four Past Midnight by Stephen King. ;D

I'm a huge Stephen King fan especially The Dark Tower series  ;D

Angela's Ashes was incredible!  I didn't see the movie but will add it to my Netflix queue right now!

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »

I'm reading The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates - a book club selection.  My turn is coming up soon - any suggestions?  Not too long a book, one we can discuss quickly and get down to the business of drinking the wine... ;)

A short but very good and discussion-worthy book is "Disgrace" by J. M. Coetzee. It's a quick, easy read, but gripping and unpredictable, and there are a number of interesting themes going on. My book group at work read this, and we couldn't stop talking about it.