Author Topic: No Line On The Horizon Worship Thread  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
No Line On The Horizon Worship Thread
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
This thread is dedicated to expressing admiration and love for U2's masterpiece of the 00s, the misunderstood gem that is NLOTH. From the rousing title track to the heartwrenching Moment Of Surrender, to the fun of Crazy Tonight, to the spine-tingling closer Cedars Of Lebanon.

Who else adores this underrated work of art?

Haters can exit stage left.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:01:28 PM by Droo »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face every time the album is delayed
Re: No Line On The Horizon Worship Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
Nearly cracks my top three, of which I thought would stay untouchable.

Easily their best work since Pop.  :)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
<-----

Offline missey

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
My second favorite right behind Achtung.
The bad rap it's gotten just annoys the heck out of me. >:(

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »
Definately their best album of the noughties.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
To me it's one of their best if not their best. It has everything you want in music I think. You can dance to some songs, sing along, there's spirit, emotion, joy, melancholy. It's a masterpiece!

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
Well...I had an Unknown Caller UNappreciation thread once and UC supporters made comments on that thread.  So worship threads, by fairness, arent privy to supporters either.  I find NLOTH to be the most forced and contrived effort of U2's career.  People say its experimental.  Well, if so, its the most by the numbers experimentation Ive ever heard.  The album sounds like 6 men with writers block who squeeze out about a dozen songs anyway.  There is a reason U2 dropped most of these songs so fast from their set list; they may have trouble coming up with good tunes, but they arent stupid.

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »
It's just a fantastic album. It's one that I'll always chose to listen to before a lot of others. It's a great addition to U2's catalog.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
One of U2's greatest albums with many shining examples of U2's excellence.  What an amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing album from NLOTH to Cedars.

Wow.

*cue the intro to Magnificent*

Offline jabw10

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »
for me, NLOTH is one of their best albums!  i rank it up there with JT & AB. 

loved 'breathe' as an opener in 2009 - loved 'moment of surrender' as a closer at each of the shows i attended (or as 'almost closer' in chicago & pgh ;)  )  even their buddy, neil mccormick, had lots of praise for MOS, in particular, during his Q&A after the pgh 'killing bono' screening (said something like:"i think moment of surrender is one of their best songs").

i think the fact they played less NLOTH songs the last leg or so had more to do with injecting AB songs into the mix leading up to the remaster of that album, and less with NLOTH songs being 'low quality,' or something.  it was fun, the last few shows, to hear people finally singing along on the 'oh's at the beginning of MOS - they finally knew it well enough to belt it out!

Offline LEMON!!! [Just don't mention Yahweh]

• Child of Grace
  • Like A Personal Text...
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Easily their best work since Pop.  :)

of course there would be smart stuff coming from someone whose sn is a LEMON!!! quote :D

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
for me, NLOTH is one of their best albums!  i rank it up there with JT & AB.  

loved 'breathe' as an opener in 2009 - loved 'moment of surrender' as a closer at each of the shows i attended (or as 'almost closer' in chicago & pgh ;)  )  even their buddy, neil mccormick, had lots of praise for MOS, in particular, during his Q&A after the pgh 'killing bono' screening (said something like:"i think moment of surrender is one of their best songs").

i think the fact they played less NLOTH songs the last leg or so had more to do with injecting AB songs into the mix leading up to the remaster of that album, and less with NLOTH songs being 'low quality,' or something.  it was fun, the last few shows, to hear people finally singing along on the 'oh's at the beginning of MOS - they finally knew it well enough to belt it out!

So U2 drops songs from their set list in order to start promotion of an expensive product they want to sell tons of units of just in time for Christmas.  Got it.  Given their penchant for abandoning artistic integrity in favor of corporate interests as of late, you might just have an argument there.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:37:48 AM by pfctsqr »

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 06:40:59 AM »
Yip - i think its a great album

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »
NLOTH was a slow grower to me. But once I got it, it has slid permanently into position 5 in my ranking of albums, right beneath where I place AB. (October-TUF-War are my top three, and it's hard to shake past those...)

Definitely their best work of the 00's. More experimental, so emotional. Initially, I didnt like the title track at all. But now it's grown on me. I didnt care for White As Snow... and now it's grown on me as well. MOS has grown more beautiful after witnessing it performed live 6x this past summer. In Denver, Bono CRIED between the last two stanzas. He turned to the band, and when he came back, you could see the tears, his wet eyes. The song obviously affects him greatly. It affects me too. Because I've hit my own moment of surrender in my past... and the words to that song just come straight from the soul, sung from the gut. It's painfully beautiful and I love it.

I'm also a huge fan of Breathe which gets bashed all over the place on here. But Breathe is my second favorite U2 song of all time... right after ASOH (my first). Breathe is like a breath of fresh air after a hard cry. I always marvel at its placement on NLOTH... right after the somber White As Snow... it lifts you up right before throwing you back down into the sad Cedars of Lebonan. This album takes you on one heck of an emotional journey and I love it.

My only regret for 360 is that I didnt see any 2009 shows when Breathe, NLOTH, and Unknown Caller were played... (Also, I would have loved to hear TUF!!! :'( ). But I did get to hear Magnificent, played in its pure form (not that crappy remix) so that was beautiful....

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »
<-----

:D :D :D :D  There goes Mod Joe stage left!

I won't leave. I adore this album. I agree MG-emotional and daring, really. I always said it is their most spiritual one since October. The boys of October became men in this one.  This album is one that you have to work for to truly reap its benefits. Though I loved it from the beginning, it grows more spectacular as things are revealed to me with each listen. There are a few fun songs in the mix that I do like very much but the others are so amazing! They go deep inside their souls and reveal things just the way they did as boys in October. It is far more personal than recent albums. It goes within them the way October did. That is why I love these two albums and do see a connection between them. Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Breathe , Cedars of Lebanon, White As Snow, Breathe and Magnificent just take my breath away.

I love this album. It may disappear the way October seems to have , but never for me. I adore both these albums. I will never change my mind. To me , Achtung Baby is over rated and these two albums are under rated. That is what makes U2 so great. There is something for all kinds of fans with each of their albums.

Oh and I think we need to start showing some more love for the spectacular Unforgettable Fire - a daring album to make after War!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:51:06 AM by StrongGirl »