Author Topic: A Thread Full Of Coldplay  (Read 201106 times)

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Re: A Thread Full Of Coldplay
« Reply #4185 on: July 15, 2017, 05:29:50 AM »
Chainsmokers aside, I think the new songs are a step in the right direction, hopefully a good omen for things to come.

They certainly can't go any further with their current pompous over the top stadium pop.

I'm far from expecting something on par with AROBTTH or X&Y, but I think they can still make great music.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4186 on: July 15, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
i still don't want them making another forgettable X&Y i just hope they can make something as good as VLV again.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #4187 on: July 15, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i still don't want them making another forgettable X&Y i just hope they can make something as good as VLV again.
VLV was the beginning of the end to me.
I believe songs like Square One and White Shadows easily overshadow anything they've done post 2005.
I guess we agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:31:31 AM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline Rasmus

• Wanderer
« Reply #4188 on: July 15, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »
Coldplay has got to be the most overrated band on the planet. They are kinda like U2 only they went much much faster into stadium-sh**e mode. Their first 2 albums were good everything since then is horrible. Thats my honest opinion.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #4189 on: July 15, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
I believe songs like Square One and White Shadows easily overshadow anything they've done post 2005.

Mylo Xyloto was the beginning of the end. VLV was fine.

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #4190 on: July 16, 2017, 08:48:23 PM »

Mylo Xyloto was the beginning of the end. VLV was fine.

I somewhat agree. MX still had some really good tunes (Charlie Brown, Us Against the World, Major Minus, Hurts Like Heaven), some songs that are good-to-not bad (Paradise, Up With the Birds, U.F.O., Don't Let it Break Your Heart, Every Teardrop), and some subpar ones (Up in Flames, Princess of China). Overall, though, it's a pretty solid album that sounds better next to their next two albums than, say, VLV and AROBTTH.

Offline Discothèque Slug 82

• Babyface
  • I'm staying on to figure out my midlife crisis...
« Reply #4191 on: July 19, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »
Ghost Stories has some absolutely beautiful songs on it (Magic, True Love, MIDNIGHT, Oceans and O). MX and AHFOD have a few songs each that I enjoy listening to but Charlie Brown aside, nothing special. GS proves that they are still capable of producing occasional brilliance but VLV was for me the last great Coldplay ALBUM.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #4192 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
Ghost Stories has some absolutely beautiful songs on it (Magic, True Love, MIDNIGHT, Oceans and O). MX and AHFOD have a few songs each that I enjoy listening to but Charlie Brown aside, nothing special. GS proves that they are still capable of producing occasional brilliance but VLV was for me the last great Coldplay ALBUM.

youre absolutely right. now i basically get them and thinkin hmmmm which songs will i put in a playlist of their best stuff? any of it? none? I agree about the GS stuff, i really thought that was a step up. But now it seems its 1 step forward 1 back. MX back, GS forward, AHFOD back <ok i do like that one more than MX though>, Kaleidoscope forward/back at the same time. High highs low lows.

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #4193 on: July 19, 2017, 09:25:47 PM »

I'm with you on this. My feelings exactly.

• Babyface
« Reply #4194 on: July 20, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »

youre absolutely right. now i basically get them and thinkin hmmmm which songs will i put in a playlist of their best stuff? any of it? none? I agree about the GS stuff, i really thought that was a step up. But now it seems its 1 step forward 1 back. MX back, GS forward, AHFOD back <ok i do like that one more than MX though>, Kaleidoscope forward/back at the same time. High highs low lows.
Pleased you agree about GS, i think it is underrated and it seems to have been forgotten about amongst the stadium pop of MX and AHFOD. I even liked A Sky Full Of Stars because Chris seemed to sing like he genuinely meant it on that one rather than his more recent polite, please everybody offerings! Haven't heard all the new E.P yet but I did like 'All I Think About...'. I can imagine everything they release from now on will be a compromise between keeping the pop kids on board and satisfying long term fans. They would be best to regain the spirit of VLV (the album) and just make the music they want to make. They are pretty much in U2's predicament now!

• Babyface
« Reply #4195 on: July 20, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
:)

I'm with you on this. My feelings exactly.
Nice to know there's a couple of you that agree! :)