Author Topic: A Thread Full Of Coldplay  (Read 195920 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: A Thread Full Of Coldplay
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm never looking forward to Coldplay's song titles or lyrics. "I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"? C'mon man how much do they pay you

hahaha, no man you're missing the point. He's imitating U2's 2000+ lyrics, GET IT?!?! Martin calls it his "Intellectual-tortoise phase"

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
I'm never looking forward to Coldplay's song titles or lyrics. "I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"? C'mon man how much do they pay you

hahaha, no man you're missing the point. He's imitating U2's 2000+ lyrics, GET IT?!?! Martin calls it his "Intellectual-tortoise phase"

sigh....you guys really are missing the point.  ::)

if you read the lyrics without Chris singing them, yes. they suck. but so do Arcade Fire's. they both have lead singers who focus on the emotion and tone of their voices and sounding like NORMAL PEOPLE.  ::)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »

if you read the lyrics without Chris singing them, yes. they suck. but so do Arcade Fire's. they both have lead singers who focus on the emotion and tone of their voices and sounding like NORMAL PEOPLE.  ::)

Nah, you're just tryin to rationalize crappy lyrics. Singing crappy lyrics with REAL EMOTION! only makes it that much more embarrassing.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »
Yea I'm not budging on this one, those are crap lyrics. Not as bad as some 00s U2 though... Grace

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
Yea I'm not budging on this one, those are crap lyrics. Not as bad as some 00s U2 though... Grace ABOY/AMAAW/MDrug

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »

Nah, you're just tryin to rationalize crappy lyrics. Singing crappy lyrics with REAL EMOTION! only makes it that much more embarrassing.

no....it makes it emotional!

let me guess. you hate Journey.  ;)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »

it's not the cheesiness, it's the stupidity of the lyrics. no, i don't hate Journey. i understand one can forgive the dumb lyrics if the singer sings with conviction, but i have a threshold to what i can enjoy before i just say "oh forget it....this is beyond embarassing." for example, UC was my fav off NLOTH when it came out, now its easily in the bottom 5 with he embarassing tech-babble. sorry, we need to agree to disagree on this.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »

it's not the cheesiness, it's the stupidity of the lyrics. no, i don't hate Journey. i understand one can forgive the dumb lyrics if the singer sings with conviction, but i have a threshold to what i can enjoy before i just say "oh forget it....this is beyond embarassing." for example, UC was my fav off NLOTH when it came out, now its easily in the bottom 5 with he embarassing tech-babble. sorry, we need to agree to disagree on this.

works for me!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
+1 for everything Desertsky said

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »

no dude, +1 for YOU!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »

no dude, +1 for YOU!

;D You flatter me

Offline hartroc

• Numb
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
yes. they suck. but so do Arcade Fire's.

Don't know what you're talking about. Funeral has some of my favorite lyrics ever.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »

Don't know what you're talking about. Funeral has some of my favorite lyrics ever.

well, I was just saying that Arcade Fire is also imfamous for having extremely emotional lyrics, yet people love it when they do it, and bash Coldplay for the same thing! and I love both bands, so I don't see what Coldplay did wrong!  :P

Offline hartroc

• Numb
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 04:26:53 PM »

well, I was just saying that Arcade Fire is also imfamous for having extremely emotional lyrics, yet people love it when they do it, and bash Coldplay for the same thing! and I love both bands, so I don't see what Coldplay did wrong!  :P

That's true, but there is a line, however blurry, between emotional and cheesy. And then there's shades of innocence and sweetness that might appear cheesy to some, and intensely emotional and human to others. Coldplay's debut, for me at least, falls squarely in the "innocent-bordering-on-naievety" category. Early Arcade Fire is also sweetly innocent in some cases, and simply overwhelmingly emotional and universal in others. But as both bands have progressed, their lyrics have for the most part declined in quality. Half of The Suburbs was, frankly, embarrassing (the other half was pretty darn good). And X&Y era Coldplay was beyond cringe-worthy. "The Hardest Part, Swallowed in the Sea, Fix You..." they're all ok-to-good musically. But lyrically, they don't just cross the border to into cheesy - they're catapulted across it at the speed of sound. Viva la Vida was a big step up, but for the most part it couldn't compare to the A Rush of Blood to the Head, which actually boasts some fantastic lyrics despite the haters.

As for Coldplay's new songs...I don't know what to think. First we have Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, which is very mediocre at best and terribly sappy (not to mention gramatically atrocious) at worst. Moving to Mars and Major Minus aren't exactly poetic masterpieces either. But at the same time, Coldplay are playing new songs such as Hurts Like Heaven and particularly Charlie Brown, both of which could eventually be counted amongst their greatest. I have no idea what to expect with the rest of their new album, but hopefully Mr. Martin's got a few more Charlie Browns in him.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:30:24 PM by hartroc »

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
I see what you're saying.

for me, Coldplay is supposed to be cheesy, and I like it! it's harking back to 80s music!  :)