Author Topic: Dream Out Loud!  (Read 21031 times)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
Re: Dream Out Loud!
« Reply #570 on: December 14, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Very nice cover, Jab! I couldn't get on Soundcloud because my browser is outdated, but Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree sounded good (and I like your tree!).

What's been up in EC's creative world? Waaay too much.

1. I did NaNoWriMo and made it to 50,000 words. Finished it on December 2nd with I think a little less than 80,000 words. Can't remember the exact amount but it was exhausting; hence, I am only going to write prompts for the shcool writing club during December. I can't take any serious writing right now.

2. I tried out for district chorus and district band and got in.

3. I got a solo in chorus on the song Last Christmas, for our concert. I think I'm going to upload my cover of it to YouTube. (Speaking of concerts, band concert was last night and it went well.)

4. I made some more YouTube covers, including one on clarinet.

Going To California by Led Zeppelin: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Five Years by David Bowie: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So Cruel: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If God Will Send His Angels on clarinet: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have been very busy.

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #571 on: December 16, 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
Wow, EC, you're on fire!!  Congrats on nanowrimo, the solo, and making district band AND choir?!?! 8)

Love the covers, too. Especially impressed about the clarinet one - so cool & cute pic, too :)

And my christmas tree thanks you for the compliment :D

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #572 on: December 16, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
Thank you and you're welcome! I've been waaaay too busy doing all of this!

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #573 on: December 16, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
Time well-spent :)

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #574 on: January 11, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
*bump*

back to open mic last wednesday!  learned a couple new covers ('kite' and a song from the 80's as a tribute to elvis called 'black velvet').  also wrote a new song & posted to soundcloud ;D  happy new years resolution motivation!  should last at least til march, right?  :D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

what's new for the rest of you? 

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #575 on: January 14, 2013, 07:15:01 AM »
Go, Juli!!!

I have not done much yet since NaNoWriMo. Though I did purchase this great software for writers that I got for half price because I won NaNoWriMo. It's called Scrivener and it's REALLY helpful in organizing your stories. I love it so far. I put part of my NaNoWriMo story into it and all of that rock star novel I was writing (but did not complete) in 2011.

Then I started editing the rock star novel when I should be working on the NaNoWriMo one. Oh well. ;)

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #576 on: January 14, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »
^i love how your novel got interrupted this time by ANOTHER NOVEL!! Sounds like progress ;D 8)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #577 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
^i love how your novel got interrupted this time by ANOTHER NOVEL!! Sounds like progress ;D 8)

This is true! :) I actually am inspired to write both of them and I dont know which one I should work on! :) Too bad there are not more hours in the day!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #578 on: January 14, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
To the writers here- do you ever feel lost if you're not working on something or if you don't have any new ideas? I considered not writing anymore because I didn't have any inspiration... but then my sister said that you don't have to always be writing, you get inspired and then write and if you don't have any more ideas after that, you don't write. I took some time off from writing in December and it felt good, but now I really want to write and have no ideas... I guess it's like, what do you do now if you've done everything already? Or maybe I have to write to survive...

Prompts in our creative writing club at school are good, though. That's all I've been writing for recently. But I still feel somewhat lost.

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #579 on: January 15, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
i'm just a lyricist & poet, but remember that story about bono in school learning that some famous author (can't remember now) had a period of writers block, and bono asks the teacher 'why didn't he write about THAT?'  he ended up in a bit of trouble cuz the teacher thought he was being a smart aleck by asking, but he was apparently serious. 

enter the beginning of 'gloria'  where he's sort of stumbling for words 'i try to sing this song...'  i think he referenced the teacher story with the beginning of that song... how sometimes it's okay to write that you have nothing to write...

in other news - the first line of one of my songs is 'i'm not sure how to start this'... 

my point is that the act of writing, even if the topic is absolutely pedestrian, seems to inspire more writing for me... and you're just trying to describe your life & what's going on around you (or around your imagination) and maybe sometimes it's after-hours there, so ideas are slow... why not write about that?
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #580 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
I keep a journal and I blog for when I'm not in the mood to write anything like a story. The act of writing keeps you going and sometimes you find usable material from the junk you're just writing about. Journaling is great to keep your writing brain warm AND for pulling ideas out of your head.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #581 on: January 15, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
Do you think it's absolutely necessary to be writing all the time, though? Or is it possible for you to take a break?

Jab- I was thinking about Gloria yesterday... And The Fly. Killing your inspiration and singing about the grief is a more advanced version of tryng to sing this song... When inspiration is dead, dried up, you can write about how it feels to not be inspired, maybe.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #582 on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »
Sure, you can take a break. Unfortunately, my breaks are too long because my life is too busy. So I write whenever I can get a moment.

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #583 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
Unrelated note- jab recently was invited to be on an advisory committee for a local library hoping to raise funds through arts performances & such (cuz I filled out a form once saying I could volunteer to play/sing for events there). Anyhoo, a local web patch wrote something about this committee meeting, and by complete chance, my name appears in the same sentence as a local guitarist who played onstage w Paul McCartney at Shea stadium ??? Isn't that just fun?? ??
I feel way cooler than I really am right now... 8) :D

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #584 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »
Oh, wow, cool!! :)